There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

If these numbers are true, expect a fast rethinking of "not going back to school" by the Democrats. The article goes into how the 18-24 year old group have been notoriously bad about voting, but the Obama machine shook the bushes and got them there. It goes on to explain how colleges have been very good lately about getting students to vote, etc...

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If these numbers are true, expect a fast rethinking of "not going back to school" by the Democrats. The article goes into how the 18-24 year old group have been notoriously bad about voting, but the Obama machine shook the bushes and got them there. It goes on to explain how colleges have been very good lately about getting students to vote, etc...

I must be getting old cause I hadn't thought of this... To a large extent aside from unions, this is also where the Democrats get their foot soldiers to put up signs and such. Republicans won't be as affected because "grown ups" do a lot of their work for them... 

30 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

oh man, I was an undergrad at UB during the ‘08 election.  I was looked at like I had four heads if I dared tell anyone that I was planning on voting for McCain.

As you should have been. LOL

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

ICE tells students on visas they must leave US if schools go online-only

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced Monday that international students in the U.S. whose schools switch to online classes for the fall semester will have to leave the country or risk violating their visa status.

Under the new rule, foreign nationals enrolled in U.S. educational institutions will have to leave the country unless part of their course load this fall is taken in-person.

</snip>

My mother is thrilled to be able to see my father again soon.

New York to allow limited visitors to nursing homes again

Limited visits to residents in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities where there have been no Covid-19 cases for at least 28 days can begin in five days, State Health Department Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker announced Friday.

Residents can have up to two visitors at a time. Visitors must have their temperatures checked, wear a face covering and maintain social distancing, Zucker said.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My mother is thrilled to be able to see my father again soon.

New York to allow limited visitors to nursing homes again

Limited visits to residents in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities where there have been no Covid-19 cases for at least 28 days can begin in five days, State Health Department Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker announced Friday.

Residents can have up to two visitors at a time. Visitors must have their temperatures checked, wear a face covering and maintain social distancing, Zucker said.

</snip>

IDK. That 28 day free requirement seems like a high barrier to pass nowadays 

I pray that they will get together 

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

IDK. That 28 day free requirement seems like a high barrier to pass nowadays 

I pray that they will get together 

AND they are only letting 10% visitors in. So, if the facility has 200 residents, only 20 visitors (per day? at a time?). She is going to find out if they have a list (appointment) and realizes she will not be able to see him daily until the restrictions are loosened (she used to go for 6 hours a day, every day).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

On 7/8/2020 at 6:24 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

This does seem to make sense.  The GOTV campus programs are powerful motivating factors for students to register and vote.  No matter what happens this fall the GOTV effectiveness won’t be at 100%.   Could end up playing a decisive factor in the elections.

New Housing construction sees 55% year over year growth.

It is the perfect storm for the nation’s homebuilders. A sharp decline in the supply of existing homes for sale, increasing consumer preference for brand-new, high-tech homes with all the amenities for working and schooling, as well as an accelerating flight to the suburbs and exurbs made for remarkable housing demand in June.

While the official government count isn’t out until the end of the month, sales of newly built homes jumped 55% annually in June, according to a monthly survey by John Burns Real Estate Consulting, which has historically mirrored the U.S. Census report. It was the largest annual gain since homebuilding began again following the epic housing crash a decade ago.

It is also the highest pace of sales growth since the height of the unprecedented housing boom in 2005. That expansion was driven by negligent lending in the subprime mortgage market. This boom appears to be driven by the coronavirus pandemic.

“The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming. Sales in the distant commuter areas are the most robust,” said John Burns, founder and CEO of JBRC. “I believe a lot of computer-oriented people have proven to their co-workers that they can be productive from home, and have sensed, or officially been given the green light, to work from home at least a significant portion of the time after a vaccine has been found.”

• Thank you (+1) 1