A Few Thoughts about the Steelers Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It's basically saying if the referee, properly positioned directly under the goal post,  sees any part of the ball on the outside as it passes over the post the attempt is no good. You can't ask a ref to  measure how much of the ball is inside a goal post. There's enough gray area there if the ball doesn't have a true upright spin etc.

Just keep it away from the posts or below their tops.

Why don't the goal posts have that camera on them anymore that looked straight up?  Seems like an easy solve

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why don't the goal posts have that camera on them anymore that looked straight up?  Seems like an easy solve

If you're going to do that, you might as well invest in the ball tracking technology the premier league uses to tell when a goal is scored. No reason to rely on a camera. It's ridiculous they don't have it already.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/16/2020 at 8:00 AM, RochesterLifer said:

Thank you for the thoughtful and enjoyable write-up. Regarding:

#1. I had the thrill of seeing Pele play as a Cosmo against the Rochester Lancers back in the NASL days - a treat I'll never forget.

Yup, I was at that game too.  August '77.

It was a BIG deal in Rochester.

Pele scored a goal and played along Franz Beckenbauer.  Bicycle kick too!

On 12/15/2020 at 10:48 PM, HappyDays said:

I give Daboll a ton of credit for making those adjustments at halftime but I also wish that had been the original game plan. It's not like Pittsburgh's pass rush is a surprise. You don't go against Watt and Heyward and expect long developing routes to open up. I thought the 1st half gameplan was just terrible and thankfully the defense held long enough for Daboll to figure it out.

It is very difficult - the last couple of weeks teams started to attack by spreading the Steelers out (empty backfield) and preventing certain blitzes.  That was what the Bills started with, but the Steelers had adjusted and were bringing pressure and the inside of the line was not holding up one on one.

Dabol actually made the adjustment in the 2nd quarter - not at halftime.  He brought the RB and 2 TEs in and chipped on Watt and allowed Ike and Morse to double team Hayward.  That then played into the “green dog” blitzing scheme of the Steelers - where if the guy you are covering blocks - you blitz.  

The Bills adjusted to that more after halftime because that gave them more one on ones with Diggs rather than the blanket coverage - he and Beasley had in the first half.  That is why I can’t wait to see a healthy Brown return because they can not double team all 3 guys.

I think Dabol went into the first half with a plan based upon what he saw from other teams having success and I am not sure how well it would have worked if the players made plays.  You had drops by WRs and TEs that would have been conversions, the Knox fumble, and guys flashing in Josh’s face.  All of those were mostly player issues - not coaching.  I give Dabol credit for then saying - let’s do what are we confident with, but also the players for stepping up.  Once they started making plays and the offense shifted in the 2nd quarter - they were the better team.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1