ROCKPILE REVIEW - Finally

Shaw66

Through all those years of futility, years without division titles or playoff appearances, years without respect, years of frustration, I never thought about a game where the Bills crushed the Patriots.  Yes, the Bills did beat the Patriots 31-0 in 2003, but that was before the heart of the drought.  I just wanted the Bills to be respectable against the Patriots, win or lose, and I wanted the Bills to win a meaningful game against them. 

This season we saw plenty of things that are different about Sean McDermott’s Bills.  We saw the process, the commitment, the superb players, the wins in big games.  Through it all, it never occurred to me what it might feel like to see the Bills blow out the Patriots in a game that mattered. 

The Bills had beaten the Patriots at an important point earlier in the season, but that game turned into a nail-biter and nearly a loss.  Monday night, the Bills needed a win again.  Granted, there wasn’t a lot on the line, but there was enough.  The Bills need wins to secure the number 2 seed in the playoffs, a spot that would allow the Bills to play at home for at least two games, and three if somehow the Chiefs stumble. I’m sure, too, the Bills had some desire to beat the division rival that has been their nemesis for so long, and some desire for a convincing win.

There also was something on the line for the Patriots, it seems.  The Patriots played like this game mattered to them. It was evident in their intensity early in the game; the hitting was ferocious. It also was evident when Bill Belichick threw his telephone in disgust after blowing a challenge on the Dawson Knox catch on the sidelines.

Well, I can say now that it feels good to blow out the Patriots.  Really good.  It feels good to see the Bills get the final points of the first half, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills score a touchdown on the opening possession of the third quarter, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills execute on third down and on fourth down, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills continue to attack methodically when there was plenty of time left but no hope for the Patriots.

It just plain feels good.

Josh Allen was positively Brady-like, starting slowly, getting a feel for the game.  He spent the first quarter sizing up the Patriot defense with Brian Daboll.  After what was just a few turns around the track, it was “okay, we get this, let’s put the pedal to the metal.”  Three touchdowns on three straight possessions to end the half (not counting the kneel down), and another to start the third quarter.  Allen was in complete control, operating behind a line that protected him like he was the GOAT.  Game over.  How about one more TD on the victory lap?  Okay, got it. 

I knew so very well how it felt when Brady and the Patriots did it.  Now, I know how it feels when the Bills do it.

Allen to Diggs was good early in the season, but these two now seem like they’ve been together for years.  Allen trusts Diggs to get to where he needs to be, Diggs trusts Allen to get him the ball.  They’re seeing the field together, and what they see looks beautiful. 

Diggs had another big night, going 9 for 145 and 3 TDs, including two highlight-reel scores.  On the first, Diggs outran his man from left to right across the field, and when the corner on the far side followed Gabriel Davis to the post, the entire right side of the field opened up.  Allen saw it and got the ball out to where Diggs could catch it on the run toward the sideline.  Once Diggs made the turn up field it was over.  50 yards. 

Then on what is becoming their signature play, Allen scrambled out to the left and threw hard, down, and away to a covered Diggs diving in the end zone.  It’s one of the most difficult throws to make, and one of the most difficult catches, and they do it like they’re tossing frisbees in the backyard. 

On defense, it was about the same.  They gave up a big play early, then held for a field goal.  They gave up one long second-quarter drive, powered by the Patriots’ running game  Then it was lights out.  The Patriots had six more possessions in the game:  Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt. 

Matt Milano was the standout defender.  Hard hits, solid open field tackles, a sack.  The guy was outstanding. 

This is classic-team defense.  They are so well-schooled, so athletic, and so driven, that they seem to be playing with a couple of extra players on the field.  Wherever the offense attacks, there’s a defender with a few more on the way. 

The defensive load was lightened by the fact that the Patriots don’t have a quarterback who can throw effectively or receivers who can catch consistently.  The receivers dropped a couple of big-gain opportunities, and first Newton and then Stidham missed plenty of open receivers.  They were absolutely Bills-like. 

The special teams are really good, and Andre Roberts is their poster child.  Roberts popped another long return.  Bass is kicking off short or long, depending on whether the Bills like their coverage opportunities.  The punt coverage is superb – the Bills swarmed downfield to disrupt a fair catch and get an extra 20 yards of roll.  They executed a fake punt flawlessly to give the offense the little boost they needed. 

