ROCKPILE REVIEW - Finally

Shaw66

39 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Thanks Shaw.   

I think that the road ahead will be hard and there will be traps and fright along the way.  But I think the time is now and the Bills must raise to meet this challenge.

Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring but the Bills are here now and the time is now.  I billieve. 

Where would you rather be.. Right here  Right Now .    Go Bills.

10 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I also thought the roughing the passer call on Epenesa was horrible as well

He hit him from the shoulder and drove the QB to the ground.   They will call that a penalty all the time.  

I love Epenesa's  fire though.   He is slowly making plays.   So is Ed Oliver.    I think we will have a  good strong  DL core.  They will need one more pass rusher as Addison apperas to have disappeared  after the 1st half of the season.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

When QB gets hit in head and does not initialize contact and defender is not pushed they will call that penality.

Thanks for this.  I thought it was something like that.   

It was a really athletic play by Epenesa.  It would be nice to see him come on a bit.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this.  I thought it was something like that.   

It was a really athletic play by Epenesa.  It would be nice to see him come on a bit.

Every team should have a Samoan.  A shame if a Samoan coach would not get same advantages as some favored coaches.

10 hours ago, Logic said:

One little thing I noticed at the end of the game was Belichick putting his arm around McDermott and patting him on the back and talking with him for a time. That wouldn't be too out-of-the-ordinary for most coaches, but it is for Belichick. He's usually just a "quick handshake and move on" kind of guy. I have a feeling he had some words of recognition and genuine respect for what McDermott has done with this team this year, and the past few years in general. 

I saw that and really wanted to know what was said.  You're correct, it was an unusual gesture from Belichick.  If I head to guess, here's what I'd say was happening. 

Beclichick is a total student of the game.  He understands the game at its core, and he understands all the nuances.  Beyond that, he understands how to watch film and dissect what's happening, understands what is necessary to respond, and can innovate responses.  He loves the challenge of it all, he loves the history.   He loves all of it.   And he respects it in his way, the cheating notwithstanding.   I think Belichick sees in McDermott a kindred spirit, another guy who sees it all and who is 100% committed to putting it all together.   I think Belichick sees that McDermott is at the door of a bery exclusive club, knocking.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I saw that and really wanted to know what was said.  You're correct, it was an unusual gesture from Belichick.  If I head to guess, here's what I'd say was happening. 

Beclichick is a total student of the game.  He understands the game at its core, and he understands all the nuances.  Beyond that, he understands how to watch film and dissect what's happening, understands what is necessary to respond, and can innovate responses.  He loves the challenge of it all, he loves the history.   He loves all of it.   And he respects it in his way, the cheating notwithstanding.   I think Belichick sees in McDermott a kindred spirit, another guy who sees it all and who is 100% committed to putting it all together.   I think Belichick sees that McDermott is at the door of a bery exclusive club, knocking.  

Belichick coached arguably the best QB in the history of the NFL for many years. B B has also battled the best QB's the league has to offer, and with the help of Brady, beat them. Often on the biggest stages.  Its probably safe to say B B knows a good QB when he sees one. It would not surprise me If within the exchange which I also thought was unusual.  It would not surprise me If some praise for Josh Allen may have occured. Pure speculation on my part.  

Edited by Figster

Shaw, i hope you understand how much I, and seemingly several others appreciate the work you and Virgil do each week.  Not to take ANYTHING against other posters re-capping.  Rockpile Report and  A Few Thoughts.  But you two have done an outstanding job and I for one REALLY appreciate it

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Shaw, i hope you understand how much I, and seemingly several others appreciate the work you and Virgil do each week.  Not to take ANYTHING against other posters re-capping.  Rockpile Report and  A Few Thoughts.  But you two have done an outstanding job and I for one REALLY appreciate it

I appreciate your taking time to say thanks, as many others have, too.  It's gratifying that people enjoy reading what I write.  

Bottom line is I love the Bills and I like to talk, and this is a good place to find some people willing to listen.

Happy new year to all!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/30/2020 at 6:34 PM, The Poojer said:

+1.   TBD (in its different forms) has been where I have lived for hours/days/weeks through the last 25 years and people like Shaw, Virgiil and Bill in NYC have made this a great place to spend the hours.   Appreciate everything that SDS has provided for us to be this close virtual community.   It is great to share 2020 success of the Bills with this group of people and feel blessed.  

