ROCKPILE REVIEW - Finally

Shaw66

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The defensive load was lightened by the fact that the Patriots don’t have a quarterback who can throw effectively or receivers who can catch consistently.  The receivers dropped a couple of big-gain opportunities, and first Newton and then Stidham missed plenty of open receivers.  They were absolutely Bills-like.

Love it Shaw! Great post per usual. But I now am taking issue with the bolded. No longer, good sir! The Patriots played anything but Bills-like.:beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, hemma said:

It is so good to read all of these threads after a Pats game and not see any mention of the refs or a bad calls.

Game had refs and I barely knew they were out there. 

I hope that continues 2X a year for 10 more years.

They were there for sure, it's just that we outplayed them.

The missed hold when Cam got his TD, was awful.

I'd question the timing of the Time Out Belicheck used when Davis caught the pass in the endzone.

The PI called on Tre White early on was probably fair enough, but they didn't call worse by Pats DBs on Bills receivers as the game went on.

Bills ignored all of it and kept playing disciplined football, keeping the Zebras at bay. ;)

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Through all those years of futility, years without division titles or playoff appearances, years without respect, years of frustration, I never thought about a game where the Bills crushed the Patriots.  Yes, the Bills did beat the Patriots 31-0 in 2003, but that was before the heart of the drought.  I just wanted the Bills to be respectable against the Patriots, win or lose, and I wanted the Bills to win a meaningful game against them. 

This season we saw plenty of things that are different about Sean McDermott’s Bills.  We saw the process, the commitment, the superb players, the wins in big games.  Through it all, it never occurred to me what it might feel like to see the Bills blow out the Patriots in a game that mattered. 

The Bills had beaten the Patriots at an important point earlier in the season, but that game turned into a nail-biter and nearly a loss.  Monday night, the Bills needed a win again.  Granted, there wasn’t a lot on the line, but there was enough.  The Bills need wins to secure the number 2 seed in the playoffs, a spot that would allow the Bills to play at home for at least two games, and three if somehow the Chiefs stumble. I’m sure, too, the Bills had some desire to beat the division rival that has been their nemesis for so long, and some desire for a convincing win.

There also was something on the line for the Patriots, it seems.  The Patriots played like this game mattered to them. It was evident in their intensity early in the game; the hitting was ferocious. It also was evident when Bill Belichick threw his telephone in disgust after blowing a challenge on the Dawson Knox catch on the sidelines.

Well, I can say now that it feels good to blow out the Patriots.  Really good.  It feels good to see the Bills get the final points of the first half, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills score a touchdown on the opening possession of the third quarter, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills execute on third down and on fourth down, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills continue to attack methodically when there was plenty of time left but no hope for the Patriots.

It just plain feels good.

Josh Allen was positively Brady-like, starting slowly, getting a feel for the game.  He spent the first quarter sizing up the Patriot defense with Brian Daboll.  After what was just a few turns around the track, it was “okay, we get this, let’s put the pedal to the metal.”  Three touchdowns on three straight possessions to end the half (not counting the kneel down), and another to start the third quarter.  Allen was in complete control, operating behind a line that protected him like he was the GOAT.  Game over.  How about one more TD on the victory lap?  Okay, got it. 

I knew so very well how it felt when Brady and the Patriots did it.  Now, I know how it feels when the Bills do it.

Allen to Diggs was good early in the season, but these two now seem like they’ve been together for years.  Allen trusts Diggs to get to where he needs to be, Diggs trusts Allen to get him the ball.  They’re seeing the field together, and what they see looks beautiful. 

Diggs had another big night, going 9 for 145 and 3 TDs, including two highlight-reel scores.  On the first, Diggs outran his man from left to right across the field, and when the corner on the far side followed Gabriel Davis to the post, the entire right side of the field opened up.  Allen saw it and got the ball out to where Diggs could catch it on the run toward the sideline.  Once Diggs made the turn up field it was over.  50 yards. 

