Computer plate umps allowed in new labor deal

ALF

Computer plate umpires could be called up to the major leagues at some point during the next five seasons.

Umpires agreed to cooperate with Major League Baseball in the development and testing of an automated ball-strike system as part of a five-year labor contract announced Saturday, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/computer-plate-umps-allowed-in-new-labor-deal

The sooner the better

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This makes me sad and angry.  Leave the goddamn game alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

says the guy that B&Ms over EVERY perceived missed call?

You want to fix inequality? Put a chip in the damn football. There is nothing more imprecise than spotting the ball.  Drives me out of my mind at least 4 times/game.  Then require enough cameras to blanket the field. Those billionaires can afford it.  Enough of this we don't have the angle crap.  Spotting a punt that flies OOB? Laughable.  Spotting the ball on a deep pass? Fergitaboutit.

Use the ***** technology.

To the OP, especially in baseball where it's proven, year after year that the umps carry grudges forever and they are not in any way held accountable.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

says the guy that B&Ms over EVERY perceived missed call?

You want to fix inequality? Put a chip in the damn football. There is nothing more imprecise than spotting the ball.  Drives me out of my mind at least 4 times/game.  Then require enough cameras to blanket the field. Those billionaires can afford it.  Enough of this we don't have the angle crap.  Spotting a punt that flies OOB? Laughable.  Spotting the ball on a deep pass? Fergitaboutit.

Use the ***** technology.

To the OP, especially in baseball where it's proven, year after year that the umps carry grudges forever and they are not in any way held accountable.

There have always been umps who are known for "their strikezones."  It's part of the game.  It's part of the players having to know the game and study the game.

I'm not sure when/how football came into the conversation.  This is about baseball, specifically, balls and strikes.

They don't punt in baseball.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There have always been umps who are known for "their strikezones."  It's part of the game.  It's part of the players having to know the game and study the game.

I'm not sure when/how football came into the conversation.  This is about baseball, specifically, balls and strikes.

They don't punt in baseball.

Pardon me for broadening the argument.  There is a defined strike zone in the game. Yet, it is up to the players to meet the expectations of each individual umpires likes and dislikes.  It is OK for umpires to hold grudges against certain players, managers and/or teams.

Yes, that's a beautiful game.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Pardon me for broadening the argument.  There is a defined strike zone in the game. Yet, it is up to the players to meet the expectations of each individual umpires likes and dislikes.  It is OK for umpires to hold grudges against certain players, managers and/or teams.

Yes, that's a beautiful game.

If a player knows that an ump doesn't care for him, then the player knows that he has to swing at anything that's close.  It's that simple.  Is it right for umps to hold grudges?  No.  Players hold grudges, too.  They're human.  It happens, but it's not common.

Just now, Gugny said:

If a player knows that an ump doesn't care for him, then the player knows that he has to swing at anything that's close.  It's that simple.  Is it right for umps to hold grudges?  No.  Players hold grudges, too.  They're human.  It happens, but it's not common.

Not common? Is at least an every year occurrence common?  

Swing at anything that's close.  I'll tell that to my kid when he graduates from T-ball.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Not common? Is at least an every year occurrence common?  

Swing at anything that's close.  I'll tell that to my kid when he graduates from T-ball.

2592 games are played in the regular season.  That's roughly 23,328 innings.  That's a minimum of 139,968 batsmen (realistically, closer to 200K).  If I see it 5 times/year watching all of the Mets' games, that's a lot.

So, yes .... it is very uncommon.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

2592 games are played in the regular season.  That's roughly 23,328 innings.  That's a minimum of 139,968 batsmen (realistically, closer to 200K).  If I see it 5 times/year watching all of the Mets' games, that's a lot.

So, yes .... it is very uncommon.

Where else should we reward imperfection and meaningful breaking of rules?

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This makes me sad and angry.  Leave the goddamn game alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope, people are convinced their team is ripped off (Bills fans get a gold medal) and that ttechnology will resolve this

its so cute and sweet and stupid of them

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a proponent of baseball tradition more than most, but I don’t see why anyone would want to perpetuate a system where balls are called strikes and strikes are called balls if there’s a more accurate way to do it. As long as the system is fully vetted and works reliably and immediately, it would be an improvement. However, it if can’t sustain both of those requirements during a pilot period, then it should not be adopted.

However if this means that Angel Hernandez loses his job I may be able to be swayed for robot-umps. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

I’m a proponent of baseball tradition more than most, but I don’t see why anyone would want to perpetuate a system where balls are called strikes and strikes are called balls if there’s a more accurate way to do it. As long as the system is fully vetted and works reliably and immediately, it would be an improvement. However, it if can’t sustain both of those requirements during a pilot period, then it should not be adopted.

However if this means that Angel Hernandez loses his job I may be able to be swayed for robot-umps. 

upon what authority do YOU determine the correct call?

oh yes, bias for one team and sitting on a couch with the sharply reduced perspective of a TV or computer screen

hilarious and sad at the same time

Or course the zone changes with the count, an 0-2 and 3-0 strike zone have to be different than a first pitch of an at bat

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

And if you hit the ball and run for the base who can blame you if referee gets hit by bat accidentally.