Was it perfect?  No, Taiwan Jones, Dawson Knox, and Gabriel Davis, it wasn’t perfect, but it was darn good. 

And, ooh, it feels so good to say it: The Bills crushed the Patriots!

It will be interesting to see how the Bills play the Dolphins.  The Bills rested starters last year and then couldn’t get the job done in the wildcard game; still, resting starters is attractive.  On the other hand, a win secures the number 2 seed, and sweeping the AFC East would be satisfying.  The Bills need Beasley and Poyer back, but at least they have a week to rest them, if necessary.  It’s a tricky spot. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 11

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Through all those years of futility, years without division titles or playoff appearances, years without respect, years of frustration, I never thought about a game where the Bills crushed the Patriots.  Yes, the Bills did beat the Patriots 31-0 in 2003, but that was before the heart of the drought.  I just wanted the Bills to be respectable against the Patriots, win or lose, and I wanted the Bills to win a meaningful game against them. 

This season we saw plenty of things that are different about Sean McDermott’s Bills.  We saw the process, the commitment, the superb players, the wins in big games.  Through it all, it never occurred to me what it might feel like to see the Bills blow out the Patriots in a game that mattered

and for all the talking heads who keep mentioning it.  

A statement WIN over Belicheat. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

Two things....

1) The biggest thing i've noticed this year with this Bills team is the confidence......they've finally realized that they can not only compete with any team in this league, they can win. They can dominate and impose their will on any team.

2) The JA to Diggs connection week in and week out, especially against the Pats last night has been spectacular....JA throws to Diggs and dares teams to stop them and teams can't. No matter the coverage, man to man, zone, whatever, they can't be stopped and that has to be deflating to opposing teams defenses

• Like (+1) 5

I just rewatched the 50 yard completion to Diggs a couple of times.  That pass is *sick*, and one I would never advise making against that coverage, well, assuming that they were actually watching the ball and not the receiver himself.

It's been forever since I've seen a Bills team peaking.  This squad is peaking, and at the right time.

Regarding Miami, my thinking is the same as it was for the NE game and starters: see where you are after the first half, and adjust your substitutions as necessary.

• Like (+1) 4

Good read as always Shaw66, and yes, it does feel real good to crush pats!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Those first two TD's to Diggs.. reminded me so much of Kelly to Reed in the hey day of the K-Gun..  Short Pass, broken tackles, YAC, and TD's.  Seriously, I saw that first TD and I swear I was watching 12 to 83.

This is glorious.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Indeed, it feels great! Good write-up as usual, Shaw.

What I especially like is the comradery between these teammates.  Sure the 90s was a really good run. But they weren't at all tight like this group is. In retrospect, it seems like the 90s team was about some all-time great individuals and a coach who could keep them in control. (sort of) This years team is different. Did you see the Allen/Diggs interview on Sportscenter? Allen says its all Diggs and Diggs says its all Allen. That's a refreshing take from two budding superstars, isn't it? There are no divas on this team! This team-first approach is what has McDermott has been preaching, and its working.

I can definitely see great things on the horizon for this team that may even surpass our wildest dreams.

Edited by clayboy54
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Great post!

For your last point, Poyer entered back into the game so he should be good to go moving forward.

Beasley on the other hand is the big concern.

That's great.  I didn't see Poyer come back. 

As for Beasley, we just have to wait.  One thing that has me encouraged is that we didn't see a parade of Bills players coming by to console Beas while he was still on the bench, the way teammates do when everyone knows something big has happened.  I thought his look on the bench said "well, I'm done for the night but not for the season."  

We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 3

Yes that felt really good.

This is what I wanted the first time they played & was concerned seeing how close to the vest McD played (18 passes only) and allowing NE to stay in the game.

Time to stand up to the bully and they did.

But Shaw, stop using the word Process please😜.

Very simply McD finally trusts his QB, realizes that Offense is the key in the NFL and all is falling into place.  

As the season has gone on, they are realizing that they can step on someone's throat and put games away.  The first 8 games (including two vs. The Jets) the Bills kept games close.  Now they're learning to win and that the opponent should fear them (particularly the Offense) and not vice versa.

And yes think about it, 48 games & not one 300 yard game and now 8 (and two others over 280) and that is the difference. 