Then on what is becoming their signature play, Allen scrambled out to the left and threw hard, down, and away to a covered Diggs diving in the end zone.  It’s one of the most difficult throws to make, and one of the most difficult catches, and they do it like they’re tossing frisbees in the backyard. 

On defense, it was about the same.  They gave up a big play early, then held for a field goal.  They gave up one long second-quarter drive, powered by the Patriots’ running game  Then it was lights out.  The Patriots had six more possessions in the game:  Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt. 

Matt Milano was the standout defender.  Hard hits, solid open field tackles, a sack.  The guy was outstanding. 

This is classic-team defense.  They are so well-schooled, so athletic, and so driven, that they seem to be playing with a couple of extra players on the field.  Wherever the offense attacks, there’s a defender with a few more on the way. 

The defensive load was lightened by the fact that the Patriots don’t have a quarterback who can throw effectively or receivers who can catch consistently.  The receivers dropped a couple of big-gain opportunities, and first Newton and then Stidham missed plenty of open receivers.  They were absolutely Bills-like. 

The special teams are really good, and Andre Roberts is their poster child.  Roberts popped another long return.  Bass is kicking off short or long, depending on whether the Bills like their coverage opportunities.  The punt coverage is superb – the Bills swarmed downfield to disrupt a fair catch and get an extra 20 yards of roll.  They executed a fake punt flawlessly to give the offense the little boost they needed. 

Was it perfect?  No, Taiwan Jones, Dawson Knox, and Gabriel Davis, it wasn’t perfect, but it was darn good. 

And, ooh, it feels so good to say it: The Bills crushed the Patriots!

It will be interesting to see how the Bills play the Dolphins.  The Bills rested starters last year and then couldn’t get the job done in the wildcard game; still, resting starters is attractive.  On the other hand, a win secures the number 2 seed, and sweeping the AFC East would be satisfying.  The Bills need Beasley and Poyer back, but at least they have a week to rest them, if necessary.  It’s a tricky spot. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Shaw being all Shaw-Like, which is so very good for the rest of us.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 3

I've decided my favorite drive of the game was the last Allen TD drive. We didn't need to score there. But Allen was 1 TD away from beating Jim Kelly's franchise record and you just know McDermott was aware of that fact. And I realized this morning, in retrospect, I had zero doubt that he would get a TD on that drive. I wasn't crossing my fingers hoping he'd break the record. I was just thinking "oh cool, they're letting Allen break the record here." From the first snap of that drive (which started at the 5 yard line mind you) it didn't even cross my mind that Allen might fail to score a TD. It was that kind of night for Allen and the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Great post!

For your last point, Poyer entered back into the game so he should be good to go moving forward.

Beasley on the other hand is the big concern.

Poyer said he was good in his interview after the game.  So we'll hope no delayed symptoms.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've decided my favorite drive of the game was the last Allen TD drive. We didn't need to score there. But Allen was 1 TD away from beating Jim Kelly's franchise record and you just know McDermott was aware of that fact. And I realized this morning, in retrospect, I had zero doubt that he would get a TD on that drive. I wasn't crossing my fingers hoping he'd break the record. I was just thinking "oh cool, they're letting Allen break the record here." From the first snap of that drive (which started at the 5 yard line mind you) it didn't even cross my mind that Allen might fail to score a TD. It was that kind of night for Allen and the Bills.

He wanted that.  Did you see the pic of him snorting the salts on the sideline? 

43 minutes ago, Buddo said:

They were there for sure, it's just that we outplayed them.

The missed hold when Cam got his TD, was awful.

I'd question the timing of the Time Out Belicheck used when Davis caught the pass in the endzone.

The PI called on Tre White early on was probably fair enough, but they didn't call worse by Pats DBs on Bills receivers as the game went on.

