Backyard Birding

SoTier

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

This year we have been putting suet out during year. It started in winter and I got some new birds so I continued feeding in spring.  The small woodpeckers have returned and we now have some "black" birds with a shiny blue tinge and yellow beaks I have not seen before.  They can feed from suet cage when suet is full but have issue feeding when cake is reduced in size.

As to the new "black" birds, I do not know where in the US you are located and how familiar you are with bird species in your region, so please do not be offended if I suggest a European Starling. Usually, they look more black than in this pic.

image.png.5eb270d2f2f2c525bbbc446962926c3c.png

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DrW said:

As to the new "black" birds, I do not know where in the US you are located and how familiar you are with bird species in your region, so please do not be offended if I suggest a European Starling. Usually, they look more black than in this pic.

My number 1 nemesis... the Starlings come in a group and empty every feeder out in 30 minutes or less. 

8 hours ago, DrW said:

I am in Alexandria, VA.

The most number of these birds I have seen is 4 and it looks more like a Common Grackle except yellow beak.

We have also seen crows when my wife throws out bread in the morning.

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am in Alexandria, VA.

The most number of these birds I have seen is 4 and it looks more like a Common Grackle except yellow beak.

We have also seen crows when my wife throws out bread in the morning.

Now I am really going out on a limb here. Did it look like a black American robin with a yellow beak?

image.png.a1b7f60e1b0e6392a8e84f92c1423274.png

This is a common (or Eurasian) blackbird, a thrush like the American robin. Occasionally, stragglers have been found in the NE US, but they were usually single individuals, not four at a time.

Edited by DrW

1 minute ago, DrW said:

Now I am really going out on a limb here. Did it look like a black American robin with a yellow beak?

image.png.a1b7f60e1b0e6392a8e84f92c1423274.png

This is a Eurasian blackbird, a thrush like the American robin. Occasionally, stragglers have been found in the NE US, but they were usually single individuals, not four at a time.

That is closest picture to what I saw but more of a blue tint with no spotting. 

There have been up to 4 at a time.

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That is closest picture to what I saw but more of a blue tint with no spotting. 

There have been up to 4 at a time.

There can be difference between individuals. These here look more "blueish" and virtually spotless. Furthermore, the blue in bird feathers is not a pigment. It is an effect caused by light scattering. Thus, especially if the bird is not bright blue, the blue tint often depends on lighting and viewing angle.

image.png.e4c01965be0b3459efb7743011ecc296.png

image.png.91d327585d1f7d63dda6ac0cd3061ad0.png

Edited by DrW

• 4 weeks later...

Since most of Western New York and Pennsylvania are officially in moderate drought, do the birds in your area a favor and put out a bird bath ... and clean bath and change the water frequently.  I have three in my backyard (plus a waterfall with an area where the birds can drink and bathe).   My yard is full of birds all day long, with many ignoring the feeders in favor of drinking and bathing.

• Like (+1) 1

word of caution about bird feeders.  They are the leading cause of bear nuisance reports.  Our 1 inch hollow steel pole mount was bent in half to get the birdseed.  The neighbors dogs had run off a large bear earlier the same night.  Not going to replace it and it's too bad because it attracted many beautiful birds.  We still hear them but see them less often.   The bear still comes looking for more, tipping over the garbage if we don't put it in the garage which we now do religiously.

I am in Northeastern NY (Glens Falls, Saratoga, Lake George region). 

Hardly any hummingbirds this year so far. 

I thought it might be the poor air quality due to the fires in Canada, but that’s cleared up now and still nothing. 

Anyone else? 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I thought it might be the poor air quality due to the fires in Canada, but that’s cleared up now and still nothing. 

Anyone else? 

Not see any hummingbirds this year and my wife's butterfly garden which usually attracts them has had none that I have seen.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:44 PM, Gugny said:

Anyone else? 

we seem to have a normal number.  The whippoorwill is missing this year calling for a  mate.   hope he found one.

Edited by redtail hawk

My wife runs a "Golden Corral for birds" in our backyard. Suet, seed, mealwoms, thistle, sugar water for hummingbirds, oranges for Orioles. We get a wide variety of birds. And they are so used to us we can be on the deck, just a foot or two away, and they don't care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My wife runs a "Golden Corral for birds" in our backyard. Suet, seed, mealwoms, thistle, sugar water for hummingbirds, oranges for Orioles. We get a wide variety of birds. And they are so used to us we can be on the deck, just a foot or two away, and they don't care.

My parents do the same in their backyard. A bunch of bird houses, a couple bird baths. Bunch of feeders and flowers. 

They even have a resident chipmunk who visits them on the porch. My dad keeps almonds out there and “Chippy” hops up on his lap and climbs up to his chest to get his almond haul. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I left peanuts on the deck a few nites ago.  Got awoken by a raccoon.  Scared the crap out of me cuz it was big. Be careful.

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I left peanuts on the deck a few nites ago.  Got awoken by a raccoon.  Scared the crap out of me cuz it was big. Be careful.

Everything comes in at night

We just had a solo Black Bear drop by a few nights ago.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How do you keep unwanted feeders out?  I have issues with squirrels during day and rats at night.  I covered up bird feeder one night and a rat chewed its way in and just continued eating until morning. Fortunately my dog and I noticed movement and I beat it with a stick and it tried to flee so dog kept inside and then it got its leg caught and together we killed it.  Right now we only use suet feeders on a chain but still have issues with squirrel occasionally and the ground feeders who used to eat the leftovers like mourning doves cannot eat now.  The rats we are poisoning in front yard; poison bait is still being eaten at a lower rate so they must have a big nest somewhere.

5 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I left peanuts in a cage to catch night feeder.  Found a frightened cardinal in it.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

My parents do the same in their backyard. A bunch of bird houses, a couple bird baths. Bunch of feeders and flowers. 

They even have a resident chipmunk who visits them on the porch. My dad keeps almonds out there and “Chippy” hops up on his lap and climbs up to his chest to get his almond haul. 

Chipmunks can be annoying.  One went into our bird feeder and pushed a pile of seed out so it could crawl inside and use it as a feed hole.  The pile of seeds were bigger than the chipmunk.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

How do you keep unwanted feeders out?  I have issues with squirrels during day and rats at night.  I covered up bird feeder one night and a rat chewed its way in and just continued eating until morning. Fortunately my dog and I noticed movement and I beat it with a stick and it tried to flee so dog kept inside and then it got its leg caught and together we killed it.  Right now we only use suet feeders on a chain but still have issues with squirrel occasionally and the ground feeders who used to eat the leftovers like mourning doves cannot eat now.  The rats we are poisoning in front yard; poison bait is still being eaten at a lower rate so they must have a big nest somewhere.

I left peanuts in a cage to catch night feeder.  Found a frightened cardinal in it.

Chipmunks can be annoying.  One went into our bird feeder and pushed a pile of seed out so it could crawl inside and use it as a feed hole.  The pile of seeds were bigger than the chipmunk.

My parents put Vaseline on all of the shepherd hooks to keep chipmunks and squirrels from climbing them. 

The chipmunks will hang around below the feeders and catch what the birds drop, but other than that, they’re harmless.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.