Mass shooting at El Paso Walmart/and also Dayton OH

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You forgot jumping Asian carp:

[NSFGTW...

(NotSafeForGugnyTriggeringWarning) @Gugny : Please go to your room and don't watch]

That's not fishing; nor is it hunting.  It's killing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And when someone slips through that set of rules and shoots something up? What then?

What's the response time for your home?

Quick enough that an armed intruder would be stopped before you or your kid endured bodily harm or worse?

and what about when you accidentally shoot your kid because they got up in the middle of the night for a glass of water, what then Joe?

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Except of semi-automatic weapons. That's ok to fear.

I never said I was afraid of semi-automatic weapons (or anything, for that matter).  I simply opined that there is no practical need for them outside of military and/or police use.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

and what about when you accidentally shoot your kid because they got up in the middle of the night for a glass of water what then Joe?

Then I'd be liable for my own kid's death.

What's your point? We shouldn't defend our own homes? Trust the cops, the same cops that half the anti-gunners think are corrupt and racist for our own protection?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I never said I was afraid of semi-automatic weapons (or anything, for that matter).  I simply opined that there is no practical need for them outside of military and/or police use.

A 9mm pistol is an excellent tool for home defense. So is a shotgun. So is a semiautomatic rifle. Why should a law-abiding citizen have to choose from a restricted list?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Then I'd be liable for my own kid's death.

What's your point? We shouldn't defend our own homes? Trust the cops, the same cops that half the anti-gunners think are corrupt and racist for our own protection?

Your right it's almost as if I made a completely ridiculous statement to manipulate people's emotions.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Your right it's almost as if I made a completely ridiculous statement to manipulate people's emotions.

That IS the entire crux of this conversation, congratulations. Pro-gun control hysteria after every mass shooting is just that.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A 9mm pistol is an excellent tool for home defense. So is a shotgun. So is a semiautomatic rifle. Why should a law-abiding citizen have to choose from a restricted list?

Because that's part of life.  Lines are drawn all the time.  There's a reason we can't legally possess things like tanks, grenades and missile launchers.  What's the reason?  Well - one of them is that there's no practical need for a civilian to have one.

My opinion is that the same goes for semi-automatic weapons.

Most mass shooters in the U.S. have also been law abiding citizens until they used legally obtained semi-automatic weapons to murder multiple people.

Edited by Gugny

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That IS the entire crux of this conversation, congratulations. Pro-gun control hysteria after every mass shooting is just that.

Yeah the only difference I suppose is that I made up my story on the fly and the others have been emotional responses to an event that just happened but you know completely the same.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So, who gets to draw the lines?

Elected representatives.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

So, who gets to draw the lines?

You should.  Because your invested in this as a gun right's person.  You should be able to see when what you love is causing harm to other people.

It's NOT about you.  It's about you making hard choices for the benefit of others.

Sorry to give you "the speech."

What makes you anything but a gun right's NIMBY or an "I got mine" type?

You be the parent, you make hard, selfless choice.  Your special interest shouldn't be blinding you.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You be the parent, you make hard, selfless choice. 

The hard choice is always the preservation of liberty. You think it's fun taking this stance in times like this?

Would you be shocked to know I don't currently own a weapon?

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Elected representatives.

Unless of course, they're pro-gun rights, right?

• Like (+1) 1

The hard choice is always the preservation of liberty. You think it's fun taking this stance in times like this?

What's your take on shutting down 8chan?  Or at least moderating it?

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well, since there seems to be shootings just about every single week, does that still count as hysteria?  I’m no vocabulary wiz, but to me hysteria implies an acute reaction to a rare or unusual event.  What does hysteria become when it is almost ongoing?  Serious question.

I carry a 9mm concealed here in Vermont just about at all times, BTW, but I will admit that I am for some forms of gun control.  

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Well, since there seems to be shootings just about every single week, does that still count as hysteria?

I think any emotion-driven response is hysterical (in the classical sense).

How do you feel about someone thinking it'd be OK to confiscate your 9mm, because it's "unnecessary?"

I think any emotion-driven response is hysterical (in the classical sense).

How do you feel about someone thinking it'd be OK to confiscate your 9mm, because it's "unnecessary?"

That’s a stretch and you know it.  I am a responsible gun owner.  I have never been convicted of a crime...certainly not a felony.  A 9mm pistol is entirely different than an AR-15 and you know it.

Edit: And I’d be happy if some violent felon with a history of significant mental health issues was denied their 9mm.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No they should represent their constituents to the best of their abilities. Even if I'm in the minority(not sure I am on this one) I believe elected representatives should be the ones to decide on regulations because I know of no better system to do so, do you?

Edited by Warcodered