The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

18 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Florida about to eclipse their record for most deaths in a day and it's 2:10 EST :(

Florida updates once a day. They don't trickle it out like some states, today's update is in. It's high, even for a catchup day, but putting any weight into a single day spike in data is a fools' game. 

4 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Won't know that until tomorrow. Hopefully you are correct. 

You won't know tomorrow either. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

If you look at the Florida chart specifically, Thursdays have had their highest numbers followed by Tuesdays.

Good to know. 

Either way, here is the important snapshot:

image.thumb.png.0f465a60d7272080abb816b4fd05c854.png

Yellow trending up, grey trending down. 

Also, there's that pesky wording on the bottom which pretty much ensures that these deaths are accounting for co-morbidity (unless I'm missing something) 

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

not for nothing but didn't they just develop a new treatment for severe cases that reduced the number of deaths?

Surveillance and contact tracing testing is skewing the age of the confirmed positives lower.  So the people who are testing positive and getting hospitalized are younger which means their probability of living are higher.  Plus Medical professionals are getting better at treating their patients.

I think to get a really clear picture you'd have to get hospital data at a much more granular level than what we are privy to.   I have heard some theories that every single patient in the hospital is being tested, which would do a couple things, it would get more confirmed positives and it would imply that the patients were hospitalized due to non COVID reasons.

I don't believe there is one single reason as to why this clear divergence of hospitalizations and deaths, I think it's due to a bevy of reasons.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Surveillance and contact tracing testing is skewing the age of the confirmed positives lower.  So the people who are testing positive and getting hospitalized are younger which means their probability of living are higher.  Plus Medical professionals are getting better at treating their patients.

I think to get a really clear picture you'd have to get hospital data at a much more granular level than what we are privy to.   I have heard some theories that every single patient in the hospital is being tested, which would do a couple things, it would get more confirmed positives and it would imply that the patients were hospitalized due to non COVID reasons.

I don't believe there is one single reason as to why this clear divergence of hospitalizations and deaths, I think it's due to a bevy of reasons.

Seeing as you're one of the more informed on this board with this topic, have you heard anything / seen anything credible about hospitals getting compensated differently for Covid Patients?

I would imagine if that were true, they would want as many patients as possible, even if they're coming in with other issues and non-symptoms. 

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

I have heard some theories that every single patient in the hospital is being tested

This would be great but I can confirm at least in Erie/Chautauqua County it is not being done.

Edited by Warren Zevon
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seeing as you're one of the more informed on this board with this topic, have you heard anything / seen anything credible about hospitals getting compensated differently for Covid Patients?

I would imagine if that were true, they would want as many patients as possible, even if they're coming in with other issues and non-symptoms. 

They do.  It's part of the CARE's ACT.   If a COVID infected or assumed to be infected patient dies and is on a Medicare or a Ventilator they get paid more.

Jensen said, "Hospital administrators might well want to see COVID-19 attached to a discharge summary or a death certificate. Why? Because if it's a straightforward, garden-variety pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for – if they're Medicare – typically, the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment would be $5,000. But if it's COVID-19 pneumonia, then it's $13,000, and if that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator, it goes up to $39,000."

Ask FactCheck weighed in April 21: "The figures cited by Jensen generally square with estimated Medicare payments for COVID-19 hospitalizations, based on average Medicare payments for patients with similar diagnoses."

Ask FactCheck reporter Angelo Fichera, who interviewed Jensen, noted, "Jensen said he did not think that hospitals were intentionally misclassifying cases for financial reasons. But that’s how his comments have been widely interpreted and paraded on social media."

Ask FactCheck's conclusion: "Recent legislation pays hospitals higher Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients and treatment, but there is no evidence of fraudulent reporting."