Cards make Baker the highest paid safety in the NFL

Greg S

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Oliver develops and comes on like the end of 2019 he is in that category too. Ultimately what it comes down to is you have to keep drafting well and finding those bottom end free agents like Poyer and Feliciano who become critical starters for next to nothing. But the cap is flexible... Bills fans have to get used to that. Look at Kansas City this year. They have less than $1m space and everyone was freaking out..... go 3 months hence they have signed Mahomes to the biggest deal of all time and locked up Chris Jones. The cap allows any team to have 6 or 7 high end players, as long as they are drafting, developing, and finding cheap FAs. Then of course you need coaching. Good coaching.

yea but were four years away from that conversation with Oliver, so I left him off the list, but yes you are correct. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he is arguably the second best safety on his own team...... But two of the best 3 safeties in the league (would probably be two of 4 but Earl Thomas is currently not in the league for whatever went on in Baltimore) are on the Vikings. That is the elite camp - Harris, Smith, Adams, Thomas. Then I have McCourty, Byard, Mathieu and Hyde as the next group. But there are a few young guys and I put Baker, Simmons, Minkah, Eddie Jackson and Marcus Williams in that category who have been in the league 3 years or fewer and have been a bit up and down but flashed elite potential. Justin Simmons last year might have been for 2019 only the best safety in football but that was his first season close to that level so he has to back it up before you can put him in true elite company. Eddie Jackson was awesome for Chicago (also in Fangio's scheme) in 2018 but his play dropped off a bit last year. Simmons at least has the advantage that Fangio is staying put.

I see Harrison as the best as Weddle retired...

Derwin James is also shooting straight to the top.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I see Harrison as the best as Weddle retired...

Derwin James is also shooting straight to the top.

You are right - Derwin James is probably in that middle group with the McCourty and Mathieu types,. He has only actually played two years in the league but he has been very good. If he can put one more year at that level together he moves into my elite group. And Weddle hasn't been close to the best for the past 3 or 4 years. Was very good before that.

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's arguably the leader of the defense.

Hyde, Poyer and a lot of other guys on defense are probably gone after 2 more years....this team is built to win now...a number of contracts are done in 2

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

This was a smart move by a smart, highly successful franchise. After all, just look at how many games that he took control of and won for them.

I love you Bill but you really need to update your thinking.  You’re so stuck in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust football.  In a passing league, safeties are more important than ever. 

I loved BB in his draft.  Kinda crazy that he is getting this much without causing that many turnovers but he is a perfect hybrid S in today’s game. 

57 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed, and exactly the point I was trying to make. I love Milano, but he isnt equivalent to the top Safeties in the NFL.

I'm thinking (hoping) that given the scheme-fit and the coaching staff, we can get him re-signed on a team friendly deal. If not, bye.

I don’t think there is one fan who doesn’t wish we could keep Milano but some fans aren’t being realistic.  We went through the easy part of the process.  Everyone was cheap.  Now guys are going to get paid and you have to make tough decisions.  Milano is a baller but if it’s keeping an undersized OLB who has some injury issues or keeping a CB or DT, Milano isn’t going to be the one you are going to keep.  It sucks but you can’t keep everyone. 

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You are right - Derwin James is probably in that middle group with the McCourty and Mathieu types,. He has only actually played two years in the league but he has been very good. If he can put one more year at that level together he moves into my elite group. And Weddle hasn't been close to the best for the past 3 or 4 years. Was very good before that.

Weddle was around more for his leadership and ability to know plays before the snap, he was like an onfield coach.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Milton, I did a quick search the other day and Darius Slay is the highest at $16.7 mil., and Byron Jones at $16.5 mil., lastly Xavien Howard at $15.5 mil. James Bradbury is fourth at $14.5 mil.

So that’s a big leap for Tre in a year and a decreased cap year at $20.5 mil./yr.  What is more likely is $18 mil./yr for $72 mil.  If I’m in his camp, this is a rare situation where he might want to stay on the 5th year option before an extension as he is more likely to get it in two years the $72 mil.  By 2021, you would think we should have the fan issue resolved.  If they extend while on the option year over five years it stretches the $ out and brings the $18 mil. lower.  There is no way this Bills team is going to let one of the best players on defense in the league go especially when they have a defense built from the back forward like BB constructed in NE.

Yeah, I overestimated that one…

• Like (+1) 1