ROCKPILE REVIEW - Finally

Shaw66

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Original Bills fan here since 1960.  Love these bills.  Only concern is other than an aging Hughes, not seeing any Bruce Smith, C-Biscuit, Talley level players in our front 7 yet.  [Milano could be but seems to be hurt a lot] Think we have three pro-bowl secondary players in Tre White, Poyer, and Hyde, but still concerned about a good running team running through our gut.

1960.  Me too.

A few comments about this.  First, the salary cap doesn't permit accumulation of talent like in those days.   Smith, Bennett, Talley, Tasker, Reed, Thomas, Lofton, Kelly are the equivalent of $150 million against the salary cap.   That wouldn't work today. 

Second, I'm a big believer that the game is more about coaching than talent.  Yes, you have to have talent, but you just can't have enough talent to be better than everyone else.   The Bills can use a little more talent, sure, but it's coaching that makes them a top team.  A QB and coaching.  

Third, and notwithstanding what I just said, how would JJ Watt do?  He'd be a nice addition.   He's a free agent at the end of the year.  Too expensive?   I don't know; maybe not.  Here's my pipe dream:   Allen extends and gives a significant hometown discount, like Brady did.   He's worth $40 million per year or more, but suppose he agreed to $30 million.   Why would he do that?  Because he's a team guy, because he knows that everything he earns over $100 million is just funny money, because he'd like the Bills to get other talent.   It's not inconceivable to me that Beane asks Allen how he'd like to have JJ Watt as a teammate, and Allen says "I'll take less if you can get Watt."   Maybe Milano and Edmunds give a discount, too, but I'm not sure it's fair to ask them - they aren't going to get mega-bucks.   Okay, with Allen on board, you go to Watt and say:  You want to play for a winner.  That's us.  You want to play with guys who are as committed to the game as you are.  That's us.   You're from the midwest and would like to get back home, and nearer your brothers in Pittsburgh.  That's us.  You're ten years into your contract and you realize that if you want to extend your career, you have to take fewer snaps (you were over 90% in 2020).  That's us - we platoon.  We have a great QB, maybe better than the one you're playing with now, and he's taking less money because he wants guys like you to come here.   So we're offering less than you can get elsewhere (but those other teams want you on the field 90% of the time), and we're offering exactly the kind of football culture that you're dying to play in.   You're a superstar, like Allen, and it will say a lot to Allen, and to your teammates, if you take less to be here, like Allen did.  

Lots of reasons that might not happen, and there are 32 teams trying to put together the pitch and the package that wins him, but Watt in Buffalo is less far fetched than we think.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we got JJ and Hughes has one more good year left, nice combo, Star will help at the 1 tech, moving Ed Oliver to his natural 3 tech disruptor, Horrible Harry subbing for both.  Will Josh's agent allow him to take a "hometown discount". 

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

If we got JJ and Hughes has one more good year left, nice combo, Star will help at the 1 tech, moving Ed Oliver to his natural 3 tech disruptor, Horrible Harry subbing for both.  Will Josh's agent allow him to take a "hometown discount". 

It's up to Josh.  

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Just thinking, if JJ is going to sign for reasonable money, why would'nt he join his bro in the Steel City, they could call it the "mega watt" defense.

Lots of places he might sign. I was just painting one picture. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BearNorth said:

The Bills won't go big fish shopping in the off season.  Their draft picks like Oliver and Epenesa need to start playing like stars on their rookie contracts.  That is how this team will be sustainable.  These players have to start dominating

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills won't go big fish shopping in the off season.  Their draft picks like Oliver and Epenesa need to start playing like stars on their rookie contracts.  That is how this team will be sustainable.  These players have to start dominating

Yes, I agree about that.  That's how it's being built.  But Beane has added some talent each year out of free agency.  Two types of guys - guys with 4-5 seasons in the league, good solid players (that's the objective - they don't succeed each time) and the occasional veteran for special skills and leadership.   I'd put Lee Smith and Josh Norman in that category.  

There will be some free agent signings this season.  Bills will replace some of the guys playing this year with free agents.  So yes, the objective is that the youngsters will grow into stars, but I think we'll see some free agent vets sprinkled in every season.  

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Yes, I agree about that.  That's how it's being built.  But Beane has added some talent each year out of free agency.  Two types of guys - guys with 4-5 seasons in the league, good solid players (that's the objective - they don't succeed each time) and the occasional veteran for special skills and leadership.   I'd put Lee Smith and Josh Norman in that category.  

There will be some free agent signings this season.  Bills will replace some of the guys playing this year with free agents.  So yes, the objective is that the youngsters will grow into stars, but I think we'll see some free agent vets sprinkled in every season.  

On 12/31/2020 at 10:58 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the problem was contact to the QB's head.  He didn't land on him.

That is correct.

Referees will call that every times on non "running QBs" if:

1. QB did not initiate hit

2. Defender was not pushed into QB.

20 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Just thinking, if JJ is going to sign for reasonable money, why would'nt he join his bro in the Steel City, they could call it the "mega watt" defense.

He might want to go to a superbowl competitor. I don't think Pitts is one. 

On 1/2/2021 at 3:32 AM, BearNorth said:

Steelers also have very limited cap space and they have to sign their own players like Dupree, Ju Ju, Conner....they also have to extend Fitzpatrick,  Edmunds.. and they have an aging OL.