Rate the '19 Draft Picks at Mid Season Based on Draft Position Value

Locomark

Round 1 • Pick 9 (9) • DT Ed Oliver       B-      for the hype on this guy he just hasn't made that big of an impact, high ceiling just hasn't shown itself with many plays in the backfield to rate him highly yet. Next year will be the telltale sign if he can be Elite. He probably comes in stronger and more understanding of what it will take. 

Round 2 • Pick 6 (38) • T Cody Ford      C+    position flexibility is a positive but he has been underwhelming IMO considering we traded up to get him. He didn't solve out RT problem, which we will have to address in 2020. He has yet to make me feel like he is anything but an average pro guard. Our running game statistically has been much more successful going left than right so he hasn't been a consistent force in the run game either. I think we may be two years away from seeing what we really have with him. 

Round 3 • Pick 11 (74) • RB Devin Singletary    A-    value pick only hampered by his hammy. looks like he could be the real deal if he can show some durability and continue to show he can pass protect as well

Round 3 • Pick 33 (96) • TE Dawson Knox     B-    Better than expected blocking and makes some splash plays but still making some rookie mistakes. Future looks bright for the kid. His B- would be a higher value for me if we didn't spend capital to trade to go get him

Round 5 • Pick 9 (147) • LB Vosean Joseph      Ungraded due to injury

Round 6 • Pick 8 (181) • S Jaquan Johnson       I didn't grade the kid. I know he has made a few special teams tackles but I didn't feel I could fairly judge his contributions based on a few games of teams.  Would be nice to have a nasty hitter at the safety or big nickel spots in years to come.

Round 7 • Pick 11 (225) • DE Darryl Johnson     B-     Shown some quickness that Jerry doesn't seem to have anymore. He's a raw reach, but for a 7th rounder to even see any field with 3 established Vets + Zo out there is a surprise at all.  

Round 7 • Pick 14 (228) • TE Tommy Sweeney    C    Just about what I expected for a 7th rounder. He made the non practice squad roster solely based on injury and has the potential to unseat Lee Smith in 2020. However its just as likely he isn't on the roster next year based on the drops he had when given the chance.

Overall, Our top end of the draft has yet to make the early impact I had hoped for.  If we want to take the next step and become a contending team, we always need our top 2 picks to be top notch players in the Tre White level category. 

What say you?   
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Agree 100% but always wondered what's the difference between an A- & B+ ?

An A+ is a guy who is going to be a perennial All Pro, an A- is a guy that is better than average but could be an All Pro once In a awhile. A B+ to me is a guy that is above average but not an All Pro ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

this is a "fun" exercise with many still unknowns   I would like to see something like this for the drafts in 15,16,17  that would be a good measure.  

I am a little disappointed in Ford, thought he would have been a plug in play player from day 1....jury still out.

I cant critique the bills on bad drafts If you looked at my fantasy team...………..ugh

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

An A+ is a guy who is going to be a perennial All Pro, an A- is a guy that is better than average but could be an All Pro once In a awhile. A B+ to me is a guy that is above average but not an All Pro ever. 

Ever is a strong word.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ever is a strong word.

My ratings were based on draft position and where they look compared to that position after 8 games. I truly wasn’t projecting their full career out!   The rating system is arbitrary, just like a scout’s would be.

50 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I'm a lot more pessimistic about this draft class now than I was in April.  Usually great players are very good players as rookies.  At this point I think that Oliver's and Ford's upside might cap as serviceable pros.  I hope I"m wrong.  

I am siding with you on that though. Pessimistic but hoping it’s too early to tell. Great point that great players usually show it as rookies. That seems to ring true when you look around the league. WR may seem to be the only positional exceptional where it’s often year 2 or 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I am siding with you on that though. Pessimistic but hoping it’s too early to tell. Great point that great players usually show it as rookies. That seems to ring true when you look around the league. WR may seem to be the only positional exceptional where it’s often year 2 or 3. 

It offen takes offensive linemen and DTs 2 years to develop. DTs generally start flashing at the end of their rookie year. My take is Oliver hasn’t been bad, but every smaller DT not named Aaron Donald has taken 2-3 years to develop.... That includes Geno Atkins and John Randle. They need to master hand fighting technique. 

Ford is a little more concerning, but he seems to be slowly improving. He’ll probably improve after an off-season in an NFL conditioning program. 19 bench reps at 6’ 3” is reason to believe he’s a bit behind in upper body strength which may contribute to technique issues. Plus, whether he’s truly a guard or a tackle remains to be seen. If he ends up being a damn good guard I’ll be happy with the pick.