Gronk must be staying retired...seems to have lost all muscle

1 minute ago, colin said:

i'm 42 and about the same size as gronk was while playing (about 6'4", a smidge under 260, perhaps 15% body fat so i'm not quite as lean as he was).  over the past 6 years on two separate occasions i've torn each biceps.  while barely moving and feeling sorry for myself while recovering i ate a bit less and lost like maybe 15 pounds over about 3 months.  i came back pretty quickly and in clothes most people couldn't tell i stopped lifting or got injured at all aside from the elbow brace i was in.

there is no way on God's green earth that these guys are just force feeding themselves and lifting to have that kind of mass, only to lose it SO QUICKLY after stopping.  dieting and not lifting at all for a few months would have me lose a bit of mass, but i'd still look like i lift.  Gronk looks like a guy who has never lifted, and he was a top flight pro football player one friggen year ago.  all of his mass was built with the assistance of PEDs (and i have no problem with that, what kind of pro football player wouldn't use steroids?).

Hines ward cut down and did triathalons, and a few years after retiring you could still tell he had some solid muscle mass.  gronk's transformation is nuts! 

....don't really know the answer.....look at the Joe Thomas transformation.......pretty similar to Gronk.........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't really know the answer.....look at the Joe Thomas transformation.......pretty similar to Gronk.........

nah, he's jacked and looks great.  he's over 240 pounds and lean.  he was obviously bigger and stronger before, but he went from a sloppy gut to being svelt.  JT has some natty size at the least.

2 minutes ago, colin said:

nah, he's jacked and looks great.  he's over 240 pounds and lean.  he was obviously bigger and stronger before, but he went from a sloppy gut to being svelt.  JT has some natty size at the least.

Former Browns lineman Joe Thomas has gotten ripped since retiring from the NFL

Thomas has undergone an incredible transformation since calling it quits

by Pete Blackburn           CBS SPORTS                     

It's only been a few years since Joe Thomas retired from the NFL, but you may not even recognize the former Cleveland Browns offensive lineman these days. 

That's because Thomas has undergone an incredible body transformation since hanging up his cleats, going from hefty to hunky rather quickly. After retiring at 312 pounds, Thomas appears to weigh ... much less than that now. Just take a look at the photo he shared over the weekend.

Last year, Thomas revealed that he'd lost over 50 pounds since calling it quits, mainly by not eating like a professional offensive lineman

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-browns-lineman-joe-thomas-has-gotten-ripped-since-retiring-from-the-nfl/

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Former Browns lineman Joe Thomas has gotten ripped since retiring from the NFL

Thomas has undergone an incredible transformation since calling it quits

by Pete Blackburn           CBS SPORTS                     

It's only been a few years since Joe Thomas retired from the NFL, but you may not even recognize the former Cleveland Browns offensive lineman these days. 

That's because Thomas has undergone an incredible body transformation since hanging up his cleats, going from hefty to hunky rather quickly. After retiring at 312 pounds, Thomas appears to weigh ... much less than that now. Just take a look at the photo he shared over the weekend.

Last year, Thomas revealed that he'd lost over 50 pounds since calling it quits, mainly by not eating like a professional offensive lineman

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-browns-lineman-joe-thomas-has-gotten-ripped-since-retiring-from-the-nfl/

exactly my point.  he cut the over eating and still looks like a hoss, but lean.  that speaks to more natty mass, and less complete reliance on the sauce.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2019 at 1:12 AM, matter2003 said:

Gronk is almost unrecognizable...he has slimmed down a lot and looks like he has really lost all his muscle...in just 4 months that seems nearly impossible...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rob-gronkowski-weight-loss-seals-it-hes-retired-204921013.html

Depends on hard one restricts the calories. Hes probably coming off peds so his nuts are raisins now making his estrogen levels higher.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:43 AM, colin said:

i'm 42 and about the same size as gronk was while playing (about 6'4", a smidge under 260, perhaps 15% body fat so i'm not quite as lean as he was).  over the past 6 years on two separate occasions i've torn each biceps.  while barely moving and feeling sorry for myself while recovering i ate a bit less and lost like maybe 15 pounds over about 3 months.  i came back pretty quickly and in clothes most people couldn't tell i stopped lifting or got injured at all aside from the elbow brace i was in.

there is no way on God's green earth that these guys are just force feeding themselves and lifting to have that kind of mass, only to lose it SO QUICKLY after stopping.  dieting and not lifting at all for a few months would have me lose a bit of mass, but i'd still look like i lift.  Gronk looks like a guy who has never lifted, and he was a top flight pro football player one friggen year ago.  all of his mass was built with the assistance of PEDs (and i have no problem with that, what kind of pro football player wouldn't use steroids?).

