*2023 UB Football Thread*

Buffalo716

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

These week night games have done a lot to promote the MAC and the Bulls. The Bulls are an entertaining team to watch because their offense makes a lot of plays both running and passing. The best thing that has happened to the program is the hiring of Leopold. He knows how to build programs and then how to maintain them. Hopefully, he won't be enticed any time soon by a struggling former big time program like Nebraska. 

Yeah I worry about that. UB is a stepping stone program for football and basketball. Hopefully he has good assistants ready to elevate.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah I worry about that. UB is a stepping stone program for football and basketball. Hopefully he has good assistants ready to elevate.

Some people have no desire to have more pressure put on them at a struggling School

He stayed at division 3 School for years

I think he's at home in Buffalo for a while

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2020 at 2:34 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

It is a stepping stone program but it needs to be the right fit.  Look back at Turner Gill, promising young coach, took the job at Kansas.  Horrible move for him although his bank account may disagree with me.  

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

It is a stepping stone program but it needs to be the right fit.  Look back at Turner Gill, promising young coach, took the job at Kansas.  Horrible move for him although his bank account may disagree with me.  

Can't hate Turner too much. He got UB to the promised land when it was considered impossible, and everything that happened since was built on his success. But he also didn't believe what he preached. He got out as soon as he saw dollar signs. Neither Kansas or Liberty worked out too well but he's set for life if he's a man of modest means. But I've come to terms with it after Nate Oats skipped town. UB Athletics have never been as good as they are now. So we may lose talent, but we also get good talent to step in.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Thanks 716. Please look at my post in possible Milano replacement thread and give your input.

Sorry I didn't see it.  Just tag my name in The Post, and I always get back in time

I've seen him, but I really haven't watched enough Missouri, or him to make a solid opinion yet

Give me a few weeks

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can't hate Turner too much. He got UB to the promised land when it was considered impossible, and everything that happened since was built on his success. But he also didn't believe what he preached. He got out as soon as he saw dollar signs. Neither Kansas or Liberty worked out too well but he's set for life if he's a man of modest means. But I've come to terms with it after Nate Oats skipped town. UB Athletics have never been as good as they are now. So we may lose talent, but we also get good talent to step in.

I don't hate TG at all.  Can't blame him for going for the dollars.  Nate Oats is another one.  I mean, he got paid, but Alabama is a tough place to win when it comes to basketball.  So is Bobby Hurley, another tough place to win at ASU.  Always taking a back seat to Arizona, unrealistic expectations.  I guess you have to strike when the iron is hot though so can't blame them for leaving, especially when these other schools are tripling their salaries.  

24 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I don't hate TG at all.  Can't blame him for going for the dollars.  Nate Oats is another one.  I mean, he got paid, but Alabama is a tough place to win when it comes to basketball.  So is Bobby Hurley, another tough place to win at ASU.  Always taking a back seat to Arizona, unrealistic expectations.  I guess you have to strike when the iron is hot though so can't blame them for leaving, especially when these other schools are tripling their salaries.  

I suppose that's true, but there's also something to be said for taking the right job. I mean Michigan opened up right after Nate went to Alabama. If he wasn't in such a hurry he might have gotten that dream job in his home state. If you know you're good, why jump at the first offer?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I suppose that's true, but there's also something to be said for taking the right job. I mean Michigan opened up right after Nate went to Alabama. If he wasn't in such a hurry he might have gotten that dream job in his home state. If you know you're good, why jump at the first offer?

Totally agree & Oats I think was a pretty hot commodity after what he did with UB 2 straight tournaments.  Hurly & Gill, not sure they had that kind of leverage.  I have talked to a few people within the program at UB and they said they knew all along the first good offer that came by Hurley's way he was leaving.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Alabama basketball has been recruiting five star talent the last few years

Top 10-15 recruiting classes. Even right before oats got there

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It does pay to be seen as a program where coaches and players succeed.  A reputation can be a powerful thing all on its own.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.