Ronnie Jones forced to quit

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050420/4032142.asp

West Texas A&M football coach Ronnie Jones resigned Tuesday after a university investigation found he was operating a marketing business from his school office.

Athletics Director Ed Harris said in a statement that Jones used state and school resources for personal gain, "taking advantage of West Texas A&M property, facilities, funds, information technology resources, equipment, supplies, services and employee time."

No one answered Tuesday evening at an Amarillo telephone number for Jones, a former Buffalo Bills special teams coach who was suspended with pay last week.

Harris said Jones, who compiled a 5-27 record in three seasons with the Division II school, abused his authority, exerting undue influence on student-athletes and employees by soliciting memberships in his marketing venture.

Jones was a Bills assistant in 2000 under head coach Wade Phillips.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050420/4032142.asp

West Texas A&M football coach Ronnie Jones resigned Tuesday after a university investigation found he was operating a marketing business from his school office.

Athletics Director Ed Harris said in a statement that Jones used state and school resources for personal gain, "taking advantage of West Texas A&M property, facilities, funds, information technology resources, equipment, supplies, services and employee time."

No one answered Tuesday evening at an Amarillo telephone number for Jones, a former Buffalo Bills special teams coach who was suspended with pay last week.

Harris said Jones, who compiled a 5-27 record in three seasons with the Division II school, abused his authority, exerting undue influence on student-athletes and employees by soliciting memberships in his marketing venture.

Jones was a Bills assistant in 2000 under head coach Wade Phillips.

310153[/snapback]

Hard to imagine this guy was ever part of an NFL franchise! What were we thinking? What was Wade thinking???

PTR

I don't know what the demands are like coaching college, particularly Div II, but in the NFL, I get the impression that 80-100 hour work weeks are about norm.

When would he have time for any other endeavor?

Then again being 5-27, maybe he was only putting in 40, which left him plenty of time for 'more important' :devil: things.

Oh boy, at 5-27, they must really hate to lose Ronnie. What will West Texas A&M do now???

Ronnie was probably a spammer, too, marketing his whatever by bulk email.

I wonder if Gregg-o bought any of what Ronnie was selling...

310163[/snapback]

Having had to live in the butt hole of the universe...a.k.a. Texas, for 4 years, I believe that the 5-27 record was what did him in, and the marketing thing was just the phony reason they went with!

If he was 27-5 he could have sold crack outside of W's back door and everything would have been A-OK! :devil:

Kind of makes you wonder a bit why Wade was so adamant in his refusal to fire Ronnie, doesn't it?

310200[/snapback]

There is no confusion at all. Ronnie was an old buddy and in the good old boys network that is what matters.

It is amusing to see all the doctrinair rants against affirmative action efforts as applied to minority coaches as though merit were the only thing that has an impact on NFL hiring decisions.

The facts seem to be that routinely NFL teams refused to hire coaches who could do better than other coaches simply because of their race. This seems to be a fact due to the historic wide disparity between the percentage of African-American coaches hired (particularly HCs) and the pool of available talent.

Fortunately, these numbers slowly seem to be changing, but unfortunately it has taken an affirmative action by the NFL to make sure that the pipeline of qualified candidates is kept filled and that the bad tendencies of non-merit hiring which seem inherent in the good ol boy network are beaten back and coaches most capable of winning are hired.

The Ronnie Jones record seems to be one more example of the failings of the good ol boy network.

There is no confusion at all. Ronnie was an old buddy and in the good old boys network that is what matters.

It is amusing to see all the doctrinair rants against affirmative action efforts as applied to minority coaches as though merit were the only thing that has an impact on NFL hiring decisions.

The facts seem to be that routinely NFL teams refused to hire coaches who could do better than other coaches simply because of their race.  This seems to be a fact due to the historic wide disparity between the percentage of African-American coaches hired (particularly HCs) and the pool of available talent.

Fortunately, these numbers slowly seem to be changing, but unfortunately it has taken an affirmative action by the NFL to make sure that the pipeline of qualified candidates is kept filled and that the bad tendencies of non-merit hiring which seem inherent in the good ol boy network are beaten back and coaches most capable of winning are hired.

The Ronnie Jones record seems to be one more example of the failings of the good ol boy network.

310240[/snapback]

I was only suggesting, almost entirely tongue-in-cheek (as most of you should know is my wont), that Wade might have been one of Ronnie's customers. :devil:

Having had to live in the butt hole of the universe...a.k.a. Texas, for 4 years, I believe that the 5-27 record was what did him in, and the marketing thing was just the phony reason they went with!

If he was 27-5 he could have sold crack outside of W's back door and everything would have been A-OK! :devil:

310229[/snapback]

DING DING DING

We have a winner.

310240[/snapback]

I can see attacking Wade for hiring Ronnie Jones, but refusing to fire him was admirable. Where I'm from, a leader takes the blame whenever possible.

Affirmative action can be attacked regardless of whether or not merit is the only thing involve in NFL hiring decisions. White coaches without connections are hurt in that case as well.

I can see attacking Wade for hiring Ronnie Jones, but refusing to fire him was admirable. Where I'm from, a leader takes the blame whenever possible.

310310[/snapback]

That same leader made Bruce DeHaven take the blame for Home Run Throw Forward so he could hire Ronnie in the first place. Sorry, I'm not going to get all choked up about Wade's stand on principle in this case, especially when he was so quick to sell DeHaven down the river the year before.

That same leader made Bruce DeHaven take the blame for Home Run Throw Forward so he could hire Ronnie in the first place.  Sorry, I'm not going to get all choked up about Wade's stand on principle in this case, especially when he was so quick to sell DeHaven down the river the year before.

310384[/snapback]

I've always thought that Ralph forced the DeHaven firing....

I've always thought that Ralph forced the DeHaven firing....

310391[/snapback]

So why didn't Wade stand on principle with DeHaven the way he did with Ronnie? Because Ronnie was his buddy.

So why didn't Wade stand on principle with DeHaven the way he did with Ronnie?  Because Ronnie was his buddy.

310395[/snapback]

Hmm.. good point, but are we supposed to through our buddies under the bus now? I am sure many folks here would have done similar things when they oversaw friends.

I always thought that Ralph was just looking for an excuse to fire Wade that year, but maybe I am wrong.