Bills ignored all of it and kept playing disciplined football, keeping the Zebras at bay. ;)

I also thought the roughing the passer call on Epenesa was horrible as well

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bills92 said:

Those first two TD's to Diggs.. reminded me so much of Kelly to Reed in the hey day of the K-Gun..  Short Pass, broken tackles, YAC, and TD's.  Seriously, I saw that first TD and I swear I was watching 12 to 83.

This is glorious.  

When I saw the 50 yard touchdown to Diggs, I thought of training camp when Diggs yelled at Josh to lead him....and the two did the play again until they got it right....and there it was.  The receiver was trailing Diggs, Allen hit him in stride and he was gone....just like they practiced it in the summer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Don't know how else he could have hit him.

The NE TD was aided by a PI (well short of the first down marker on third down at the NE 12 yard line).  Actually I was happy top see them score as it then forced Buffalo to score, which sometimes I think they need those type of wake-up calls.

The whole game was such a sight to behold.

These days, I'm short on words to adequately describe how it feels to watch this Bills season unfold. No flukes, no "maybe we can sneak a win" hopes, just legitimately great football and legitimately dominant wins.

To be honest, I wanted the Bills to keep running up the score, the way the Pats did to the Bills all those years. I wanted 50 points. I wanted a 5th touchdown throw from Allen. But McDermott? He's much too pragmatic, practical, and classy for all that. By the time it was 38-9, he knew that they had slain the Patriots dragon, and that bigger, more important goals lie ahead.

One little thing I noticed at the end of the game was Belichick putting his arm around McDermott and patting him on the back and talking with him for a time. That wouldn't be too out-of-the-ordinary for most coaches, but it is for Belichick. He's usually just a "quick handshake and move on" kind of guy. I have a feeling he had some words of recognition and genuine respect for what McDermott has done with this team this year, and the past few years in general. 

Lastly, I'll just say that I could watch Belichick's post-game presser on a loop for the rest of the week. Sweet, sweet shaudenfreude.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Bills92 said:

Those first two TD's to Diggs.. reminded me so much of Kelly to Reed in the hey day of the K-Gun..  Short Pass, broken tackles, YAC, and TD's.  Seriously, I saw that first TD and I swear I was watching 12 to 83.

This is glorious.  

I thought the exact same thing - Diggs looked like Anrdre

2 hours ago, Groin said:

I just rewatched the 50 yard completion to Diggs a couple of times.  That pass is *sick*, and one I would never advise making against that coverage, well, assuming that they were actually watching the ball and not the receiver himself.

It's been forever since I've seen a Bills team peaking.  This squad is peaking, and at the right time.

Regarding Miami, my thinking is the same as it was for the NE game and starters: see where you are after the first half, and adjust your substitutions as necessary.

I agree with the Peaking.  Last yeara they peaked too early and when they had to play tough teams in the final quarter they limped into the playoffs..  This year they are peaking in the final quarter.   5 more games to go.  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He wanted that.  Did you see the pic of him snorting the salts on the sideline? 

Missed that.  I too had no doubt he was going to score.  I told the wife....well just more room to work with....a nice 95 yard drive!

@Shaw66
another excellent review - thanks for your re-caps!!!

Happy we swept the Pats. This team is making me feel like the 90's where we could beat anyone.

Honestly last few weeks since the Broncos game has been like blah at least to me. These are games that we are supposed to win and we are doing so and I am happy about that. I am still not over that loss against the Texans. I am enjoying this season but I feel like it doesn't matter until we win a playoff game. That's what I am looking forward to.

8 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

He's really coming along.  I don't know who the guard was on that play, but he blew by him.  I'm going to try and watch the game replay on msg and key on his play.  He just might be the answer when Jerry retires.

Thanks Shaw.   

I think that the road ahead will be hard and there will be traps and fright along the way.  But I think the time is now and the Bills must raise to meet this challenge.

Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring but the Bills are here now and the time is now.  I billieve.