Right Wing Terrorists Arrested In Kidnaping Plot Of Governor Whitmer

5 minutes ago, Capco said:

I'll just say that there are much better ways to check the government's overreach than opposing government health and safety guidelines in the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic just because it's coming from the government's mouth.  There is something to be said for banding together when the going gets tough and loosening up when times are good.  

There’s something to be said for saying loudly “DONT TREAD ON ME.”

Im American AF. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

You’re doing two things common of somebody losing an argument.

1. You change your opponents argument hoping they’ll chase it like a dog after a car. My argument was the restriction on Americans to peacefully assemble. You morphed that into my being anti mask. Cool. 
2. Nonsensical hyperbole — “you can’t walk around balls-out, that proves I’m right!” That’s just horribly done. 

You have the right to peacefully assemble.  In emergency crises governors have executive powers to act in the general welfare of their states.  Pandemic, hurricanes, and so on.  You’re pretending the exception is the rule.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Bill you might not be Canadian liberal but you are certainly one for America. I would be interested in what Canadian parties you vote for normally  As for your comparison of Trump to Hitler, I work with a 65 year old who grew up in Communist Poland and still has plenty of family there, what they saw in Minneapolis and Seattle in regards to cops not stopping the rioting and looting reminds them of the Kristallnacht and it is the liberals who sound like Hitler 

Always vote Conservative party in Canada.

Hitler was not a liberal, but trump does have similar characteristics...inciting violence, blaming other groups, accepting no responsibility, destroying and discrediting institutions, creating internal militia, racist tendancies, direct control of existing military bypassing military command protocols.

No dictator is a liberal or conservative, they do what is necessary to survive to obtain their goals. trump was once a Democrat. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You have the right to peacefully assemble.  In emergency crises governors have executive powers to act in the general welfare of their states.  Pandemic, hurricanes, and so on.  You’re pretending the exception is the rule.

Right. Right. We’re on what, month 6 of the 14 days to flatten the curve? Gotcha. Good thing for America there are Americans like me. 

Edited by Dragoon
  • Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

There’s something to be said for saying loudly “DONT TREAD ON ME.”

Im American AF. 

Just now, Dragoon said:

Right. Right. We’re on what, month 6 of the 14 days to flatten the curve? Gotcha. Good think for America there are Americans like me. 

Welp.  I don't think I'll be getting anywhere with you.  Have a good weekend!

7 minutes ago, Capco said:

Welp.  I don't think I'll be getting anywhere with you.  Have a good weekend!

I’m uncompromising and relentless. 

Same to you! Have a great weekend. 

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Where are you not allowed to assemble?

Ok, I’m done. Thank you. Have a good weekend. I can’t go on if you’re going to be that silly. 

6 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

I’m uncompromising and relentless. 

Same to you! Have a great weekend. 

Ok, I’m done. Thank you. Have a good weekend. I can’t go on if you’re going to be that silly. 

That is your issue.  I go to church every week, the grocery store, work.  I just wear a mask, wash my hands a lot, and distance.  You’re complaining about inalienable rights being taken away when they’re not.

The phrase inalienable rights is from the Declaration of Independence by the way.  Right to peaceful assembly is the Constitution.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Always vote Conservative party in Canada.

Hitler was not a liberal, but trump does have similar characteristics...inciting violence, blaming other groups, accepting no responsibility, destroying and discrediting institutions, creating internal militia, racist tendancies, direct control of existing military bypassing military command protocols.

No dictator is a liberal or conservative, they do what is necessary to survive to obtain their goals. trump was once a Democrat. 

You don’t have the slightest clue what’s going on in my country. Why are you even on this board? I’m not trying to run Canada. I’ll leave that to Canadians. 

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The phrase inalienable rights is from the Declaration of Independence by the way.  Right to peaceful assembly is the Constitution.

Thanks dude, but I too passed 4th grade. So I knew that. 

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Then why did you mix them up?

I didn’t. You assumed I did. 

I believe ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’ are the pillars of the bill of rights, and the bill of rights were written to preserve those inalienable rights because that’s why the bill of rights was written. Ya know...historical context. 

24 minutes ago, Dub said:

In some places, Church right now !

I am not saying some places and businesses have not been affected mind you.  One of my daughters is a professional performer and that business has essentially been destroyed for now.  Same with some bars and restaurants.  But as for guaranteed rights I just haven’t see a complete effect.  We’ve all had to adapt, and if we all pulled together on mitigating actions we’d all be a whole lot farther along against this virus.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it was created in 1787 via Constitutional Convention......and has worked as intended up until 2016 when the Dems cried foul because the pantsuit lost.....immediately followed by ideas to abolish it......coincidental or poor losers?...hmm......therein lies the declining nature of abhorrent dirty politics.....lose by the rules and then squawk to change them...pathetic....

Well, don't let facts get in the way of your partisan story line.

The Electoral College has resulted in 5 elections where the winner of the popular vote wasn't elected: 1824, 1876, 1888, 2000, and 2016.  The 1824 and 1876 were decided by deals made in Congress and the 2000 election was decided by the US Supreme Court.  So much for the having "worked as intended until 2016 when the Dems cried foul".

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Well then.  It's only 2 blocks so what the hey.   Let's turn a blind eye.  :rolleyes:

Tourism dollars are huge to a city. Just ask how pissed Anaheim is with Disneyland closed.  In my mind it is the duty of the city council/supervisors to market their cities to various tourism boards.  I can only imagine how much money San Francisco has lost over the years due to companies refusing to come back for the conferences because of to the homeless and filth problem there.  So if Portland is ok with losing money due to people never wanting to visit that's their bed they've made.  And it may only be 2 blocks but perception is everything and the perception is that in Portland the inmates are running the asylum.  

2 blocks of trouble in a large city is not justification for usurping the rights that states have to address their own policing needs and certainly does not justify an overreach of sending in federal militia. Protection details around federal buildings to discourage vandalism is within their jurisdiction, unmarked DHS vans rounding up citizens and patrolling the streets, not-so-much.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/us/portland-protester-navy-veteran-beaten/index.html

Trump does not understand the mandate that leaders have towards taking the appropriate actions to deescalate conflict - rather, he irresponsibly pours gas on conflicts, leverages rifts between groups for his own gain, works to sow discord, and fosters wild conspiracy theories that resonate with idiot radical armed militias and take root in impressionable 17 year old children whose ding-bat mothers then drive to a protest armed with an assault rifle.

What could possibly go wrong when you have a President that uses DHS as his personal militia, appeals to armed fascist militias, and armed impressionable kids. Violence escalates and people end up killed. This kid panicked and fired wildly into a crowd while falling to the the ground after getting into a confrontation and shooting another man. This is why states and cities should handle their own policing not free-lancing armed idiots.

We have a President who is incapable of leading in a way that can bridge differences, find compromises, and peacefully move our country forward. It really is that simple, and we do need reform in our policing and that is not as simple as just somehow eradicating racism from the human psyche, but we can make progress with policies that reduce guns on our streets, provide more oversight and transparency in our policing, removal of "bad" cops, and true justice for those harmed by police excessive force. 

"What strikes me about the talking points is that they didn't call for calm among the public,” said Elizabeth Neumann, who served as DHS's assistant secretary for threat prevention and security policy in the Trump administration. “Even in the early hours after the incident, it was known private militias had self-deployed. …They seemed more interested in Rittenhouse's reputation than calling for calm and actual law and order.”

Neumann, who left the Trump administration in April, recently endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden for president.