Restaurant reviews and high prices

16 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Was at the Miami game. So I missed the blather.

They talked about it A LOT on the broadcast, for some reason. 

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A good cut of meat is best cooked in a microwave.  Everybody knows that.

If you are looking for a five star experience.......you need to start with a Pinto. The right tool for the job is always critical. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

They talked about it A LOT on the broadcast, for some reason. 

Been there more times than I care to say. It's barely noteworthy Italian food.

Its seems status to blow off one went there. I think due to where it's at.

I'll take Chefs, + 3/4 more Italian restaurants locally, any day over that hovel.

Edited by I am the egg man

I fairly regularly eat at nice restaurants with no special occasion. It’s probably about once a week on average. I’m a single guy though and live in one of the world’s great food cities. It’s sort of a hobby for me. I have a good friend that is a total foodie and wino. She and I will go to different places pretty often and just have a nice night out. The meals range from mind-blowing to disappointing and everywhere in between. It gives me something to look forward to. 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I fairly regularly eat at nice restaurants with no special occasion. It’s probably about once a week on average. I’m a single guy though and live in one of the world’s great food cities. It’s sort of a hobby for me. I have a good friend that is a total foodie and wino. She and I will go to different places pretty often and just have a nice night out. The meals range from mind-blowing to disappointing and everywhere in between. It gives me something to look forward to. 

I cook at night, but go to fairly nice places for lunch almost every day. Lunch is usually cheaper (except at some popular business places where it’s a corporate card and just as expensive as dinner - because they can). Atlanta has a pretty wide variety of options, obviously. I like to explore, and I also have my favorite joints where they bring out my Arnold Palmer when I walk in and ask “the usual?”  

Being “retired” with a wife who is usually out of town for work, it really does give me something to look forward to. I usually go play tennis or walk at the park first, then have lunch at 2-3:00pm. I take a good book with me, and I drag it out. I enjoy the food and the book (currently reading Grisham’s newest) and it’s a real pleasure in my day. I go straight from lunch to the grocery store for dinner. Everyone has some kind of routine. That’s mine. ( @plenzmd1 may try to share his routine with you, but it may be best to just look away.) 

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Have you been to Bywater yet?  

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have!! It came highly recommended from a couple of close friends. The gazpacho was fantastic. 

Gazpacho is highly underrepresented in restaurants IMO. Great summer soup! I have a recipe I really like and enjoy trying various versions when I go out. 

A couple months ago I took my mom to lunch and we both decided on the “Green Goddess Gazpacho” and a half of a sandwich. The waitress made a little face and asked if we’d like a taste of the gazpacho before deciding. My mother wanted gazpacho and wanted to charge ahead. I picked up on the servers vibe and asked for a taste. Before it ever got in my mouth, the pure green soup turned me off. Then we tried it we made simultaneous bitter beer faces. We changed our orders and she got a great big tip! Love that restaurant, but they should make my gazpacho! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

She’s an amazing chef. We loved it there. 

Compere Lapin is great too. I read an interview or watched an interview (can’t remember which) not too long ago with Nina Compton. She was discussing some of her favorite places to eat in New Orleans and it was so interesting. There were some places that you’d expect but there were also some smaller underrated places that I didn’t even know about. 

As a side story that has nothing to do with anything, I flew out of the new airport in New Orleans today. It opened yesterday. There is “Folse Market” which is basically a whole food court inspired by John Folse. He was there cooking today. I had just eaten but as soon as I saw him, felt like I had to get something. Sadly, my plane was about to board and missed my chance to have a meal cooked by John Folse.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/6/2019 at 12:29 PM, teef said:

some of the bigger steak houses have just become too absurd. we have a morton's in downtown rochester and i just can't come to terms with the cost. we will go out for "regular" meals at expensive places, but that's our going out.  on top of that, instead of gifts for holidays/birthdays, we get gift cards to restaurants we like, making it way more affordable.   i never mind spending money on a meal, but morton's is gross.  to get an 8 0z filet, i think it was $55.  if you want a sauce, it's another $7 or $8.  if i remember correctly, i think my starter salad was $18.  for rochester, that's nuts.  it's not nyc or boston where we're paying for the overhead.  the food is good, but certainly no better than any of the local, privately owned steak houses.  

i'm good with pricey dinners, but there's a limit.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, Jauronimo said:

Go to Tournedos at the Inn on Broadway instead.  

Lived in Rochester area (Irondequoit) my whole life, never heard of either, looked them up on line. What was funny was that the Tournedos menu gave the prices, Morton's menu just showed the calories.