Don't get sucked in by this Philly and Tampa talk

With all these swirling rumors going around, most of the Buffalo faithful (myself included) are getting caught up into it with too much glee.

I stated before in an earlier post and I'll stick to it, I don't think Philly is a good match for Henry and that they are in hot pursuit. Oh, I know the newspapers printed it but keep in mind that the Eagles' front office HATES Modrak & Associates. Remember, what a year or two ago, when some of their scouts just exchanged pleasant salutations with the Bills' Modrak? Remember what happened next? They got booted almost immediately! Keep in mind, the Bills called Philly FIRST. They weren't chasing us, we were chasing THEM. Not a good way to negoiate. The Eagles reciprocated, and why wouldn't they? It's a great way to throw a spur under Brian Westbrook's saddle. Not all was lost for the Bills though. We got to see Rerun (Dennis Green) squirm. Tampa did jump into the mix too (I'll get back to them in a minute). All I got to say is proceed with caution friends.

Now, as far as Tampa goes just let me ask you a question. Who would you rather have, Travis Henry or Edjerrin James? Just what I thought. I posted earlier that the Florida teams LOVE the Florida players. Well, I got caught up in the moment also and my eyes got filled with greed too. the stupid a$$ that I am, I should know better, I live down here! Tampa is smart for the simple reason that they're backing up a plan with another. The ideal picture for them is to take one of the WRs in the 1st rd and then trade for a veteran RB. I would think with the way their salary cap is that Travis would be the more lucrative RB for them. Remember, the talk with them was player for player. No draft picks were mentioned right? Now we got the TH sweepstakes going on and we think that we're going to get Tampa into a bidding war? I hardly think so, not with Edge available. A deal for him is, what a 2nd rder + something else? Who knows how this can be manipulated. They have two 3 rders though and a CB (Ronde Barber) to trade. This makes more sense for both teams. Edge is worth more than Henry and he's from Florida too. As far as Tampa goes, do you know how unpopular it would be to get rid of Barber? Trust me, extremely. What takes the sting out is Edge. He's pratically a home town boy! And you want to talk about flexibility? The Colts not only shed a huge contract, but they get a CB that fills a desparate need. Oh, you think Tony Dungy would be upset getting one of his old defensive stars back? This deal makes more sense if draft pick(s) are to be involved.

Well, I don't mean to disappoint anybody, but I think when it's all over and done with if we can still trade with Arizona for LJ Shelton and the swapping of 2nd rd picks we better take it and run!

With all these swirling rumors going around, most of the Buffalo faithful (myself included) are getting caught up into it with too much glee.

I stated before in an earlier post and I'll stick to it, I don't think Philly is a good match for Henry and that they are in hot pursuit. Oh, I know the newspapers printed it but keep in mind that the Eagles' front office HATES Modrak & Associates. Remember, what a year or two ago, when some of their scouts just exchanged pleasant salutations with the Bills' Modrak? Remember what happened next? They got booted almost immediately! Keep in mind, the Bills called Philly FIRST. They weren't chasing us, we were chasing THEM. Not a good way to negoiate. The Eagles reciprocated, and why wouldn't they? It's a great way to throw a spur under Brian Westbrook's saddle. Not all was lost for the Bills though. We got to see Rerun (Dennis Green) squirm. Tampa did jump into the mix too (I'll get back to them in a minute). All I got to say is proceed with caution friends.

Now, as far as Tampa goes just let me ask you a question. Who would you rather have, Travis Henry or Edjerrin James? Just what I thought. I posted earlier that the Florida teams LOVE the Florida players. Well, I got caught up in the moment also and my eyes got filled with greed too. the stupid a$$ that I am, I should know better, I live down here! Tampa is smart for the simple reason that they're backing up a plan with another. The ideal picture for them is to take one of the WRs in the 1st rd and then trade for a veteran RB. I would think with the way their salary cap is that Travis would be the more lucrative RB for them. Remember, the talk with them was player for player. No draft picks were mentioned right? Now we got the TH sweepstakes going on and we think that we're going to get Tampa into a bidding war? I hardly think so, not with Edge available. A deal for him is, what a 2nd rder + something else? Who knows how this can be manipulated. They have two 3 rders though and a CB (Ronde Barber) to trade. This makes more sense for both teams. Edge is worth more than Henry and he's from Florida too. As far as Tampa goes, do you know how unpopular it would be to get rid of Barber? Trust me, extremely. What takes the sting out is Edge. He's pratically a home town boy! And you want to talk about flexibility? The Colts not only shed a huge contract, but they get a CB that fills a desparate need. Oh, you think Tony Dungy would be upset getting one of his old defensive stars back? This deal makes more sense if draft pick(s) are to be involved.

