(OT) Im Back - for now

stevestojan

Well, that sucked. (poetic, i know). Anyway, I lost power on Friday morning at 9:00am. Went to a friends apt with the dog for friday, saturday and sunday. Saturday night was obviously the worst. A bit scary even. We had plenty of beer, but food was a bit different. There is only so much PB&J you can eat. Anyway, Sunday morning, I had a strange feeling, even without power, the Chinese place up the street would be open. And it was(cooking with propane and a generator). But the line was out the door and down the plaza. So, the friend I stayed with knew that his girlfriend and her friend would do anything for chinese. We went back and told them it was open. They waited 3 and a half hours and came back with $70 worth of the best chinese food i had ever eaten (mind you I was only 2 full days without a hot meal). Anyway, the power came back on at my other friends girlfirend's house monday night, so i packed up and went there. The estimate for power at my house is earliest Saturday, and latest next thursday (great estimate, huh?). The reason being is that i do not have Florida Power and Light (think Niagara Mohawk), rather, my small city has its own utilities.

And now, we wait for Ivan. I just went to fill up my tank with gas and waited an hour. Its like deja vu all over again.

Anyway, the WORST thing to come from this storm is that the Bills Backer bar i go to is in the same city i live in (thus possilby no power till after Sunday).

Come hell or high water (literally) I will watch that god damn Bills game.

Hey Stalebird, why dont you drive to the west coast and watch it with James? Or go buy a generator for your house, you can rent them too i believe.

23286[/snapback]

Getting a generator within a 200 mile radius of where i am right now would be more miraculous than tunring water into wine. I got laughed at when i called the Home Depot in MIAMI.

Getting a generator within a 200 mile radius of where i am right now would be more miraculous than tunring water into wine. I got laughed at when i called the Home Depot in MIAMI.

23291[/snapback]

I suppose they are all sold out, but for hot food, Coleman and others make small 2-burner stoves that connect to the short, squat 16.4 oz. propane cylinders. I bought one that was branded "Wentzel", after 9-11, for about 25 bucks from a KMart or some such. Usual precautions about ventilation and fire hazard apply. I've used mine once or twice, and I placed it on the stovetop.

I recommend Dinty Moore canned Beef Stew.

Are you getting ready for Ivan?  Just remember to stand in the corner and click your heels, saying "There's no state income tax, there's no state income tax..." :lol:

23414[/snapback]

Wise ass :doh: . Though, I'm sure there are a couple hundred thousand here in Florida that are glad there's FEMA. Doughnut? :devil: