Reading the tea leaves. (Mostly Oline related)

14 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

I'd rather draft or sign a undrafted Free agent that is  younger faster TE,  most of the great TE's of late have a BBALL background.

I know there was not much of College football this year to choose from but I have faith in our Staff. 

I would bring back Croom.

Tre McKitty on Day 2

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He absolutely put the TEs on blast 

One position the Bills may look to improve through the draft is tight end, which Beane spoke about on Wednesday. He referred to the seasons put together by Dawson Knox and Tyler Kroft as ‘up and down’.

“We just never got that position - at the end of the year, I thought we did a little bit, Dawson started getting in his groove - but it was never where I felt the opposing defense was like ‘Man, we’ve got to stop their tight ends from going off,’” said Beane. “At the end of the day, we’d love to have a guy like we just faced in (Chiefs’ TE Travis Kelce). They don’t come very often, but that’s what you want.”

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/sports/bills-gm-beane-discusses-falling-salary-cap-upcoming-draft-free-agency/article_4908b7a6-852e-5312-9530-17d633d21547.html

I never said he didn't but he sure as heck never said this " we practically got nothing out of our TE position" .

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know next to nothing about college football but could he change his name?  Drafting a player named "McKitty" seems...unpropitious

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Please tell me that’s his real name

This is his government name. Transferred to UGA as a grad student 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/3/2021 at 8:06 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Just curious if those tea leaves can explain why the running game fell apart this year compared to last season.  I mean the 2019 Bills running game wasn't confusing anyone with Derrick Henry, but they did look serviceable and wasn't a huge concern going into this year.  Now this is probably one of the biggest issues for next year. 

This year three of the same five from last year are back.  The one completely different change is no Spain, instead Ike once Ford went down.  This year, Ford played half the season at guard before getting hurt as opposed to last year played at tackle.  The other change is at RT with Williams, but he's been one of the more solid players this season.  I supposed it's possible that while he's great at pass blocking is/was terrible at run blocking.  Reading the tea leaves sounds like Morse doesn't fit the scheme that well, did the scheme change since last year when he seemed to be fine?

Could it simply be this season our pass game was so good, we just didn't bother enough trying to get the run game going? 

So what do the tea leaves show??

I strongly recommend that cover1 piece linked above.  It is awesome.  And yes, it reveals that Williams run blocking was not "all that"

The line was really different this year for most of the season.  RT and RG were different and RG changed 2x.  LG was a carousel,, 4 players.  Even center saw 2 players with cameo by a 3rd.

I think that we were highly focused on getting the pass game going this season, and that's part of why the run game was the "red headed stepchild"

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:18 PM, Allen2Moulds said:

I'm just a regular fan and far from an expert, but here are my 2 cents, judging by what Brandon Beane said on WGR the other day, along with another guest analyst earlier today.

They both mentioned that the running game woes werd more oline and scheme related, than RB related. Which means, don't expect pick 30 to be a RB, prob not until day 3 if any are even added. Our main focus will be 2 find a way to take the next step with the oline. Improve our run blocking without sacrificing too much in pass pro. Beane also mentioned that we practically got nothing out of our TE position. Also expect us to do all we can to improve our TE room.

Until the AFC Championship game, our oline had a phenomenal year protecting Josh Allen.  But.......we have a finesse line that couldn't create running lanes even against light boxes. That likely will be a major focus this off-season.  Expect us to roll out a more physical group up the middle. This doesn't mean that we will suddenly become a running team, we just have to be able to keep teams honest and make them pay when they don't. Teams dared us too run in the playoffs and we failed miserably.

This doesn't bode well for Morse, who not only doesn't fit the bill, but also has a large contract and is a concusion risk. I think they will resign Feliciano with the intention to move him to Center permanently.

Love him or hate him, Cody Ford is likely still part of the plan at one of the guard spots. He still has a lot of refining to do, and will likely cost us a few pass pro reps, but the hope is that he gives us more of a boost in the running game, and he's cheap. I also think they resign Daryl Williams.  He's relatively young and had an outstanding year at RT. That still leaves 1 of the guard spots up for grabs.

Projected starting 5

Dion/Boetger or Rook/Feliciano/Ford/Williams

As for TE, expect them to make 1 big splash via FA or trade to bring in a playmaking TE. TE's rarely make impacts as rookies, and I think we're ready to compete now.

I agree with most of this.

But I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Williams. He's going to be expensive and IMO they'll prioritize Milano first. No way to know, but that's how it seems to me.

That and why would you think they'd put Boettger at LT? Am I even understanding you right?

I'd guess they might have to choose between Feliciano and Morse, and that if they do, they'd go with Feliciano. So if that' is correct ...

My guess would be:  Dawkins / Ford / Feliciano / Boettger or Nsekhe or rook / Nsekhe or rook

It should be interesting.

40 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I agree with most of this.

But I don't think they'll be able to re-sign Williams. He's going to be expensive and IMO they'll prioritize Milano first. No way to know, but that's how it seems to me.

That and why would you think they'd put Boettger at LT? Am I even understanding you right?

I'd guess they might have to choose between Feliciano and Morse, and that if they do, they'd go with Feliciano. So if that' is correct ...

My guess would be:  Dawkins / Ford / Feliciano / Boettger or Nsekhe or rook / Nsekhe or rook  (If they don't re-sign Nsekhe, then Bates or a cheaper FA)

It should be interesting.