Last year the most in a game was 266.

Allen and Diggs dismembered the Pats D.

Whoever did the camera work when JC Jackson, decided to jaw at Diggs early, deserves a deal of credit. He's going to have a lot of time to try and live that down, with the way Diggs then took him to the cleaners.

The score was 3-3, when the Bills had two 4th downs in fairly short order. !st one was the fake punt. The second one was Beasley just short of the sticks on the 3rd down. Bills hurried up, Zebras got in the way, Bills still pulled a Patsy defender Offside, but Allen also ran for about 20, and the penalty was declined.

It was 3-3 at the time.

That was a huge statement of intent, and they simply followed through on it the rest of the game.

The Cheaters were even lucky on the TD run from Cam, as there was a blatant hold on Addison, that allowed Cam to get going.

They had run the football well on that drive (the Cheats), but that was their game ended.

Once again, the Bills had multiple TDs missed. Belicheck called a Time Out just before Davis was totally open into the Endzone.  Knox and Jones dropping gimme's.

The confidence of the Offense, was staggering to behold. There was pretty much always, a play that could be, and was, made - even if it was just sideways to McKenzie, with yards ahead of him to run into. Any time the Pats D wasn't perfect, they were made to pay.

The Bills D, after the first quarter or so, were solid. It helped that the Pats best throw of the evening was the telephone. ;) They could largely sell out against the run.

While the Offense was scary good, this was another team performnce. STs were good, Roberts getting good field position often, and as per usual making good decisions. Bojo hits a terrific punt, which was impressive, as he recently only seems to on the field as a holder. Bass missed nothing, again.

That was a great win, against anyone, but especially enjoyable against the Cheats, in  their own house.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Allen and Diggs dismembered the Pats D.

Whoever did the camera work when JC Jackson, decided to jaw at Diggs early, deserves a deal of credit. He's going to have a lot of time to try and live that down, with the way Diggs then took him to the cleaners.

The score was 3-3, when the Bills had two 4th downs in fairly short order. !st one was the fake punt. The second one was Beasley just short of the sticks on the 3rd down. Bills hurried up, Zebras got in the way, Bills still pulled a Patsy defender Offside, but Allen also ran for about 20, and the penalty was declined.

It was 3-3 at the time.

That was a huge statement of intent, and they simply followed through on it the rest of the game.

The Cheaters were even lucky on the TD run from Cam, as there was a blatant hold on Addison, that allowed Cam to get going.

They had run the football well on that drive (the Cheats), but that was their game ended.

Once again, the Bills had multiple TDs missed. Belicheck called a Time Out just before Davis was totally open into the Endzone.  Knox and Jones dropping gimme's.

The confidence of the Offense, was staggering to behold. There was pretty much always, a play that could be, and was, made - even if it was just sideways to McKenzie, with yards ahead of him to run into. Any time the Pats D wasn't perfect, they were made to pay.

The Bills D, after the first quarter or so, were solid. It helped that the Pats best throw of the evening was the telephone. ;) They could largely sell out against the run.

While the Offense was scary good, this was another team performnce. STs were good, Roberts getting good field position often, and as per usual making good decisions. Bojo hits a terrific punt, which was impressive, as he recently only seems to on the field as a holder. Bass missed nothing, again.

That was a great win, against anyone, but especially enjoyable against the Cheats, in  their own house.

All good stuff.  It was a dominant performance.  Thanks for adding more of the details.    

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's great.  I didn't see Poyer come back. 

As for Beasley, we just have to wait.  One thing that has me encouraged is that we didn't see a parade of Bills players coming by to console Beas while he was still on the bench, the way teammates do when everyone knows something big has happened.  I thought his look on the bench said "well, I'm done for the night but not for the season."  

We'll see. 

Well said and I hope you’re right!👍

It is so good to read all of these threads after a Pats game and not see any mention of the refs or bad calls.

Game had refs and I barely knew they were out there. 

I hope that continues 2X a year for 10 more years.

Edited by hemma
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills remind me of the Harlem Globetrotters which I got to see in person which really surprised me knowing how I know my father now.

They are having fun on the field with trick plays but when they need to can just play so well they make opponents look stupid.

Great review as always Shaw!

432008670_CLAPPING_HANDS_3D_MONOCHROMATI