What about White/Milano/Dawkins?

Unless one takes a team freindly deal I dont see any signed this summer.  White has earned top corner money.  I think you pick up the 5th year option and find a time in the next year to get it done.  

For me neither Dawkins or Milano have earned top dollar.  If they dont drop the price tag you see if they can elevate their play.

43 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Unless one takes a team freindly deal I dont see any signed this summer.  White has earned top corner money.  I think you pick up the 5th year option and find a time in the next year to get it done.  

For me neither Dawkins or Milano have earned top dollar.  If they dont drop the price tag you see if they can elevate their play.

White's a "set the market" kind of player.  I don't see Dawkins or Milano as that guy.  OLB's who get paid are traditionally pass rusher's, and he has 2.5 sacks in 3 years.  He's a solid coverage linebacker and a smart player.  At the same token - Shaq Thompson just got 13.5 AAV.  I assume negotiations are starting at around 11-13M per year for Milano?  

Dawkins?  Vet deals basically start at 10 million, and he'll be a younger player so you're looking at like 14?  

I really like Milano. But I don't see the Bills signing him to an extension. It's all about allocation of resources. The salary cap is a finite number. Tre and Dawkings are going to average 35 - 40 million total. Milano will require a lot of money to re-sign. Not LT or CB money. But it will be a significant number. You want to keep your own, but you can't re-sign everyone.

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

White's a "set the market" kind of player.  I don't see Dawkins or Milano as that guy.  OLB's who get paid are traditionally pass rusher's, and he has 2.5 sacks in 3 years.  He's a solid coverage linebacker and a smart player.  At the same token - Shaq Thompson just got 13.5 AAV.  I assume negotiations are starting at around 11-13M per year for Milano?  

Dawkins?  Vet deals basically start at 10 million, and he'll be a younger player so you're looking at like 14?  

I dont think either guy is worth those contracts today.  Neither are at pro bowl or pro bowl alternate level yet.  Those are the guys Buffalo fans adore the team traidionally over pays.  The truely elite guys like Gilmore, in this case White, become too expensive and are not retained.  I think Dawkins is closer to being a core player than Milano, but neither are as important or as good as White.    I hope Buffalo breaks the mold.  Pay White and letnthe middle of the roster players walk who want too much money.

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

I really like Milano. But I don't see the Bills signing him to an extension. It's all about allocation of resources. The salary cap is a finite number. Tre and Dawkings are going to average 35 - 40 million total. Milano will require a lot of money to re-sign. Not LT or CB money. But it will be a significant number. You want to keep your own, but you can't re-sign everyone.

They got 2020 to see if either guy is worth it.  If Milano looks like a real playmaker maybe you keep him over Dawkins.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I dont think either guy is worth those contracts today.  Neither are at pro bowl or pro bowl alternate level yet.  Those are the guys Buffalo fans adore the team traidionally over pays.  The truely elite guys like Gilmore, in this case White, become too expensive and are not retained.  I think Dawkins is closer to being a core player than Milano, but neither are as important or as good as White.    I hope Buffalo breaks the mold.  Pay White and letnthe middle of the roster players walk who want too much money.

They got 2020 to see if either guy is worth it.  If Milano looks like a real playmaker maybe you keep him over Dawkins.

Maybe so on Milano over Dawkins. It's possible, I won't count anything out. But he'd have to ball out. As it is, Milano is a better LBer than Dawkins is an LT, but LT is just so valuable to a football team's success.

The Bills under Brandon Beane seem to like to take one section of the off-season at a time. They seem to put all of their attention into free agency, then shift completely to the draft.

Beane himself said that after the draft, because of COVID, there’s not much on the calendar — or at least, not as much as there usually is.

All of this is to say that it wouldn’t surprise me if we hear a few contract extension announcements in the months AFTER the draft. 

Echoing others here, I think Dawkins and White are (rightly) the top priorities. I think there’s a 60% chance the Bills re-sign Milano, though.

Edit**. Here’s Beane’s quote from the Yahoo article linked in the post before this:   

“If you look at our history, I’ve generally done most of those guys — we did do Jordan before that, before we hit free agency. Beyond that — most of the guys I’ve done from Jerry Hughes, Eric Wood, [Stephen] Hauschka and some of those guys we’ve done more in the spring/summer time frame,” Beane said.

Edited by Logic