Happy Chinese new Year!

It is the year of the rat.

The Rat is the first of all zodiac animals. According to one myth, the Jade Emperor said the order would be decided by the order in which they arrived to his party. The Rat tricked the Ox into giving him a ride. Then, just as they arrived at the finish line, Rat jumped down and landed ahead of Ox, becoming first.

Damn rat, must be a Toyota driver always cutting in line in front of me.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, Limeaid said:

I got my red bag this morning.  I used to get one from my Chinese mother but since he died I not was expecting one.  I think my wife just did it because she is older than me.

chinese-new-year-2020-1.jpg

Kind of weird but hey... it takes all types to make this world go around.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Kind of weird but hey... it takes all types to make this world go around.

Usually in Chinese families the woman marries into husband's family but in my case I married into my wife's family.

My wife's mother had multiple son-in-laws but I was the only one she referred to as her son.

She passed away last year after a long, debilitating, humiliating illness.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Do the Chinese call that “wearing the pants” too?

Never heard that expression in Chinese (穿褲子, Chuān kùzi) but my wife wears pants a lot more than me - I tend to wear shorts even in winter unless I am working outside when it is cold.  It probably does not translate well to a culture where men wore robes for almost 3000 years and those who did wear trousers of some sort were more likely laborers or the trousers were secondary items.

44 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Usually in Chinese families the woman marries into husband's family but in my case I married into my wife's family.

My wife's mother had multiple son-in-laws but I was the only one she referred to as her son.

She passed away last year after a long, debilitating, humiliating illness.

I was just joking with you as you put "he" instead of she... its all good.

53 minutes ago, T&C said:

I was just joking with you as you put "he" instead of she... its all good.

Sorry I am a bit touchy and trying to stay refrained. 

Very bad day last Saturday, posted a bit trying to release stress and got banned for a week with permanent stain on my TBD soul which made my day even worse.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Sorry I am a bit touchy and trying to stay refrained. 

Very bad day last Saturday, posted a bit trying to release stress and got banned for a week with permanent stain on my TBD soul which made my day even worse.

If you haven’t been banned at least once on this forum you’re not doing it right.