Since when do rookie 2nd/3rd rounders

SDS

While I am just as curious about these picks as some of you are - I don't understand the analysis that says, "we didn't pick a left tackle in the 2nd round therefore we will suck this year."

Do 2nd round OLineman really tip the scales between 6-10 and 10-6?

Perhaps there is concern a year or two out from now, but I don't see how NOT drafting a new LT or C makes that much of a difference THIS year.

I think many solid LTs go in the second round. Matt Light of the Patriots and Marvel Smith of the Steelers just to name a couple. Also even if we draft a LT in the second there is no gurantee he could come in and be as good as our present options Gandy and Teague.

I agree. Even first round o-linemen take a couple of seasons to develop. Whereas, Parrish can have an immediate impact on our special teams and his speed can help the offense immediately as a slot receiver.

I agree.  Even first round o-linemen take a couple of seasons to develop.  Whereas, Parrish can have an immediate impact on our special teams and his speed can help the offense immediately as a slot receiver.

315482[/snapback]

I agree Parrish can have an immediate impact on Special teams. Not so sure on receiver it even too Lee Evans a few games to become a solid contributer. That is why if we were going to upgrade our 3rd WR I would have liked to have done it in free agency.

The difference being that Lee Evans essentially needed to come in and be one of our Top 2 WR's. Parrish will be coming in to a *much* more favorable situation with Moulds and Evans already solidly established.

I hope Parrish knows to "stay in his lanes" on kick coverage. ;-)

JDG

Hochstein at C and another rookie at T were starting in the Pats' second SB win....

I give TD a lot of latitude b/c he's the man w/ the plan. To me, these two picks don't sit right, as there are more important areas to plug w/ backups. Who knows, but he'd be wise to sift through the detritus and pick up a C and DT tomorrow.

There have been second and third round ol picks that have contributed immediately, as noted above (plus Fabini of the Jets, I think).

It seems that we have needs at the position that are not being fulfilled. I believe that Teague is a free agent next year and our talent behind the starters seems thin.

Drafting ol would have made sense, but other than Williams, TD has not been inclined to address the position with high picks. We will see who plays left tackle and whether Losman, essentially a rookie, has the protection he will need.

Every single year the Pats and Eagles draft a slew of o-linemen.  If you want to win the lottery you'll need to buy a ticket...

315532[/snapback]

Pittsburgh too, in most years. Don't understand TD's thinking on what kind of offense we're going to have -- is it wide open, run & gun or smash mouth?

The best Guard in football-Will Shields- was drafted in the third round. The greatest center in history- Dermonti Dawson- was drafted in the second round. Last years probowl starter Tom Nalen was drafted in the 7th round. Probowler Kevin Mawae was drafted in the second round, Probowler Larry Allen was drafted in the second round, probowler Matt Birk was drafted in the seventh round, probowler Olin Kreutz was drafted in the third round, probowler Marco Rivera was drafted in the sixth round..........The best lines in the NFL are widely regarded to be Green Bays and Denvers. Quick- please name some first rounders on either line.............................

Pittsburgh too, in most years.  Don't understand TD's thinking on what kind of offense we're going to have -- is it wide open, run & gun or smash mouth?

315539[/snapback]

Exactally.....I think we are seeing the return of the K-Gun.

You will probably get the answer tomorrow. If we go after a 3rd down type back, like a Pearman out of Virginia, we may be looking at an offense that uses a pass to set up the run. With JP's mobility, he becomes a RB in his own right on empty backfield plays.

I am not thrilled about the picks themselves, but I like the potential philosophy shift.

The best Guard in football-Will Shields- was drafted in the third round.  The greatest center in history- Dermonti Dawson- was drafted in the second round.  Last years probowl starter Tom Nalen was drafted in the 7th round.  Probowler Kevin Mawae was drafted in the second round,  Probowler Larry Allen was drafted in the second round, probowler Matt Birk was drafted in the seventh round, probowler Olin Kreutz was drafted in the third round, probowler Marco Rivera was drafted in the sixth round..........The best lines in the NFL are widely regarded to be Green Bays and Denvers.  Quick- please name some first rounders on either line.............................

