Newton vs Allen and Pats vs Bills

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wrong. He beat us McDermott's second game here. It felt like a game we were going to win and then Tyrod and Zay contrived not to.

Oh yeah I forgot that one...I remember us beating him on the last play which was going to be a Hail Mary attempt by Newton and Schwartz brought pressure and sacked him to end the game

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Oh yeah I forgot that one...I remember us beating him on the last play which was going to be a Hail Mary attempt by Newton and Schwartz brought pressure and sacked him to end the game

We didn't play him the Schwartz year. Not in the regular season anyway. Think we played them in pre-season. 

We have played Cam twice. In Buffalo in 2013 - the EJ game.

In Carolina in 2017. McDermott's first year, lost but had the play to win and messed it up.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right. we should probably just go off of that and not a huge sample size of work. good call. 

So while I do have some scepticism about his fit in that offense based on historical trends the last season that @C.Biscuit97 references isn't completely without relevance here because it was when they brought Norv in and tried to establish more of a short, quick hitting passing game rather than the hold the ball and downfield passing offense that Mike Shula had favoured. It is the closest he has ever been to a system such as the one New England will ask him to run in terms of the types of throw he was asked to make. The difference is New England's offense really does require precision because he still had some guys who could throw down the field too with speed. DJ Moore, Jarius Wright, Torrey Smith etc... New England doesn't have those speedy downfield gamebreakers so defenses will sit on everything and the windows for those crossers and hitches etc are going to be tiny. The slightest bit off target it isn't just an incompletion it is a potential interception.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So while I do have some scepticism about his fit in that offense based on historical trends the last season that @C.Biscuit97 references isn't completely without relevance here because it was when they brought Norv in and tried to establish more of a short, quick hitting passing game rather than the hold the ball and downfield passing offense that Mike Shula had favoured. It is the closest he has ever been to a system such as the one New England will ask him to run in terms of the types of throw he was asked to make. The difference is New England's offense really does require precision because he still had some guys who could throw down the field too with speed. DJ Moore, Jarius Wright, Torrey Smith etc... New England doesn't have those speedy downfield gamebreakers so defenses will sit on everything and the windows for those crossers and hitches etc are going to be tiny. The slightest bit off target it isn't just an incompletion it is a potential interception.

This is a nice solid point. I, just like you, am still a skeptic. But what your saying here holds some merit. On the other hand "He threw for 67% that one year" without any context doesnt do it for me. Thats sort of what i was getting at.