There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/many-millennialsgen-z-stressed-all-time-job-mobility-plunges-first-time

No school and no jobs for young people. Not good. Thank you to China and their American supporters.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/nyu-prof-hundreds-if-not-thousands-universities-will-soon-be-walking-dead

Gender and race studies will take a serious hit over this. That is really too bad for the social engineering cult.

Edited by Reality Check

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Cuomo has said that he expects state aid to be reduced by at least 20 percent starting 2020-21 school year.  I wonder how this will affect re-opening?

Who didn't foresee closing down the state for 4 months as having an impact on taxes?

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Who didn't foresee closing down the state for 4 months as having an impact on taxes?

Easy for people such as ourselves to see but I would imagine quite a few people even now do not see the ramifications of unrealized tax revenue.  I don't think districts are allowed to borrow money for non-capital projects.  Even before Corona the City of Rochester SD was facing a seven figure deficit with the only real option of cutting staff to make up for the short fall.  I would imagine many districts if they are not facing issues will face them.  

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

do you realize how much larger the death toll would be right now had american not closed when they did? 

the lockdowns SAVED LIVES. just because your ***** children couldn't attend their graduation doesn't mean their lives will end. get a grip 

23 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

do you realize how much larger the death toll would be right now had american not closed when they did? 

the lockdowns SAVED LIVES. just because your ***** children couldn't attend their graduation doesn't mean their lives will end. get a grip 

Thank God for Trump and his strong encouragement to the states to stop the spread by shutting down. Too bad some governors can't read and thought the CDC recommended returning infected people to nursing homes.

4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Easy for people such as ourselves to see but I would imagine quite a few people even now do not see the ramifications of unrealized tax revenue.  I don't think districts are allowed to borrow money for non-capital projects.  Even before Corona the City of Rochester SD was facing a seven figure deficit with the only real option of cutting staff to make up for the short fall.  I would imagine many districts if they are not facing issues will face them.  

How much staff do they have to cut for a 7 figure deficit?  Five?  ?  And how much of that is pension obligations? 

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How much staff do they have to cut for a 7 figure deficit?  Five?  ?  And how much of that is pension obligations? 

OK, as of the last week they were dealing with an 87 million dollar gap (the figure has varied the last few months so we should say an EIGHT figure deficit) and were eliminating 300 teaching positions and closing 5 buildings.  I don't live in that district so I don't follow to the day in terms of what is taking place there.  My apologies.  

Pending home sales breaks records

WASHINGTON (June 29, 2020) – Pending home sales mounted a record comeback in May, seeing encouraging contract activity after two previous months of declines brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, according to the National Association of Realtors®. Every major region recorded an increase in month-over-month pending home sales transactions, while the South also experienced a year-over-year increase in pending transactions.

The Pending Home Sales Index (PHSI),* www.nar.realtor/pending-home-sales, a forward-looking indicator of home sales based on contract signings, rose 44.3% to 99.6 in May, chronicling the highest month-over-month gain in the index since NAR started this series in January 2001. Year-over-year, contract signings fell 5.1%. An index of 100 is equal to the level of contract activity in 2001.

“This has been a spectacular recovery for contract signings, and goes to show the resiliency of American consumers and their evergreen desire for homeownership,” said Lawrence Yun, NAR’s chief economist. “This bounce back also speaks to how the housing sector could lead the way for a broader economic recovery.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Not sure how excited I should be over this.  Making a move to buy a home is more than a 1 or 2 month period in terms of planning and execution.  Not saying that an industry association can't toot its own horn but the data does not suggest a broad recovery in my mind.  The data needs to be broken down to give a clear picture of what is going on by region and income category.  I'd rather look at measures such as vehicle leasing and purchasing, account activity by businesses to those that provide goods or services to them, etc..

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Not sure how excited I should be over this.  Making a move to buy a home is more than a 1 or 2 month period in terms of planning and execution.  Not saying that an industry association can't toot its own horn but the data does not suggest a broad recovery in my mind.  The data needs to be broken down to give a clear picture of what is going on by region and income category.  I'd rather look at measures such as vehicle leasing and purchasing, account activity by businesses to those that provide goods or services to them, etc..

I rarely look at one indicator to conclude a view.  It's just a data point a positive one at that to support that there are green shoots.   With that said, and we've discussed it before there are cross currents at play.  This just happens to be a potential positive indicator.

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

I rarely look at one indicator to conclude a view.  It's just a data point a positive one at that to support that there are green shoots.   With that said, and we've discussed it before there are cross currents at play.  This just happens to be a potential positive indicator.

I can appreciate what you are saying.  I just find realtors's associations as being particularly obnoxious.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1