GameStop (GME) Insane Ride

Mark80

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

As far as I know, you can't unless you're an investment bank or a high net worth individual who has those connections.  Better explanation copied below:

Thanks dude. That (unfortunately) makes sense and lines up with what I was able to dig up as well.

I guess I need to find a real live Stock Broker at one of the larger players and try to leverage that? I know I won't be able to get in at the original IPO price. But would like to be as early and low as possible.

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks dude. That (unfortunately) makes sense and lines up with what I was able to dig up as well.

I guess I need to find a real live Stock Broker at one of the larger players and try to leverage that? I know I won't be able to get in at the original IPO price. But would like to be as early and low as possible.

There is the IPO price (the price underwriters sell to their clients) and the opening trade on the exchange after the IPO price (secondary market) there is no in between price.

It's quite a racket but don't kill the messenger. 

This is part of the reason the SPAC market has been so busy. The issue with SPACs is you don't know what you are buying, only known is management.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

The only IPO I was ever able to get in-on was Sam Adams/Boston Beer Company some 25 years ago.  But that was offered by them.  I got 33 shares at $15 ($500, which is all they allowed you to get).

Did you hold? Would have been a great 

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup. ;)

That's awesome.

I have a great-uncle who, in a case of more luck than brains, went along with his buddy's suggestion to get in on M&T Bank when they IPO'ed in 1980. While all his siblings were in investments and real estate, he wasnt much of an investor and got into this on a lark just to test the waters.

It is unbelievable what that one has done over the years. With one stock, he has out-performed everyone in the family, and his kids/grandkids are set well after his passing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, qwksilver said:

There is the IPO price (the price underwriters sell to their clients) and the opening trade on the exchange after the IPO price (secondary market) there is no in between price.

This is part of the reason the SPAC market has been so busy. The issue with SPACs is you don't know what you are buying, only known is management.

Thanks for the info. I'm aware that all this stuff is truly a racket to favor the big guys.

The good news is, I just checked the IPO calendar for stocks that hit the market today, and their current retail price versus the IPO price is pretty close. Most are available for me to purchase within $2 of their original IPO price. One of them has even gone DOWN since it opened.

So it doesnt look like we are too far on the outside. And if I can get in within $1-5 of the original price, I'll be happy as an outsider.

• Like (+1) 1

Update:

Buffalo Start-up darling ACV Auctions (ACVA) IPO'ed today. That was who I was trying to get in on.

Their original IPO price was estimated to be $20. They actually IPOed at $25. By the time I could get in through my lowly amateur retail account, the price was closer to $30.

All in all, not too bad of a mark-up. Especially since I'm not trying to flip this stock anytime soon. Gonna ride this out and see what these guys can do over the next few years.

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Update:

Buffalo Start-up darling ACV Auctions (ACVA) IPO'ed today. That was who I was trying to get in on.

Their original IPO price was estimated to be $20. They actually IPOed at $25. By the time I could get in through my lowly amateur retail account, the price was closer to $30.

All in all, not too bad of a mark-up. Especially since I'm not trying to flip this stock anytime soon. Gonna ride this out and see what these guys can do over the next few years.

You could have got it for 29 bucks today at a point. So it's not that off the ipo 

Let alone with how the market's going you might be able to get it below it soon

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Guess who is showing signs of life again?  Yep, that's right.  Up about 30% in last 2 days. 

Reasons:

- rumors of a fundamental shift in their business model which would support re-selling of digital games.

- stock vote on board members which many believe will expose naked short selling and trigger "the real" squeeze when the vote counts shows higher than the available shares that could vote

Still in for a whopping 8 shares since January.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

AMC with sizable gains last 3 days. Hopefully short squeeze is coming soon. 

Saw 36 today.  Know its back down today some, but a great few days for sure.  500M + shares traded though makes me nervous for a real short squeeze coming here.  GME for example, has only been having like 10M traded.  So, lots of people are selling AMC now, potentially hurting that squeeze potential.

Edited by Mark80

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Saw 36 today.  Know its back down today some, but a great few days for sure.  500M + shares traded though makes me nervous for a real short squeeze coming here.  GME for example, has only been having like 10M traded.  So, lots of people are selling AMC now, potentially hurting that squeeze potential.

It will be interesting to watch

Back a few weeks ago, GME was back down around $150 and I thought "screw it, let's get in on the fun, even if it tanks", and bought a wopping ONE share for my daughter on her custodian account.

Fast forward to today and she's outperforming my entire portfolio. That little jerk, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

On 3/22/2021 at 10:40 PM, qwksilver said:

Circling back on this IPO stuff...

Funny enough, in the meantime since we posted this both SoFi Bank and Robinhood have added the feature of allowing users to buy-in at the IPO price.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Circling back on this IPO stuff...

Funny enough, in the meantime since we posted this both SoFi Bank and Robinhood have added the feature of allowing users to buy-in at the IPO price.

I am little removed from the day to day activities for discount brokerage. I wonder how they are allocating any shares they manage to get? Robinhood's website is vague on the description of allocation. Shocking!

I don't think I've posted this. Discount/Zero commission brokers make money by receiving "payment for order flow". The man behind this wonderful idea. None other than Bernie Madoff. He actually had a very profitable market making business for a very long time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.