Thomas Sowell - Quote of the Day

dubs

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Economist Thomas Sowell on Monday compared the tariffs implemented during the Great Depression to President Donald Trump’s aluminum and steel duties.

“The Smoot Hawley tariffs of 1930 had a lot more to do with the Great Depression than the stock market,” Sowell told FOX Business’ Neil Cavuto on “Cavuto: Coast to Coast.” “Unemployment was nowhere near as low the first year after the stock market as it was in the first five months after those tariffs went in. During the Great Depression in the 1930s, we had trade surpluses, but it didn’t do us a bit of good.”

Earlier this month, the president announced that the United States will impose a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum. There is also speculation that the president is considering imposing broad tariffs on imports from China.

“Conceivably, a catastrophic mistake depends on how far he wants to push it,” Sowell said.

Globalism is dead. It's time you got used to the idea because that is how it is.

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Economist Thomas Sowell on Monday compared the tariffs implemented during the Great Depression to President Donald Trump’s aluminum and steel duties.

“The Smoot Hawley tariffs of 1930 had a lot more to do with the Great Depression than the stock market,” Sowell told FOX Business’ Neil Cavuto on “Cavuto: Coast to Coast.” “Unemployment was nowhere near as low the first year after the stock market as it was in the first five months after those tariffs went in. During the Great Depression in the 1930s, we had trade surpluses, but it didn’t do us a bit of good.”

Earlier this month, the president announced that the United States will impose a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum. There is also speculation that the president is considering imposing broad tariffs on imports from China.

“Conceivably, a catastrophic mistake depends on how far he wants to push it,” Sowell said.

So, Sowell isn't a hack? Do you only respect black people when they say or do things you approve of?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, Sowell isn't a hack? Do you only respect black people when they say or do things you approve of?

That sounds like you, you only respect people if they spew right wing propaganda. 

Nice to see Sowell thinks Trump's economics has a bad historical record. Sowell isn't a stupid isolationist either, something else going for him 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

That sounds like you, you only respect people if they spew right wing propaganda. 

Nice to see Sowell thinks Trump's economics has a bad historical record. Sowell isn't a stupid isolationist either, something else going for him 

I take this as a"yes"

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sowell doesn't agree with this garbage  

same 

Sowell doesn't have a vote on the issue. Free trade and globalism are over. You haven't been paying attention to current trends have you.

Edited by Reality Check

3 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Sowell doesn't have a vote on the issue. Free trade and globalism are over. You haven't been paying attention to current trends have you.

I think free trade and globalism are dead as they were conceived in NAFTA and other deals in 90's and prior decades. Obviously China is not a good partner, which we should have recognized under W Bush. The new version must be American rights centered because the other counties will steal from us without thought if we do not give them consequences.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

@billsfan1959Is he right? 

Try thinking for yourself. The EU is going to disintegrate soon also. I am sure you have a problem with that concept too.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think free trade and globalism are dead as they were conceived in NAFTA and other deals in 90's and prior decades. Obviously China is not a good partner, which we should have recognized under W Bush. The new version must be American rights centered because the other counties will steal from us without thought if we do not give them consequences.

I agree. There is free trade because of the Breton Woods agreement. We sold the world on geography no longer being a limit to trade and supply chains because we guaranteed the safety and security of shipping vessels. That was security policy for us, not an economic policy. Once we start pulling back our safety nets at the cost of American blood, many of these nations will suffer big time.

Edited by Reality Check

On 6/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, dubs said:

6/21/20

I need to check this guy out it looks as though he gets it and isn't just following the show to whatever end it wants ! Most things mentioned in the media fit the narrative .

No matter what happens you can't change history but it would be great if we all learned from it . I heard that now some of these groups want the name of Columbus Ohio changed to Flavor Town ? Really ?

What will be enough to appease change will we have to completely erase any bad thing that happened in history to live in a utopian society ? I'm all for change but at what cost ? 

Winston Churchill said "A Nation that does not remember it's past has no future" some in this country don't remember or believe that the Holocaust was real but what person would make up a story like that ?

You can learn a lot if you keep your eyes & ears open and to a point your mouth shut then do you due diligence and study history in more than 1 place to come up with the truth because there are some that twist that truth to their benefit ! 

Young people today are being told what only a few would have them believe I pray they as individuals would think and learn as such instead of being led as sheep . 

20 minutes ago, T master said:

I need to check this guy out it looks as though he gets it and isn't just following the show to whatever end it wants ! Most things mentioned in the media fit the narrative .

No matter what happens you can't change history but it would be great if we all learned from it . I heard that now some of these groups want the name of Columbus Ohio changed to Flavor Town ? Really ?

What will be enough to appease change will we have to completely erase any bad thing that happened in history to live in a utopian society ? I'm all for change but at what cost ? 

Winston Churchill said "A Nation that does not remember it's past has no future" some in this country don't remember or believe that the Holocaust was real but what person would make up a story like that ?

You can learn a lot if you keep your eyes & ears open and to a point your mouth shut then do you due diligence and study history in more than 1 place to come up with the truth because there are some that twist that truth to their benefit ! 

Young people today are being told what only a few would have them believe I pray they as individuals would think and learn as such instead of being led as sheep . 

I found Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams about 20 years ago and they are both brilliant. I disagree sometimes but they alway make me think, which few do anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

The point TS makes on tariffs is fair. It’s worth a discussion, but that’s not Tib’s point. His point was to try and back people into a corner with a false binary of Sowell or Trump. 

Once again it failed miserably because it’s an absurd choice. Unlike the NPCs on the left, most people realize that you can agree with or support some things and at the same time disagree with other things. 

What he did show is how absurd the Trump obsession he and other NPCs have actually is. Trump is not and never will be the voice for all that are not on the left. Rather, free thinking citizens agree with him on some things, disagree on others, but mostly realize the focus on him is a tool to divide and conquer. 

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That’s all he is saying, Democrats are bad. The leaders of that party just want to help themselves and not any of the people. So vote Republican. 

Yes, thank you, name 1, just 1 democrat who spoke out against rioting, tearing down statues, I'll wait.

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That’s all he is saying, Democrats are bad. The leaders of that party just want to help themselves and not any of the people. So vote Republican. 

I think he's more on the side of don't be blindly beholden to a party just because of your skin tone. I doubt he cares who anyone votes for.

• Like (+1) 1