Happy New Year to you all.  Go Bills. Let's rock Rich Stadium back to its glory days.  

On 12/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, Sweats said:

Two things....

1) The biggest thing i've noticed this year with this Bills team is the confidence......they've finally realized that they can not only compete with any team in this league, they can win. They can dominate and impose their will on any team.

2) The JA to Diggs connection week in and week out, especially against the Pats last night has been spectacular....JA throws to Diggs and dares teams to stop them and teams can't. No matter the coverage, man to man, zone, whatever, they can't be stopped and that has to be deflating to opposing teams defenses

Dawkins expresses it perfectly:

“It just shows that we have evolved as an organization as a team that we’re nobody’s little brother,” offensive lineman Dion Dawkins said. “We’re not nobody’s little cousin, little dog, no. We are here, you’re going to respect us, you’re going to play us hard. You’re going to circle us on your schedule.”

They are really good and they know it and they are trying to bury teams.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, Shaw66 said:

He also understands that he was absolutely helpless to stop the bludgeoning he was suffering from Allen. Nothing he tried worked. He is probably having indigestion thinking about having to face him twice a year after that game...

Allen now transcends defensive schemes...he is good enough to basically beat you no matter what you try and do to him.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:46 AM, Shaw66 said:

Through all those years of futility, years without division titles or playoff appearances, years without respect, years of frustration, I never thought about a game where the Bills crushed the Patriots.  Yes, the Bills did beat the Patriots 31-0 in 2003, but that was before the heart of the drought.  I just wanted the Bills to be respectable against the Patriots, win or lose, and I wanted the Bills to win a meaningful game against them. 

This season we saw plenty of things that are different about Sean McDermott’s Bills.  We saw the process, the commitment, the superb players, the wins in big games.  Through it all, it never occurred to me what it might feel like to see the Bills blow out the Patriots in a game that mattered. 

The Bills had beaten the Patriots at an important point earlier in the season, but that game turned into a nail-biter and nearly a loss.  Monday night, the Bills needed a win again.  Granted, there wasn’t a lot on the line, but there was enough.  The Bills need wins to secure the number 2 seed in the playoffs, a spot that would allow the Bills to play at home for at least two games, and three if somehow the Chiefs stumble. I’m sure, too, the Bills had some desire to beat the division rival that has been their nemesis for so long, and some desire for a convincing win.

There also was something on the line for the Patriots, it seems.  The Patriots played like this game mattered to them. It was evident in their intensity early in the game; the hitting was ferocious. It also was evident when Bill Belichick threw his telephone in disgust after blowing a challenge on the Dawson Knox catch on the sidelines.

Well, I can say now that it feels good to blow out the Patriots.  Really good.  It feels good to see the Bills get the final points of the first half, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills score a touchdown on the opening possession of the third quarter, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills execute on third down and on fourth down, not the Patriots.  It feels good to see the Bills continue to attack methodically when there was plenty of time left but no hope for the Patriots.

It just plain feels good.

Josh Allen was positively Brady-like, starting slowly, getting a feel for the game.  He spent the first quarter sizing up the Patriot defense with Brian Daboll.  After what was just a few turns around the track, it was “okay, we get this, let’s put the pedal to the metal.”  Three touchdowns on three straight possessions to end the half (not counting the kneel down), and another to start the third quarter.  Allen was in complete control, operating behind a line that protected him like he was the GOAT.  Game over.  How about one more TD on the victory lap?  Okay, got it. 

I knew so very well how it felt when Brady and the Patriots did it.  Now, I know how it feels when the Bills do it.

Allen to Diggs was good early in the season, but these two now seem like they’ve been together for years.  Allen trusts Diggs to get to where he needs to be, Diggs trusts Allen to get him the ball.  They’re seeing the field together, and what they see looks beautiful. 

