Athletic: "What the advanced stats tell us about Josh Allen’s growth in 2019 and beyond"

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Your wife is pregnant and you predict it's a boy.

Should she buy blue paint for the nursery and should everyone coming to the baby shower shop for a baby boy because you told everyone you thought it would be a boy?

giphy.gif

yeah that’s a hope, not a prediction in the same way “allen’s a mvp candidate this year” is. You could have saved yourself much grief if you had just titled your thread “I hope josh allen is a mvp candidate.”

Again you can backpedal and post cute gifs till you hit the pacific homie nothing changes. The fact that it isn’t just me calling you out should tell you something.

You don’t expect your wife to birth a boy or girl, you may have a preference and hope for that, but expecting it is, idk, stupid?

Edited by JoPoy88

Allen can make all the plays and has now convincingly led this team to the playoffs, accounting for > 350 yards of offense in that game. He is THE guy in Buffalo and the fans need to get over it. The only other QB in his class to make the playoffs so far is Lamar Jackson and he has fallen on his face both times as a gimmick QB. Allen is no gimmick. Have people already forgotten the drought and all the awful QB play we saw for 2 decades? How many Pro Bowls has the rest of the offense made? The obvious move for the FO is to improve his receivers, tight ends and linemen. Replacing the QB that carried the offense on his back to the playoffs would be shocking.

I don't know if anyone else sees this, and I may be wrong, but I watched his high school highlights, it appears Josh is throwing a 3/4 to sidearm pass. It's as if it's more of a baseball throw than a football one. And to consider this is where he was at the time when he was just about to enter college and to see where he is now, it's no wonder he's had this development curve because he's had to learn so much of the fundamental mechanics at this stage of his career when many others, if not virtually all of them, have gone through this teaching process for years. 

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't know if anyone else sees this, and I may be wrong, but I watched his high school highlights, it appears Josh is throwing a 3/4 to sidearm pass. It's as if it's more of a baseball throw than a football one. And to consider this is where he was at the time when he was just about to enter college and to see where he is now, it's no wonder he's had this development curve because he's had to learn so much of the fundamental mechanics at this stage of his career when many others, if not virtually all of them, have gone through this teaching process for years. 

I think that's true. 

Add in that he apparently grew 4 inches between his Jr year of HS and his 1st year at Wyoming - including 2" after Sr year - and didn't bulk up until Wyo. 

He literally has only lived in his current body for a few years.

I think one reason why the Bills felt more comfortable drafting him with technique questions, is they felt they weren't as "set in stone" through years of repetition as some other guys and he was still showing the ability to change and improve.

My main concerns now are between his ears, but that's for the Bills coaches, Palmer, and "Uncle Jim" to sort with him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah that’s a hope, not a prediction in the same way “allen’s a mvp candidate this year” is. You could have saved yourself much grief if you had just titled your thread “I hope josh allen is a mvp candidate.”

Again you can backpedal and post cute gifs till you hit the pacific homie nothing changes. The fact that it isn’t just me calling you out should tell you something.

You don’t expect your wife to birth a boy or girl, you may have a preference and hope for that, but expecting it is, idk, stupid?

No. You can predict a boy or a girl for a number of different reasons that aren't just plain blind hope.

Go ask the women in your life if you're unawares.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh Allen has already exhibited in 2 short years an athleticism few knew existed. He was always going to be raw and take longer on his projected path. Maybe even 4 years? I still believe he has competed with an oline, wr Corp and te group very underwhelming. This is the season to spend most of that cap money on offense. If JA starts creeping into a 90+ qb rating than the progression continues. Get him a legit #1 Wr & TE and he'll really take charge.

Considering he jumped from a QB Rating of 67.9 in his rookie year to 85.3 in his 2nd year, wouldn't anything less than a QB Rating of a 90 be a pretty massive disappointment?  I know it would be for me.

And even though Passer rating isn't one of those "advanced stats," it's really worth noting that in the last 20 years there were only 4 other QBs with a significant (15+ points) bump from their first year starting to their 2nd year:

Matthew Stafford

Derek Carr

Blake Bortles

Carson Palmer

Now add Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson into that mix.

That type of improvement just doesn't happen very often, though.  

Is Allen more like Bortles or the other 3 guys?  Well, keeping the same offense and OC really helps, I think.  Bortles really suffered, in part, from constant change.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's true. 

Add in that he apparently grew 4 inches between his Jr year of HS and his 1st year at Wyoming - including 2" after Sr year - and didn't bulk up until Wyo. 

He literally has only lived in his current body for a few years.

After we drafted him, I was appalled we picked him.

Then I dug into his history. The fact that he was a very late bloomer whose parents would not allow him to specialize the way most NFL QBs do in their youth is what really started the process of my "all-in" attitude on Allen.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think one reason why the Bills felt more comfortable drafting him with technique questions, is they felt they weren't as "set in stone" through years of repetition as some other guys and he was still showing the ability to change and improve.

My main concerns now are between his ears, but that's for the Bills coaches, Palmer, and "Uncle Jim" to sort with him.

Yes!!!

Ironically, the very reason I think we should anticipate another good sized step forward in year 3 for Allen is the fact that unlike all his peers he DIDN'T attend all those QB and 7-on-7 camps when he was young. He's still teachable and he's going to have the same teachers for the 3rd consecutive year.