315552[/snapback]

thanks slappy...

the point was did all those players START and perform at a HIGH level their rookie season? Was their play so steller that it made the difference between winning and losing 4+ games THAT year?

Maybe you can find examples, but I think on average the answer is "no".

Scott, you are correct no doubt.

I dont know enough about this kid to like or dislike the pick. What concerns me is that no matter who the Bills GM is, blocking seems to be something of an after thought. Then, when we do grab an early blocker in the draft, he turns out to be a 9 million dollar whale.

The steelers took out their starting blockers and put in substitutes who pushed our 3rd ranked defense around. I just think that having a strong and deep OL is the way to win football games, especially for a team that plays in the cold and calls it's offense "smashmouth." :w00t:

Having said all that, maybe there were no offensive linemen that TD and company liked that much at all. I dont know, but count me as one who thinks that it is time for TD to produce, or be shown the door.

Exactally.....I think we are seeing the return of the K-Gun.

You will probably get the answer tomorrow. If we go after a 3rd down type back, like a Pearman out of Virginia, we may be looking at an offense that uses a pass to set up the run. With JP's mobility, he becomes a RB in his own right on empty backfield plays.

I am not thrilled about the picks themselves, but I like the potential philosophy shift.

315558[/snapback]

I guess I'm in he "wait and see" camp on this. Every year we hear "smash mouth" in the off-season and end up with something else when the bullets are real.

thanks slappy...

the point was did all those players START and perform at a HIGH level their rookie season?  Was their play so steller that it made the difference between winning and losing 4+ games THAT year?

Maybe you can find examples, but I think on average the answer is "no".

315561[/snapback]

there you go jackass-

Marco Rivera Packers 3rd Pro Bowl selection

C Matt Birk Vikings 4th Pro Bowl selection

C Olin Kreutz Bears 4th Pro Bowl selection

do your own homework

there you go jackass-

Marco Rivera  Packers  3rd Pro Bowl selection 

C  Matt Birk  Vikings  4th Pro Bowl selection 

C  Olin Kreutz  Bears  4th Pro Bowl selection

do your own homework

315570[/snapback]

Steller analysis. I can find examples of just about any situation also. It doesn't mean that the outcome is expected, nor even likely.

I can always trot out Darrel Green in response to short CB arguments, but that doesn't mean we target 5'7" CB's now does it?

Steller analysis.  I can find examples of just about any situation also.  It doesn't mean that the outcome is expected, nor even likely.

I can always trot out Darrel Green in response to short CB arguments, but that doesn't mean we target 5'7" CB's now does it?

315578[/snapback]

I gave you the fact that 7 of last years probowl linemen were drafted round 2 or later. I also pointed out that the two best lines in football-Denver and Greenbay- are made up of midrounders. You want to know what difference a second round pick rookie can make? Ask Tom Brady about Matt Light

"I can't make bricks without clay." -- Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches"

TD needs to get something in rounds 4-7. Because the starting LT (or C if they switch Teague) doesn't appear to be on the roster. And the Shelton trade which looked like crapola before is dead (This is for the best, I'd say). Not saying he needs a blue chipper, but he does need to pick up a warm body, at least.

there you go jackass-

Marco Rivera  Packers  3rd Pro Bowl selection

C  Matt Birk  Vikings  4th Pro Bowl selection

C  Olin Kreutz  Bears  4th Pro Bowl selection

do your own homework

315582[/snapback]

I lust looked up Kreutz, Birk, and Rivera and I have come to the conclusion that you are borderline retarded (despite your public MENSA membership pronouncements).

None of those guys made the pro-bowl their rookie season, which was the SOLE point of my argument.

Now, perhaps you should get some sleep. You have a slow-pitch softball game to rest up for this week. Gotta have the energy to hit those bombs and impress the ladies!!!!