"Homeless" Opera Singer

Chef Jim

I didn't see any mention of this topic here.  I assume many of you have heard about his seeing it's all over the news.  I'm pretty sure this is a publicity stunt.  First she doesn't look homeless.  I've lived in CA a long time and I know a homeless person when I see one and she ain't it.  Second if you look at the bags she's carrying they look brand new and the plastic one appears to have the holes in it freshly torn to make it look old.  Seriously? Are people this gullible.  Rhetorical question......

https://people.com/human-interest/homeless-opera-singer-subway-los-angeles-identified/

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I didn't see any mention of this topic here.  I assume many of you have heard about his seeing it's all over the news.  I'm pretty sure this is a publicity stunt.  First she doesn't look homeless.  I've lived in CA a long time and I know a homeless person when I see one and she ain't it.  Second if you look at the bags she's carrying they look brand new and the plastic one appears to have the holes in it freshly torn to make it look old.  Seriously? Are people this gullible.  Rhetorical question......

https://people.com/human-interest/homeless-opera-singer-subway-los-angeles-identified/

Yeah, I was highly doubtful when I saw the picture/headline yesterday.

Fake news....

• Like (+1) 2

Reminds me of the time a cop bought a pair of boots for the barefoot "homeless" guy in NYC in the middle of winter several years ago (someone took a picture and the media went nuts).   Turns out the guy had an apartment --- and several pairs of shoes.  He was hanging out on the street corner with no shoes to increase his take from pan-handling.

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

you think the ripped clean looking bags are a giveaway?  

she did a quick  look to the right ....  looking for cops to chase her away?    

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

you think the ripped clean looking bags are a giveaway?  

she did a quick  look to the right ....  looking for cops to chase her away?    

I’m not sure of your point. Actually I’m pretty sure is was recorded by a cop. 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

To me it looked like she made a quick glance to her right as if she saw someone in that direction.  

I assumed poorly that she would want to avoid cops.  

Keep in mind I haven't really watched the video too closely.  I've heard her sing.   For me I realized it was likely fake when I looked at the picture.  What's under the blanket on your cart deary?  Ohhhhh nothing??  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

A bit too clean all around. 

There are many levels of "homeless". I've met people who were "temporarily homeless", living in their car, couch surfing with friends when possible, "camping" when possible, showering/washing at a public bathroom, etc. It is quite possible to not be dirty/drugged out looking/whatever and still be homeless.

With that said, I'm making no guess as to if this is real or fake. Seemed fake to me, at first. But it was filmed by an police officer and posted by the department. If you read the Twitter comments, folks say they know this woman, and it is not fake. But they could be lying, too. 

One final thought, it is LA and LA is a "company town", with the entertainment industry as "the company". So that throws more variables into the equation.

How do yo know I haven't already?

Oh, wait am I in the right thread?

I'm guessing that the new holes in the new plastic bag are for her pet gerbil.

The empty chlorine bucket is where she stores her meds.

The pretty canvas bag is for other toys.

The wheeled basket: Plastic sheets and goose down comforter. 

Edited by BUFFALOKIE