CBS: Bills QB Situation "Mild Intrigue"

Rubes

With the cap the way it will probably end up, I can see a higher percentage of 5th year options being exhausted.  The thread a couple of weeks ago that the cap won’t be affected had no real facts behind it, and the numbers are the numbers. They make a nice compensation on a fifth year option and the cap will go up dramatically in 2022.  Between vaccines (football related to cap, not about covid) and new tv contracts, the inevitability of a 17th game and a 3rd wildcard team, it’s plausible the cap is such teams can afford a $40 mil. QB and not have to purge a significant amount of players from a team.

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

With the cap the way it will probably end up, I can see a higher percentage of 5th year options being exhausted.  The thread a couple of weeks ago that the cap won’t be affected had no real facts behind it, and the numbers are the numbers. They make a nice compensation on a fifth year option and the cap will go up dramatically in 2022.  Between vaccines (football related to cap, not about covid) and new tv contracts, the inevitability of a 17th game and a 3rd wildcard team, it’s plausible the cap is such teams can afford a $40 mil. QB and not have to purge a significant amount of players from a team.

For 2021, the only QBs who would have been considered for a 5th year option were Mahomes and Watson, who got their extensions and whose teams are at least $14M over the 2021 cap already, and Trubisky, whose 5th year option was declined.  The 2018 QBs will have a 5th year option for the 2022 season, which would have had a much higher cap anyway.

As for the cap next season, I have no doubt it will be higher.  A lot of teams will need to make cuts if it isn't and the majority of Americans will be vaccinated by the time the season rolls around.  It makes too much sense for both sides to come to a compromise that takes some money from 2022 and puts it into 2021.  And then, as you said, there is the 17th game and extra playoff game that will also boost revenues and I'm sure the NFL already knows what numbers they're going to be seeing from the new contracts.

Edited by Doc

On 12/23/2020 at 7:17 PM, Warcodered said:

So I guess we're on the list because we're in the part of Josh's rookie deal where QBs get extended. I don't see in what world that obviously isn't happening though.

I'd pick up the fifth year option, but I'm not extending him yet. He needs to show me he is truly elite by having a great year next year before I back the Brinks truck up.