Diggs had another big night, going 9 for 145 and 3 TDs, including two highlight-reel scores.  On the first, Diggs outran his man from left to right across the field, and when the corner on the far side followed Gabriel Davis to the post, the entire right side of the field opened up.  Allen saw it and got the ball out to where Diggs could catch it on the run toward the sideline.  Once Diggs made the turn up field it was over.  50 yards. 

Then on what is becoming their signature play, Allen scrambled out to the left and threw hard, down, and away to a covered Diggs diving in the end zone.  It’s one of the most difficult throws to make, and one of the most difficult catches, and they do it like they’re tossing frisbees in the backyard. 

On defense, it was about the same.  They gave up a big play early, then held for a field goal.  They gave up one long second-quarter drive, powered by the Patriots’ running game  Then it was lights out.  The Patriots had six more possessions in the game:  Punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt. 

Matt Milano was the standout defender.  Hard hits, solid open field tackles, a sack.  The guy was outstanding. 

This is classic-team defense.  They are so well-schooled, so athletic, and so driven, that they seem to be playing with a couple of extra players on the field.  Wherever the offense attacks, there’s a defender with a few more on the way. 

The defensive load was lightened by the fact that the Patriots don’t have a quarterback who can throw effectively or receivers who can catch consistently.  The receivers dropped a couple of big-gain opportunities, and first Newton and then Stidham missed plenty of open receivers.  They were absolutely Bills-like. 

The special teams are really good, and Andre Roberts is their poster child.  Roberts popped another long return.  Bass is kicking off short or long, depending on whether the Bills like their coverage opportunities.  The punt coverage is superb – the Bills swarmed downfield to disrupt a fair catch and get an extra 20 yards of roll.  They executed a fake punt flawlessly to give the offense the little boost they needed. 

Was it perfect?  No, Taiwan Jones, Dawson Knox, and Gabriel Davis, it wasn’t perfect, but it was darn good. 

And, ooh, it feels so good to say it: The Bills crushed the Patriots!

It will be interesting to see how the Bills play the Dolphins.  The Bills rested starters last year and then couldn’t get the job done in the wildcard game; still, resting starters is attractive.  On the other hand, a win secures the number 2 seed, and sweeping the AFC East would be satisfying.  The Bills need Beasley and Poyer back, but at least they have a week to rest them, if necessary.  It’s a tricky spot. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

The is one of the best post ever Shaw.  You and I know what it felt like to win two AFL titles in a row.  This Bills team can win it all.  

See the bold. I have thought about crushing the Pats* a lot.  That is step 1.  

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Theres something like euphoria here that's a little premature, but it's fun to celebrate the excitement. 

Enjoy it!

Kind of a bit of everyone being so excited to be outside the cave that we aren't quite focused that we've still got a mountain to climb.

But we're fans I doubt the players feel like that.

Edited by Warcodered

Seems like a lot of fans in general (maybe not as much on here...) are already assuming we’ll make it to the divisional round, which scares me a tad.  But if this team has shown anything, it’s that they aren’t affected by any outside noise.

Another record that appeared to be in McDs sight was the TD passes to 13 different receivers early on.
Taiwan Jones in the game early and dropped a give me. Had to be a scripted play strictly to set the new record. 

Edited by Heathcliff
  • Like (+1) 1

Original Bills fan here since 1960.  Love these bills.  Only concern is other than an aging Hughes, not seeing any Bruce Smith, C-Biscuit, Talley level players in our front 7 yet.  [Milano could be but seems to be hurt a lot] Think we have three pro-bowl secondary players in Tre White, Poyer, and Hyde, but still concerned about a good running team running through our gut.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Seems like a lot of fans in general (maybe not as much on here...) are already assuming we’ll make it to the divisional round, which scares me a tad.  But if this team has shown anything, it’s that they aren’t affected by any outside noise.

Josh Allen is seeing the field like Tom Brady. Processing what he see's even faster IMO. Strongest arm the NFL has ever seen.  Pocket awareness and mobility off the charts. Leads by example and with an Opie "Awww shucks Pa"  boyish looks and charm that his teamates,  coaches, organization, and the whole Bills football nation have fallen head over heels in love with and we are being mesmerized by it.  Wow.

Just wow...

If theres one thing in this crazy mixed up world we can hang our hat on right now.

Its Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills...

Edited by Figster