Is there anything you own you really like that’s not made anymore?

Another Fan

On 8/11/2019 at 7:59 PM, Augie said:

I miss those Old Vienna splits! Couldn’t find them anywhere the last few trips up. 

First of all, let me say that, with apologies to Willie and Julio, "of all the things I've loved before..." OV splits might top the list. They've been MIA for many years now. There was one quick reprieve (around 2002 or 2003 perhaps?) when they supposedly "discovered" a stash of unused bottles and did one more release. I may be off on the date by as many as 10 years, so take that with a grain of salt.  Funny thing is, I don't like OV in any other format. But the splits? Freaking heaven.

"Hey Dino, want another beer?"  

"No way I can drink another beer."

"A split?"

"Sure, I'll take a split."

And then proceed to drink MANY more splits. Cold til the last sip.

I'm the kiss of death when it comes to having products I like be discontinued/stopped being carried locally/etc. I basically assume if I find something new I like, it won't be around a year or two down the road.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

First of all, let me say that, with apologies to Willie and Julio, "of all the things I've loved before..." OV splits might top the list. They've been MIA for many years now. There was one quick reprieve (around 2002 or 2003 perhaps?) when they supposedly "discovered" a stash of unused bottles and did one more release. I may be off on the date by as many as 10 years, so take that with a grain of salt.  Funny thing is, I don't like OV in any other format. But the splits? Freaking heaven.

"Hey Dino, want another beer?"  

"No way I can drink another beer."

"A split?"

"Sure, I'll take a split."

And then proceed to drink MANY more splits. Cold til the last sip.

I'm the kiss of death when it comes to having products I like be discontinued/stopped being carried locally/etc. I basically assume if I find something new I like, it won't be around a year or two down the road.

In my high school/early college days my parents had a big 5 BR house with a pool table in the basement. They traveled A LOT for work, so I often had the place to myself. A teenager with fridge in the basement full of OV Splits, a pool table and a bunch of friends. It worked! 

They were gone one weekend and I had a keg party planned. BIG party. At the last minute my mother calls. The parents of my parents best friends will be in town, and staying in one of our extra bedrooms. HUH? NOW is not a good time to tell me Nana and Pudda are coming for the weekend! 

I tried to downscale the party, but.....teenagers. ‘Nuff said. I’m super nervous, but before too long Pudda is shouting over the music and the crowd “DON’T YOU HAVE ANY JACK DANIELS AROUND HERE?”.  He was a helluva pool player, too! That just might have been the best weekend of his life! 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

In my high school/early college days my parents had a big 5 BR house with a pool table in the basement. They traveled A LOT for work, so I often had the place to myself. A teenager with fridge in the basement full of OV Splits, a pool table and a bunch of friends. It worked! 

They were gone one weekend and I had a keg party planned. BIG party. At the last minute my mother calls. The parents of my parents best friends will be in town, and staying in one of our extra bedrooms. HUH? NOW is not a good time to tell me Nana and Pudda are coming for the weekend! 

I tried to downscale the party, but.....teenagers. ‘Nuff said. I’m super nervous, but before too long Pudda is shouting over the music and the crowd “DON’T YOU HAVE ANY JACK DANIELS AROUND HERE?”.  He was a helluva pool player, too! That just might have been the best weekend of his life! 

Awesome! How was Nana's weekend? ?

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don’t FWord call me out.

Sorry.  You've got more "S" word than a barnyard.  I'll see you at the Ralph and you can FWord do something about it, Bruce Lee.

14 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Awesome! How was Nana's weekend? ?

She was a HOOT! They were a pair matched in heaven. But she couldn’t shoot pool quite like he could. Bold enough to try, though. Maybe she was just too drunk? He schooled some of my teenage friends, and I had a legit excuse for why my dad’s Jack Daniels was gone! Hey, I didn’t invite them! (But I’m glad they came! I hope I’m that fun when I get to that age!) 

Those were different days, for sure. I had one of my high school buddies over one night for beer and billiards. The next day I left the neighborhood and a newly planted 15 foot tree was knocked over. The next time I saw Steve, his front bumper was crushed, and his dashboard was help in place by rope. It stayed that way as long as I knew him. ?

Before we could drive, I remember my GF’s dad coming with a buddy to pick a bunch of us up from the movies. They each had a roadie, and it was like bobsledding home sliding off the snow banks on both sides of the road. Different times.....

Edited by Augie