Which 6-8 players/positions will the Bills pay big money to?

Logic

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

LBs that play 100% of the snaps on a top 5 defense are very important. I'm not really sure why you feel these players are easily replaced.

Because it is the WLB Spot.  That is the easiest position on the defense to play.  All you need to have is athletic ability and you are AVG at that position.  The MIKE and the SLB are more important.  Mike is the ONLY one you would like to ensure he is a 3 down sideline to sideline Backer.  The other two LBers spots can be specialized.  IT is called POSITIONAL Value.  Sam reason RBs should NEVER get big money either.

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

But money is finite.  Edmunds is up for a renegotiate next year.  Same with Allen.  I think the long play is extend Edmunds and Allen early.  Get them at 80 to 90 cents to the dollar vs 1.20 by waiting to the end.  If Milano can add some size, and can slide to the mike in some syb packaging I would be more inclined paying him.  I think Edmunds next step is being a pass rusher and moved around the formation week in and week out.

It takes two to tango on early extensions. 

I also disagree that they’ll try to re-sign Edmunds after 3 seasons, when they have him on a cost-controlled rookie deal for 1-2 seasons beyond that. 

What they do with Tre White will tell us a lot about how they view optimal extension windows.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Because it is the WLB Spot.  That is the easiest position on the defense to play.  All you need to have is athletic ability and you are AVG at that position.  The MIKE and the SLB are more important.  Mike is the ONLY one you would like to ensure he is a 3 down sideline to sideline Backer.  The other two LBers spots can be specialized.  IT is called POSITIONAL Value.  Sam reason RBs should NEVER get big money either.

I don't know. McDermott seems to value that position. It's scheme specific. Milano is a scheme fit.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

It takes two to tango on early extensions. 

I also disagree that they’ll try to re-sign Edmunds after 3 seasons, when they have him on a cost-controlled rookie deal for 1-2 seasons beyond that. 

What they do with Tre White will tell us a lot about how they view optimal extension windows.

I will always be on record that you pick up the 5th year option as a Buffer with the hopes the player doesn't play on it.  Meaning the window for the extension is year 4, either in camp or in the post season, I would not negotiate in season..  But that is me as a GM and how I would run it.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't know. McDermott seems to value that position. It's scheme specific. Milano is a scheme fit.

And Milano was a 5th round pick that really was a tweener.  Just like Safeties there are certain positions that are easy fills in McD Defense.  There is Value there, me and you just disagree on what the cap of that value actually is

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And Milano was a 5th round pick that really was a tweener.  Just like Safeties there are certain positions that are easy fills in McD Defense.  There is Value there, me and you just disagree on what the cap of that value actually is

I'm just not following your logic is all. It doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's also been shown the defense is worse without Milano on the field.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This is a bit hard as a couple are already paid in reality but will list him anyway, the 6-8 I would pay are:

1. Josh Allen (Eventually, 2022).

2.  Stefon Diggs (already above 10M)

3. Mitch Morse (Already abov 10M)

4. Dion Dawkins (This year)

5. Ed Oliver (2023)

6. Tremaine Edmunds (2022)

7. Matt Milano (this year) (though I think he doesn't make 10M a year when it is done)

8. Tre White - (Next year)

There is you immediate Core IMO  The Issue it which one falls off to pay your DE.  I think that would be a combination of Hughes and Murphys pay (to pay the new Core DE) and the other DE would be the middle class NFL player

I like your group except I’m not sold that Oliver will be that dominate to get top end pay. I think he will be good but maybe not deserving of top money. 

Beane commented on paying players top money and how it can divide a locker room when a player that isn’t that good or not respected has a bloated contract! It would be interesting to see some of his criteria for top money! Character is certainly one along with leadership and teammates respect! I would say that White, Edmunds, Allen and probably Morse are high on that list. Now let’s see if Diggs ends up there as well? 