Hines ward cut down and did triathalons, and a few years after retiring you could still tell he had some solid muscle mass.  gronk's transformation is nuts! 

you are a mere peon civilian, you have no idea what pro teams with multi-millions invested in a body (and the insurance) resorts to for peak performance

some are born with the most amazing physical attributes and metabolisms, maybe you knew a few growing up who made it to pro sports

us mere mortals have no point of comparison

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you are a mere peon civilian, you have no idea what pro teams with multi-millions invested in a body (and the insurance) resorts to for peak performance

some are born with the most amazing physical attributes and metabolisms, maybe you knew a few growing up who made it to pro sports

us mere mortals have no point of comparison

....LMAO...I'm the poster child.....just bought a 'Vette and need MAJOR butt reduction surgery.......couldn't get my arse out with a shoe horn so I called 911 for help.....

On 7/3/2019 at 7:36 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...putting PED issue aside for a moment, I don't know what an NFL'er has for daily diet intake......look at some of these world class weight lifters...read where they must maintain a daily intake of 12,000+ calories......retire and drop down to 2,000 daily would cause some rapid changes IMO.......

That is quite a drastic drop in calories and lifestyle. How does someone consume 12K in calories. No wonder some of these players suffer later in life. The body can only take so much.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....LMAO...I'm the poster child.....just bought a 'Vette and need MAJOR butt reduction surgery.......couldn't get my arse out with a shoe horn so I called 911 for help.....

i used to scoff at high ankle sprains taking out pros for a long stretch of time

then i got one (and a small fracture) a few months ago, and son of a gun this is not much fun, the sprain is far worse than the small fracture in healing

16 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

That is quite a drastic drop in calories and lifestyle. How does someone consume 12K in calories. No wonder some of these players suffer later in life. The body can only take so much.

the menus of NFL training camps are available if you wish to read them, i worked a few summers with Natural Resources and the lumberjacks would put away more daily than most men in a week and burn it off in the work day

if you are huge and your knees and ankles can't support you in exercise, you are in trouble

---------------------------------

goodness knows what labs have developed for pro clients to get over nagging injuries or put on 40 pounds of mass, we only hear about it when they are arrested

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i used to scoff at high ankle sprains taking out pros for a long stretch of time

then i got one (and a small fracture) a few months ago, and son of a gun this is not much fun, the sprain is far worse than the small fracture in healing

the menus of NFL training camps are available if you wish to read them, i worked a few summers with Natural Resources and the lumberjacks would put away more daily than most men in a week and burn it off in the work day

if you are huge and your knees and ankles can't support you in exercise, you are in trouble

Wow...I suppose it goes with the job. Living in the current life moment. We tend to forget the future.

53 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Wow...I suppose it goes with the job. Living in the current life moment. We tend to forget the future.

the risks and rewards of pro sports are huge

lots of them had no other reasonable choice in life

i watch games and cheer so I'm complicit in the good and bad of it all....

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the risks and rewards of pro sports are huge

lots of them had no other reasonable choice in life

i watch games and cheer so I'm complicit in the good and bad of it all....

You are right...I get it. The pressure to succeed and capitalize on their talents while they are young. I suppose it is worth it to some.

18 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

You are right...I get it. The pressure to succeed and capitalize on their talents while they are young. I suppose it is worth it to some.

I got to play to the level my talent deserved, then got to find it out even more playing against recent retirees from the NBA in senior leagues

and in my 50s without much lingering pain to complain about.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I got to play to the level my talent deserved, then got to find it out even more playing against recent retirees from the NBA in senior leagues

and in my 50s without much lingering pain to complain about.

Good for you. You still had talent most do not have. I ran several marathons up until 2002. I have no idea how I used to run like that. Now I go five miles and just laugh...we have to.

3 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Good for you. You still had talent most do not have. I ran several marathons up until 2002. I have no idea how I used to run like that. Now I go five miles and just laugh...we have to.

salute to anyone who runs, i never scoff at the time a colleague took to complete a distance run as they get older!

keep at it as long as you can safely do it.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

salute to anyone who runs, i never scoff at the time a colleague took to complete a distance run as they get older!

keep at it as long as you can safely do it.

I go 5 now...thats enough! it is very good mentally and spiritually!

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I go 5 now...thats enough! it is very good mentally and spiritually!

i gave it up when i put the shoes away, i was only interested in hauling it 30 or so paces up and down a court as fast as i could.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i gave it up when i put the shoes away, i was only interested in hauling it 30 or so paces up and down a court as fast as i could.

As long as you have something now! It keeps me sane.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:36 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...putting PED issue aside for a moment, I don't know what an NFL'er has for daily diet intake......look at some of these world class weight lifters...read where they must maintain a daily intake of 12,000+ calories......retire and drop down to 2,000 daily would cause some rapid changes IMO.......

My friends in the league ate atleaat 10,000 calories a day and lifted weights like machines

• Like (+1) 1