Kelly the Dog-- TBN Article

Casey D

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks Casey. He’s referring to my weekly fan column in the BuffNews. 

Will the Bills weather the storm or get blown away?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/29/buffalo-bills-philadelphia-eagles-fans-bills-mafia/

Good writing!

Yep!   "Sunday, the team had no answers for the Eagles' high-flying offense, through the air or on the groundwhich raises numerous flags. They were clearly out-coached.  

The defense made Miles Sanders resemble Barry. Tackling has become a problem. Individually and collectively, the defense often makes the hit near the line, loosely wraps up, and is then carried an extra three or four yards by opposing runners or receivers.  "

Eh... "It is impossible for fans to evaluate an offensive coordinators play-calling because we never know the original call, and what responsibilities each player has. But we fans often do the impossible, so we appraise and often badmouth them anyway.  And get this, we think plays that Brian Daboll calls that work are excellent and ones that do not are moronic."

I mean, the same caveat about not knowing the responsibilities of the defensive players does apply to the first; and the fans *can* make reasoned judgements about the sequence of play calls (even if they are options checked into at the line) and how effective/ineffective they seem given the conditions etc.  You seem to acknowledge as much:

"That said, it is hard to reconcile that Frank Gore and Josh Allen each had seven carries at halftime, and often-spectacular Devin Singletary had zip. A few of Allen’s were scrambles, but at least three were designated runs. They must find a way to get Tasmanian Devin the ball in space. The first time he scored from 28 yards out. Later, some ill-advised, badly timed and poorly executed screen and swing passes failed badly. "

And that's not mentioning the pass-pass-pass-pass right after 2 runs worked late in the game

Anyway, good write up

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good writing!

Yep!   "Sunday, the team had no answers for the Eagles' high-flying offense, through the air or on the groundwhich raises numerous flags. They were clearly out-coached.  

The defense made Miles Sanders resemble Barry. Tackling has become a problem. Individually and collectively, the defense often makes the hit near the line, loosely wraps up, and is then carried an extra three or four yards by opposing runners or receivers.  "

Eh... "It is impossible for fans to evaluate an offensive coordinators play-calling because we never know the original call, and what responsibilities each player has. But we fans often do the impossible, so we appraise and often badmouth them anyway.  And get this, we think plays that Brian Daboll calls that work are excellent and ones that do not are moronic."

I mean, the same caveat about not knowing the responsibilities of the defensive players does apply to the first; and the fans *can* make reasoned judgements about the sequence of play calls (even if they are options checked into at the line) and how effective/ineffective they seem given the conditions etc.  You seem to acknowledge as much:

"That said, it is hard to reconcile that Frank Gore and Josh Allen each had seven carries at halftime, and often-spectacular Devin Singletary had zip. A few of Allen’s were scrambles, but at least three were designated runs. They must find a way to get Tasmanian Devin the ball in space. The first time he scored from 28 yards out. Later, some ill-advised, badly timed and poorly executed screen and swing passes failed badly. "

And that's not mentioning the pass-pass-pass-pass right after 2 runs worked late in the game

Anyway, good write up

Thanks, Hap. Yeah, I tried to say it's impossible to know for sure about the playcalls but there is still room for obvious criticism when warranted.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I should go back and look to see if he was pulling to draft Rosen. ?

I was. And was apparently wrong. Although most of it was because I thought Mayfair was pretty good (not really good) but would be gone, Darnold was a turnover machine, and hadn’t really watched Allen. Plus I figured if we drafted Rosen I could buy a jersey and when he sucked after three years or didn’t want to re-sign with us the jersey would not be in the trash heap like so many others. 

I did also float the idea of drafting Lamar Jackson at 12 and keeping the extra 1 for another player. 

I also didn’t like Rosen at all after his second last year but liked him a lot in his last UCLA year, so it wasn’t the name. 

And the Greatest Jewish Sports Heroes pamphlet isn’t very long. 

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was. And was apparently wrong. Although most of it was because I thought Mayfair was pretty good (not really good) but would be gone, Darnold was a turnover machine, and hadn’t really watched Allen. Plus I figured if we drafted Rosen I could buy a jersey and when he sucked after three years or didn’t want to re-sign with us the jersey would not be in the trash heap like so many others. 

I did also float the idea of drafting Lamar Jackson at 12 and keeping the extra 1 for another player. 

I also didn’t like Rosen at all after his second last year but liked him a lot in his last UCLA year, so it wasn’t the name. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There's always Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax

24 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Thanks Pete.  Keep up the good work.  Yes, the Bills must tackle better and significantly cut down on penalties.  With respect to the latter, it's almost as if Rex0 put a curse on this team and we can't shake it.

Thx. It’s been strange to me that McDermott who is such a stickler for doing things right and preparations and fundamentals, and since he’s been here we have been very poor in pre-snap penalties and mistakes.