Rivalry Week game day thread wk 14

Buffalo Barbarian

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Michigan can't get a decent QB on the roster.  Year after year. 

But yeah, firing Harbaugh won't help.

UM refuses to define the program since the power running game of Bo and Llllloyd ended

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nothing?

Michigan can't get a decent QB on the roster.  Year after year. 

But yeah, firing Harbaugh won't help.

Yes, nothing!

Notre Dame & Stanford have been playing each other on a yearly basis since 1988. I don't know what the attitude is like in South Bend about this "rivalry", but I wouldn't be surprised if the fans are far more excited when the Irish play teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Navy, or even Boston College.

I guarantee you that when the Irish travel to Stanford, the fans are just ho-hum about it. I cannot remember anytime that when this game is played in Palo Alto, that the entire Bay Area is excited about it. The hype is nowhere to be found. Not from the fans, not from the radio stations and very little from the local newspapers. The Stanford fans only care about the game against California, and maybe USC, but that's it.

As for Michigan, they do have decent QB's on the roster. This is my one criticism of Harbaugh. He's recruited a few top notch QB's, Dylan McCaffrey being one of them, but then he got Shea Patterson to transfer from Ole Miss and decided to go with him.

Instead of getting players at a high position from other schools, he should focus on the players he recruits. Let them grow and learn, even if they have to take their bumps.

It's unfortunate because Michigan has very good talent at WR & TE. Patterson got off to a terrible start this season, then eventually he got better and helped get a string of wins together. I just never saw Patterson as a top QB in college. I do think that McCaffrey could be something special.

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Notre Dame & Stanford have been playing each other on a yearly basis since 1988. I don't know what the attitude is like in South Bend about this "rivalry", but I wouldn't be surprised if the fans are far more excited when the Irish play teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Navy, or even Boston College.

I guarantee you that when the Irish travel to Stanford, the fans are just ho-hum about it. I cannot remember anytime that when this game is played in Palo Alto, that the entire Bay Area is excited about it. The hype is nowhere to be found. Not from the fans, not from the radio stations and very little from the local newspapers. The Stanford fans only care about the game against California, and maybe USC, but that's it.

I agree this is one rivalry that few would miss.  ND already has the west coast rivalry with USC, and now that ND is half-ACC, non conference games are at a premium.  I'd rather see them reinstate other traditional regional rivalries like Purdue or MSU.

Yesterday's game looked like a high school crowd with the cold/rain in Palo Alto.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I agree this is one rivalry that few would miss.  ND already has the west coast rivalry with USC, and now that ND is half-ACC, non conference games are at a premium.  I'd rather see them reinstate other traditional regional rivalries like Purdue or MSU.

Yesterday's game looked like a high school crowd with the cold/rain in Palo Alto.

It would probably have looked the same if it had been sunny.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

It would probably have looked the same if it had been sunny.

Yup.  I went to 'The Game' in Berkeley last year.  Decent weather and it was fun, but nothing like seeing a game at big schools in the south or mid-west.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, nothing!

As for Michigan, they do have decent QB's on the roster. This is my one criticism of Harbaugh. He's recruited a few top notch QB's, Dylan McCaffrey being one of them, but then he got Shea Patterson to transfer from Ole Miss and decided to go with him.

Instead of getting players at a high position from other schools, he should focus on the players he recruits. Let them grow and learn, even if they have to take their bumps.

It's unfortunate because Michigan has very good talent at WR & TE. Patterson got off to a terrible start this season, then eventually he got better and helped get a string of wins together. I just never saw Patterson as a top QB in college. I do think that McCaffrey could be something special.

You don't see the stadium in South Bend that sparsely filled for any game.  Pretty crappy fan base of they only get up for one game a year, but it's Stanford so..

Every year Michigan QB's struggle to reach mediocrity.  Seems like the best don't want to play there.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You don't see the stadium in South Bend that sparsely filled for any game.  Pretty crappy fan base of they only get up for one game a year, but it's Stanford so..

Every year Michigan QB's struggle to reach mediocrity.  Seems like the best don't want to play there.  

The ones they have recruited apparently disagree with that.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Attendance was announced at over 112,000

looked like a lot of scarlet on TV

it cleared out early in the 4th

I only saw the first quarter.

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

people don’t want to spend 7 hours, at least, around a game

you could say that about every game.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, nothing!

I think McCaffrey has talent , really hard to tell with the few appearances he has made if he will be good, shame he doesn't have much time left.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Oh yeah, last saw him foolishly running a bootleg into a Wisky safety who was intent on showing what a real targeting penalty looks like

Explain to me what that has to do with what I had posted.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No he wasn't.  But Chad Henne was...

You're sure about that?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642308-5-star-michigan-qb-commit-dylan-mccaffrey-opens-up-on-recruiting-for-wolverines

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.