[WAY OT] Chistening Etiquette?

WAY Off Topic here, but a nice diverse group of people here so I figured I'd ask.

My twins are being Christened this weekend (Lutheran). I know when I got married it was customary to give the pastor an envelope with some money for performing the service - is it also customary to give some money for performing a Christening/Baptism? Is there a difference in etiquette between Catholics and Protestants on this matter? Many of you have been through this with your kids - what did you do?

Thanks for your answers!

Our son is being baptized in the Catholic church next month. I just attended the baptism class last week and they made it a point that there was no "fee" for this at our parish, but if we wanted to make a voluntary donation it would be up to us. We were married in Buffalo and at that church we did have to give money. So for catholics at least it apparently depends on the the parish / diocese.

Responding as a Catlick....yes, weddings, baptisms and funerals don't require it, but it is considered 'good form.' FYI as a former alter boy it was always nice when someone slipped me a little something on the side as well (no I'm not talking about the pastor).

Responding as a Catlick....yes, weddings, baptisms and funerals don't require it, but it is considered 'good form.'  FYI as a former alter boy it was always nice when someone slipped me a little something on the side as well (no I'm not talking about the pastor).

301788[/snapback]

Mostly because he wasn't slipping it to you "on the side?" :P

WAY Off Topic here, but a nice diverse group of people here so I figured I'd ask.

My twins are being Christened this weekend (Lutheran). I know when I got married it was customary to give the pastor an envelope with some money for performing the service - is it also customary to give some money for performing a Christening/Baptism? Is there a difference in etiquette between Catholics and Protestants on this matter? Many of you have been through this with your kids - what did you do?

Thanks for your answers!

301776[/snapback]

Certainly. It's a right thing to do, because like any facility, a church has to be heated or cooled for the occassion, as the case may be, folks show up (ie the Pastor and others), etc. It's not payment for a service at all - just a realization that expenses are generated that need to be addressed.

I offer my humble blessing upon your children, and am gladdened to hear of your welcoming them to our Lord's love.

In the church I attend (Presbyterian) christenings are done during a standard worship service. Part of the Christening is for the congregation at large to accept responsibility for helping with the spiritual growth of the child. So I didn't think to pay above my standard offering, but at the same time I had family members attend who wouldn't normally attend a service at that church, so the church did benefit by whatever they gave.

Of course, if you're not a member of the church, then I would think an honorarium is in order...

And you can get that down to a roll of pennies by skipping the filter...?

CW

301815[/snapback]

You have them bring in the hose through the backdoor of the parish and have one of your relatives manning the spicket, waiting for the preacher to yell "NOW!"

Thanks for all the responses!

Good question, aussie - the baptism will be a part of a normal church service.

It looks like the right thing to do is to indeed offer a donation for services performed - I don't think the church would turn away any funds.

It's funny - there are all sorts of places (websites, books, etc.) that tell you what is expected when you get married but I wasn't able to find anything on baptisms.

Again - thanks for helping me out!

It looks like the right thing to do is to indeed offer a donation for services performed - I don't think the church would turn away any funds.

It's funny - there are all sorts of places (websites, books, etc.) that tell you what is expected when you get married but I wasn't able to find anything on baptisms.

301946[/snapback]

good luck on your baptismal. looks like you got some planning to do, and given your avatar I wouldn't wanna be on your bad side the day it goes down :P

Thanks for your answers!

301776[/snapback]

First of all, I'm assuming the more correct term in the Lutheran Church is baptism, as it is in the United Methodist Church. I can't speak for your pastor, but in 25 years I have received honoraria for performing a baptism only about 3 times. If you are not regular attenders the pastor might consider it appropriate. I am always thrilled to do a baptism, and actually feel a bit funny accepting an honorarium for doing it. Unlike a wedding, which in the Protestant tradition is not a sacrament, I really feel like I represent the whole church in officiating a baptism, and therefore should not be compensated for doing a service. I am far more concerned WITH PARENTS RAISING THEIR CHILDREN TO KNOW THAT GOD LOVES THEM, THAT WE LEARN ABOUT GOD IN THE BIBLE, AND THAT CHRISTIANS SHOULD ATTEND CHURCH, than receiving anything for doing the baptism.

301946[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity...and I don't ask this as a wiseass but rather as a non-churchgoing father of a 4-month old son: what exactly is the purpose of the baptism/christening?

F I am far more concerned WITH PARENTS RAISING THEIR CHILDREN TO KNOW THAT GOD LOVES THEM, THAT WE LEARN ABOUT GOD IN THE BIBLE, AND THAT CHRISTIANS SHOULD ATTEND CHURCH, than receiving anything for doing the baptism.

301987[/snapback]

Raising children to learn the wonderment of God is a a correct thing, but more important is that attending any church, synagogue, mosque etc. does not imply salvation; it is personal actions that do so. It is God and thee. I'm not sure if God gives a packet of pins whether you believe in him or not, only that you follow His laws and love your fellow man as He does.