Jets can Williams. Wonder why.

notwoz

Gregg Williams is out as the defensive coordinator of the New York Jets.

The Jets fired Williams on Monday just one day after allowing a game-ending Hail Mary to the Las Vegas Raiders that dropped the Jets to 0-12 on the season.

Williams faced heavy criticism after the game because the Jets blitzed on the final play, leaving speedy rookie receiver Henry Ruggs III in 1-on-1 coverage with no safety help. It led many wondering if the Jets really were trying to intentionally lose the game so they do not jeopardize their chances of losing the No. 1 pick and possibly quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

Of course, it was hard to fathom that Williams would have been retained at the end of the season anyway, so there is not a whole lot of support to the theory the Jets were intentionally trying to lose on the final play of the game.

Jets fire defensive coordinator Gregg Williams (radio.com)

Just now, Mr. Wonderful said:

People hate on him because he did not succeed as a HC here but history will show he was a damn good coordinator.  Same for Wade Phillips and Chan Gailey, who is working his magic in Miami BTW. 

Right now it seems like history is going to remember him for one of the stupidest defensive plays in NFL history.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Right now it seems like history is going to remember him for one of the stupidest defensive plays in NFL history.

That call was career suicide. 

Who is going to want to sign him, what players will get behind him. This is completely different than Bountygate.  Groggy might be finished 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

People hate on him because he did not succeed as a HC here but history will show he was a damn good coordinator.  Same for Wade Phillips and Chan Gailey, who is working his magic in Miami BTW. 

Neat!

• Haha (+1) 1

I am not at all surprised that the Jets fired GW.

Now, do I strongly believe that the Jets are tanking? Yes, beyond the shadow of any doubt, and I have been saying this for weeks. Ruggs is probably the fastest man in the NFL. One on one in the final play? Yeah, ok. Sure.

They will draft Trevor and the franchise will increase in value by perhaps a half a billion or so, this during a pandemic. It will probably work too because the kid is great, and I'm saying this as an Alabama Fan. I agree with those who call him the best prospect since John Elway.

Does the situation annoy me? Of course. I am a Bills Fan. But if I owned the Jets, I too would tank no doubt.

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He successfully defended the tank so they let him go on vacation early.

You are 100% correct. Thank you. Holidays off at full pay.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1