Well, I don't mean to disappoint anybody, but I think when it's all over and done with if we can still trade with Arizona for LJ Shelton and the swapping of 2nd rd picks we better take it and run!

308362[/snapback]

You live in Tampa? Quick question: Im in Panama City FL. thinking of making the trip to see the Bills destroy the Bucs.. Is it a safe place to take my kids? Or should we just reconsider. I know their fans can get crazy, but abusive?? Thanks in advance!

I live in Fort Myers and it's about 2-2 and a half hours south of Tampa. I've been to only 2 or 3 Tampa games. I must admit, I felt much more comfortable at a game there than in Buffalo. I've been to every Buffalo play-off game except the "Greatest Comeback Game" and several regular games in and around that time. I love the Bills and I am very proud of the people and the area. But unfortunately I wouldn't recommend a Buffalo game as a family function. The fans get too drunk and they get carried away. I'm sorry but that's the truth.

As far as Henry, yes he's a Florida boy and he could fit in but Edge is a whole different creature. I think Henry is from Frostproof, Florida and I'm not sure where that is in the state of Florida but Edge is from Immokalee, Florida (about 45 minutes from me). SW Florida is really starting to be a hotbed for athletic talent, mostly football, some baseball. In a 2-3 hour spread or 250 miles, you have talent like CB Dion Sanders, DE Jevon Kearse, RB Edge, CB Anthony Henry, FB Fred McCrary, PK Martin Gramatca and his brother Bill. I'm sure that I've missed several others. I hope that I helped with this information. Good luck at your game and remember, try to get decent seats, this might help to reduce the riffraff.

As far as Edge costing three times as much, don't count on it. He wants out big time and wants to play in Florida badly. He may be more reasonable than one would think.

PS Edge is supposed to be a real nice guy. A lot of people that I know either knows him or have met him (one buddy met him and spent the day jet skiing with him-on Edge's jet ski!) and they all say the same thing. He's cool and humble.

308362[/snapback]

Travis played high school ball in Florida, and after that he moved onto Tennessee. If you’re going to make an argument for Edge because of the Miami roots you have to let Travis in on the party. He is just as much a warm weather back as Edge is and as a previous poster mentioned would come at half the price.

I do however agree with your stance on the iggles, IMO this is a two team race between the Bucs and Arizona Shelton’s.

Look, I think a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush. It would be great to make all these possible trades but let's keep it in perspective. How many wheeling and dealings really land up going on, especially in the draft? Take a look at last year with San Diego and the Giants. This deal was going on forever and a day. As bad as the Giants wanted Manning the Chargers had more desire to trade him. When the smoke cleared, the Giants almost didn't land up with him. Matter of fact, the Chargers had to pick Manning FIRST and THEN TRADE him.

With no 1st rd pick in this year's draft I think we should just take the safer bet. Be satisfied with a mid 2nd rd pick for our disgruntled RB. If their is a targeted player that needs to be selected earlier in the 2nd rd or even late in the 1st rd, then maybe we could package a lower tier player on our roster.

Looking at a feasible partner to make a trade with, I see the Colts as a team with needs. Their needs happen to reflect our strength-defense. Here is what I would like to see.

a) Trade with Arizona for LJ Shelton and the swapping of the 2nd rders.

b) Take the #44 pick that we just obtained from the Cardinals and package that with DE Ryan Denney to the Colts for their 1st rd pick (#29).

c) With the #29 pick select Northwestern's DT Luis Castillo OR Wisconsin's Anttaj Hawthorne. If DT is not a priority for the Bills or Mularkey is enarmored with the slash player mentality, then select Arkansaw's WR/TE/QB/HB/Mr.Everything Matt Jones.

d) With our original 2nd rder (#55) we then select North Carolina's C Jason Brown.

c) In the 3rd rd (#86) we then select Oregon State's DE Bill Swancutt.

Is this scenario unrealistic? Would this be a satisfying draft selection with our first three picks? If not, what three selections would suit our needs better?

If you're going to make the move of Edge to Tampa for Barber, couldn't you make the same argument for Edge to the Fish for Surtain?