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes exactly not to mention he wasn't that good at it last season...albeit probably because of injury

Just needs lateral quickness (which Milano has), ability to initial cover 1v1 RBs primarily sometimes slot/TE and widen into slot (which Milano can do decently), and read/force run weakside to proper gap inside (which he was terrible at last year)...it's not nearly as big a position responsibility wise in this defense imo

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm just not following your logic is all. It doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's also been shown the defense is worse without Milano on the field.

It really wasnt.  Look at when he missed time did they Miss a Beat?  Nope

1 hour ago, hjnick said:

This was a topic I was thinking of bringing up but more of a 'which positions would you pay big money contracts to?' instead of people.

For me, this has nothing to do with the player or how good they are, just where you want to distribute the money at which position.

I can't see us paying top dollar for 2 linebackers.  That is a lot of money at one position, when you could use it for a more impact player at DE or CB.

A couple of years down the road when we are paying Allen (35MIL+), Diggs (15MIL+ new contract?), Dawkins (13-15MIL+), White (15-18MIL+), plus field a team... The money will dry up fast. 

Allen 35+?

Edited by dneveu

4 minutes ago, Bring it said:

I like your group except I’m not sold that Oliver will be that dominate to get top end pay. I think he will be good but maybe not deserving of top money. 

Beane commented on paying players top money and how it can divide a locker room when a player that isn’t that good or not respected has a bloated contract! It would be interesting to see some of his criteria for top money! Character is certainly one along with leadership and teammates respect! I would say that White, Edmunds, Allen and probably Morse are high on that list. Now let’s see if Diggs ends up there as well? 

Hard to really comment on will he get there after a Rookie year, but you would hope that your 9th overall pick becomes part of your Core  Not really a ranked list, just went through the roster is all

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They also really didnt pay Davis that much.  In todays money his big extension in his prime would have been 5 years 43.435M.  That would be an ideal contract for Milano.

Where does Milano compare to Deion Jones and Shaq Thompson?  They both got north of 13 million AAV.  Same with Kwon Alexander.  

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Where does Milano compare to Deion Jones and Shaq Thompson?  They both got north of 13 million AAV.  Same with Kwon Alexander.  

And isnt he on the trade block? A year after that deal

Milano has a 13.7% Missed tackle rate last year Thompson was at 9.2 Jones at 10.6%

Milano highest missed tackle rate was 20.4% in 2018.

Milano Pass rating against 94.5, Thompson 95.2, Jones 92.3

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

And isnt he on the trade block?

I'm just playing "agent"/devils advocate.  Wouldn't these players contracts make him want to at least be in that same area?  Van Noy rushes the passer a bit more, but he could theoretically fall in the so called 3-down LBer role.  

10 minutes ago, Bring it said:

I mean - he had a really positive rookie year i thought.  His numbers aren't insane but again... he was a rookie.  I'm hopeful for a good jump in year 2.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm just playing "agent"/devils advocate.  Wouldn't these players contracts make him want to at least be in that same area?  Van Noy rushes the passer a bit more, but he could theoretically fall in the so called 3-down LBer role.  

So looking at the advanced metrics on https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MilaMa00.htm

He missed tackles at a Higher Rate than Thompson and Jones.  And had Similar Pass Defense Stats

And Alexander I say the same to that agent I said here, that the team less than a year later wants that contract and player off their books.

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Could see Milano getting 10 mil per year but that’s all. He is excellent in coverage and a decent tackler for his size! He really hasn’t had many game changing plays like say White has. A pick, forced fumble or timely sack. Given he is a minimalist,  Maybe he will sign for 8 mil !!?

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And isnt he on the trade block? A year after that deal

It's a completely different animal when you have a home grown player in the same scheme. Unless you see McDermott leaving Milano is going to keep playing 100% of the snaps. I mean he's not even being pushed for snaps. 

1 minute ago, Bring it said:

Could see Milano getting 10 mil per year but that’s all. He is excellent in coverage and a decent tackler for his size! He really hasn’t had many game changing plays like say White has. A pick, forced fumble or timely sack. Given he is a minimalist,  Maybe he will sign for 8 mil !!?

He did in 2018. Hopefully year 2 from injury he returns to that.