Meaningless late season games

There are no meaningless late season games for us this season.  Just win baby!

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. Home field isn't the advantage it was when fans were in the stands. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/11/home-field-advantage-is-lie/

2. If we were playing for a bye, sure. Because that's the week off that is so valuable, which is kind of the whole point here. But we're not.

3. Of course we'll see what's at stake in Week 17 after tonight. But unless there's a tangible benefit to winning, the value of resting key starters and avoiding injury almost certainly outweighs winning the game.

You mentioned something intangible like "what it would say to the players." I don't know what to make of that. My point is that there is no evidence, not even anecdotal, that any team has reacted poorly to resting its starters ahead of the playoffs. If there's a message being sent by resting starters wouldn't it be "we're good enough to beat anyone with our regulars, so why risk playing them in week 17?" How that could be demoralizing is beyond me.

Look...I’m all in favor of resting the starters in week 17 if there is nothing at stake.  That would be obvious to anyone.  

You still didn’t answer my question though.  You’re the one that brought up Belichick.  Name a season where he rested starters with seeding/home playoff game(s) on the line.

I’ll keep waiting...

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Look...I’m all in favor of resting the starters in week 17 if there is nothing at stake.  That would be obvious to anyone.  

You still didn’t answer my question though.  You’re the one that brought up Belichick.  Name a season where he rested starters with seeding/home playoff game(s) on the line.

I’ll keep waiting...

My point was that there is no evidence that resting starters ever caused any ill effect on the team's readiness and performance when the playoffs rolled around, not that Belichick rested players willy-nilly without any consideration of the importance of winning a late season game.

EDIT: fair enough, I looked back and I think I mixed you up with a different poster making the "you'll lose your rhythm/confidence by sitting starters" point. That's the one that I think has been shown to be meritless.

I will repeat, however, that home field in 2020/21 just ain't what it used to be, and that changes the calculus considerably regarding the value of seedings. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My point was that there is no evidence that resting starters ever caused any ill effect on the team's readiness and performance when the playoffs rolled around, not that Belichick rested players willy-nilly without any consideration of the importance of winning a late season game.

EDIT: fair enough, I looked back and I think I mixed you up with a different poster making the "you'll lose your rhythm/confidence by sitting starters" point. That's the one that I think has been shown to be meritless.

I will repeat, however, that home field in 2020/21 just ain't what it used to be, and that changes the calculus considerably regarding the value of seedings. 

Fair enough, Bills brotha.  Agree to disagree.  It’s nice to even be able to have this debate though, eh?  Cheers 🍻 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

There are no meaningless late season games for us this season.  Just win baby!

Go Bills!!!

The Bills are on a roll. There are a LOT of ups and downs in any given season and I believe momentum and confidence are  HUGE factors in success. 

Having said that, I totally get the concept that Josh getting some nasty high ankle sprain (or worse) in the next two games means we are basically screwed heading into the playoffs. 

Having said THAT, this is why McD gets paid the big buck$ to make these decisions. He’s gotten us this far, so I trust whatever he decides. It may go well, it may not, but I, for one, promise not to second guess. It’s a gamble either way. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

The Bills are on a roll. There are a LOT of ups and downs in any given season and I believe momentum and confidence are  HUGE factors in success. 

Having said that, I totally get the concept that Josh getting some nasty high ankle sprain (or worse) in the next two games means we are basically screwed heading into the playoffs. 

Having said THAT, this is why McD gets paid the big buck$ to make these decisions. He’s gotten us this far, so I trust whatever he decides. It may go well, it may not, but I, for one, promise not to second guess. It’s a gamble either way. 

I agree, but consider this, “after” Josh’s separated shoulder and those loses, he hypothetically could have had the high ankle sprain you spoke of,  and we might have had Barkley starting for three or four games, and we may have had two or three more losses,  injures can happen in any game at any time..., again I hear what your saying, it’s certainly a balancing act. 👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you had to remind us ?

Sorry, but he asked?  lol

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Miami?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

JETS. 

was there a difference?

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Jets

Yes, the Jets.  Sorry.  That game was so forgettable.