Just a thought.

Either way, I appreciate the thinking. It may be crazy for all anyone else knows, but it's creative and its football and that's damn good enough for me.

Tipster...I like your thinking --but you traded away the #55 and then drafted Jason Brown with it.....reminds me of my post last week when I guaranteed Travis would be traded by MARCH 25th :w00t:

Denny Green might go for it if you throw in a box of twinkies...

OMG! You're absolutely right JoeF. How embarrassing. I was at my daughter's when I posted that last response and realized my error. I'm talking to my buddy on the way home and told him what a fool I'm going to be and that I'm gonna get lambasted on the board and rightfully so! I appreciate your kindness JoeF, but now I destroyed the credibility of this post. What an idiot I am!

Well, not all will be lost. One way to look at it is LJ would be our 2nd rd pick and I don't think Brown would last to our 3rd rd pick. I do want to see Buffalo select Swancutt but not at the expense of Brown. So here is what I'll propose. a) Trade Henry for Arizona's 2nd rd pick only, no Shelton or swapping involved. Then the above trade scenario then can work. OR b) Forget moving up and trading with the Colts. Keep the 2nd rd pick at #44 and take Jason Brown. With the 3rd rd pick stay on course and select Swancutt.

With this scenario we dumped Travis and got something for him, a C and a LT. With Swancutt he gives us great depth and possibly another sackmaster. One thing he will provide and that's tenacity. If this were to unfolod in the draft I would think that this would still be a very successful draft for us.

Sorry TSW for being so stupid!

I'm not a complete moron. With their rotation, the Colts feel that Brock would be more effective as a DT. He's their best player and that's why he's their DE. They just don't have anybody or healthy enough at this time to insert at DE.

As far as Edge going to Miami for Surtain, you have to keep in mind that Saban will dismantle this team at year's end. It is in their best interest to accumalate as many draft picks as they can so he can rebuild this team in the way that he wants. They are not looking to give up draft picks but instead looking to add draft picks. If they can't trade out of the #2 pick in the draft then expect them to select RB Ronnie Brown.

Miami is quite a ways away from threatening for a Super Bowl, but the Colts aren't. They could use a seasoned veteran and keep him for only a couple of years. Their mentality differs greatly from Miami's. Throw in the fact that Dungy would be for getting Barber. He knows his capabilities. Barber knows his defense. Barber, like Lynch and Sapp, is a fan favorite. From a publicity point, recieving Edge in a trade for Barber, would help soften the blow.

One last point. It would really help increase our opportunity and Henry's if RB Shaun Alexander is removed from any kind of equation. I would love, and still think, that Philly would be a good match for him. Once again, who would you rather have, Alexander or Henry? I know, I know, He's three times the money. But Philly can afford it if they choose so. Alexander can run AND catch. He might not be big on blocking, but he's a premier RB. Philly should be in a win now mentality also. One good thing is, even if Philly doesn't take Alexander I know who can't or won't. Arizona. Oh, I'm sure that they would love to have him but Seattle is not about to commit suicide. They won't trade with the Cardinals, that's for sure.

b) Take the #44 pick that we just obtained from the Cardinals and package that with DE Ryan Denney to the Colts for their 1st rd pick (#29).

c) With the #29 pick select Northwestern's DT Luis Castillo OR Wisconsin's Anttaj Hawthorne. If DT is not a priority for the Bills or Mularkey is enarmored with the slash player mentality, then select Arkansaw's WR/TE/QB/HB/Mr.Everything Matt Jones.

308518[/snapback]

Why would the Colts do that. Wouldn't they just select Luis Castillo with their pick. Ryan Denney has not proved anything in the NFL yet for his 2nd round status. Why would you expect the Colts to take a shot at him, when he cannot even

start in his current team.

Isn't Tampa cap-strapped? James is probably way too expensive for the Bucs. Gruden might be looking for a cheaper, Tyrone Wheatley type runner to compliment Garner. Henry would fit that role.

And Philly could be looking the same thing. With Westbrook a restricted free agent, they could sign him and Henry for less than what Alexander commands. Plus they like Westbrook, they just need a between the tackles guy to compliment him.

I wouldn't be suprised if both Philly and Tampa do have an interest in Henry. They both have west coast offenses that could use a reliable between the tackles threat. Neither is looking to spend a lot of money to revamp their running games, which makes Henry a good fit. I think the interest in Henry is real.