Anyone Else Here Ever Ride On the Comet?

T&C

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Vandalism and wear turned the ‘Magic Carpet’ into the ‘Magic Palace’.  When someone would slice the carpet, it would allow fingers and other parts to be drawn in and pinched, eventually it was decided to remove the rug and have people schlep down the stairs.

Was this attached to the Laff in the Dark? Or, wherever the air vents came up?

35 minutes ago, T&C said:

Was this attached to the Laff in the Dark? Or, wherever the air vents came up?

No, the ‘Magic Carpet / Castle’ was its own building, fairly close to the park’s main entrance at Ridgeway Rd. / Erie Rd., navigated on foot.  This was the building with the air jets.  ‘Laff in the Dark’was further south and east, tucked into the southeast part of the park, close to Ridgeway Rd.  It was a ride where passengers were in cars in a funhouse setting.  Although not part of the ride, this was where Laughing Sal and the piano playing skeleton were, visible from the outside.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No, the ‘Magic Carpet / Castle’ was its own building, fairly close to the park’s main entrance at Ridgeway Rd. / Erie Rd., navigated on foot. Laff in the Dark was further south and east, tucked into the southeast part of the park, close to Ridgeway Rd.  It was a ride where passengers were in cars in a funhouse setting.

You triggered a nerve...

I got them mixed up, thanks for the clarification. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Vandalism and wear turned the ‘Magic Carpet’ into the ‘Magic Palace’.  When someone would slice the carpet, it would allow fingers and other parts to be drawn in and pinched, eventually it was decided to remove the rug and have people schlep down the stairs.

The Magic Carpet was my favorite attraction at Crystal Beach, even more than the rides.    We always started and ended the day with it.    The rug seemed so high when we stood at the top looking down...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup... But when they max out the daily allotments....You're still standing in line with the smelly masses.  Sucks if you pick a slow day... They got your extra $$$$.

I guess it's like taking the rental car company's insurance rather than using yours.  Great if if you get in wreck.  POOF! If you don't.

It's because you paid as you went.  Tickets for ride.  Notice that model would change in late 1970s.

Parks were also dumpy back then.  We'd bring a cooler and drag it.  Try THAT today.  They want you buying their food.  Darien, you can pack your own lunch... But stay in parking lot, old shelters next to the row of dumpsters.

We used to do that all the time when my parents took us places, we had a cooler and sandwiches we would drag along in a wagon with us. Marineland in the falls would let you bring your stuff in with you. When we were at Canada's Wonderland last year we could bring a wagon with us but had to leave the cooler in the car, for lunch we went outside and sat on the hills near the entrance in the parking lot and ate, then went back in. Canada's Wonderland wouldn't let us bring in our own lifejackets for the kids for the water park, had to use theirs which took us forever to find any available when we went in there.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The school was Crystal Beach Public School on Derby Road. Vacant for a few years now, demolished just last year or so.  All the Crystal Beach K-8 kids have been consolidated into Joseph Brant Public School in Ridgeway, rebuilt on the site of the old Ridgeway Public School.   The bakery was Pep’s, I believe.

I was trying to picture the school, I think I remember it now but it was still in use. Guessing it closed when the new school opened. And I am assuming the land will be bought by one of the developer for a subdivision, lol

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

The Magic Carpet was my favorite attraction at Crystal Beach, even more than the rides.    We always started and ended the day with it.    The rug seemed so high when we stood at the top looking down...

We would end every family trip to CB riding down the Magic Carpet. I don't know when they took the carpet ride out. I think mid to late 70s was probably the last time I rode the rides but I never bothered with the Magic Carpet except as a kid with the family. The Comet was #1 attraction for me from the time I was tall enough.

Edited by Turk71

Didn't the Magic Carpet have a whistle on a balcony that produced a minor electrical shock when you pulled it?

They may have taken that "feature" out do to complaints.

I distinctly remember my first time through there and one of my siblings told me to pull the chain to activate the whistle.

When the minor shock came, I could't let go because I  couldn't open my hand to release it, so my sibling had to pull my hand off it.

Never touched again.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, LabattBlue said:

I road the Comet more than a few times as a teenager in the 70's, but it pales in comparison to it's predecessor, the Cyclone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Beach_Cyclone

My dad used to say that when I was a kid. Things like, "the Comet is nice, but it wasn't anything compared to the Cyclone. " I put those comments in the same category of how far he had to walk to school or how bad the blizzards were in the 30s and 40s.

Then I found this 10 years ago or so and realized he wasn't telling tales.

There's a certain element of every thrill ride where you say, "will this thing fall apart?" that adds to the excitement. In that category, the Cyclone scores an A+. Besides the bank turns and the twisting drops, it don't look like the most stable ride.

Edited by CookieG

30 minutes ago, CookieG said:

My dad used to say that when I was a kid. Things like, "the Comet is nice, but it wasn't anything compared to the Cyclone. " I put those comments in the same category of how far he had to walk to school or how bad the blizzards were in the 30s and 40s.

Then I found this 10 years ago or so and realized he wasn't telling tales.

There's a certain element of every thrill ride where you say, "will this thing fall apart?" that adds to the excitement. In that category, the Cyclone scores an A+. Besides the bank turns and the twisting drops, it don't look like the most stable ride.

The Cyclone top speed listed at 60 mph with a g-force of 4Gs, the Comet was 55 mph. The Comet was less scary, a much longer lasting ride, and could haul over 8 times the amount of riders per hour.