Interesting or Funny ways you got out of a ticket

Another Fan

Pulled over a few times in a town my buddy and his brother are police officers in.  Mention their names, and usually not a problem.  Except once, the officer was really angry when i mention their names and curtly told me to have a good day.

Used to be in sales and just came out of a meeting with my sales manager who truly was a complete idiot.  I had enough so started to clear my desk and threw the box in the back seat of the car.  Lived about 10 minutes from work and just wanted to go home and decompress.  Was speeding, probably 10 mph over.  Unmarked car starts following me.  Wasn't sure it was a cop, but obvious he was following me.  Pulled up in front of my house and he approached my car.  Told him exactly what happened, saw the box in my back seat and he let me go.   

Thing is, be respectful and most importantly, be honest.  Goes a long way.  From talking to my buddies, they'd much rather give warnings unless the person is an a**hole.  They don't have a quota per se,  but are expected to write tickets to prove they are doing their jobs.  Expectations are about 1 ticket every other shift.  I would have thought they'd be expected to write a few a day at least.

22 hours ago, Steve O said:

Moral of the story is let the cop know he isn't in danger and be respectful. Probably doesn't hurt to be middle aged (in my 40's both times.) If the cop is giving you a lecture, listen and agree, you're probably no going to get both a lecture and a ticket. 

Perfect advice! Giving a lecture AND a ticket was a recipe for a complaint.

I once rear-ended a guy .... He was ahead of me at a red light.  He was turning left; I was going straight.  Light turned green, he started to go, I went to go around him .. then he suddenly/inexplicably stopped.  I hit him.  I was in the wrong 100%.

Police officer comes.  Talks to the other guy; talks to me.  The other guy was all dramatic, "I don't know what happened, the light turned green and I could see him coming for me, so I braced for impact."  Drama queen.  The police officer asks me, "so what happened?  DId your foot just slip off of the brake?"  I told him, "Honestly, no.  I assumed he was turning, I went to go around him, he didn't and I hit him."

He tells me to go on my way ... no ticket.

As I was getting into my car, I overheard him tell the other guy, "You need to stick around to talk about what I found when I ran your registration ..."

I got a ticket for taking an illegal left turn out of a Burger King parking lot onto a completely empty street.  Made the mistake of admitting what I did when the officer came to my window.

I also got stopped a couple times, one for going 10 miles over the speed limit when it was raining (cop says his limit is 8 during that kind of weather) and another time for appearing like I was going to speed (some Minority Report type stuff going on there).  Got a warning both times, rightfully.

One time I had a patient who was a bogwig in the police department.  He was in recovery with his wife  and I asked what I can do about getting out of a ticket.  His wife chimed-in "I usually cry or show cleavage."  I said "failing that, what else can I do?"  He gave me his card and said to tell cops I'm his personal anesthesiologist. 

I used to work nights. 4 ten hour shifts with Fri-Sun off. One particular Thursday night I got out of work around 11. Stopped and got some Whataburger. Went through a stop sign. Cop asked me why. I was just straight honest with him. "Honestly. I just got out of work. Had a long week. My weekend starts now. And I have some Whataburger I want to take home and eat." The cop just replied "Ah. I love Whataburger. Understandable. Slow down next time, and enjoy."

Another time I got out of it because I had a Sabres sticker on the back of my truck and the cops wife was from Buffalo.

I am the only person I know to have ever received a ticket for a moving violation from a cop on horseback. Back in 1990, kids would cruise Memorial here in Tulsa. Everyone had the same turnaround points, and I was in a line of cars rolling through a shopping strip parking lot to get back heading south. I guess the shop owners complained, so there is a friggin Mountie posted. Yeah, he picked my car. "Bypassing a traffic signal" was the ticket. We had contraband in the car so I did not dare to argue.