HAPPY DYNGUS DAY!!!

The Senator

It’s Dyngus Day - get ready to polka polka polka...

Ya got your bowling at Corpus Christi Church Sears St. Athletic Ctr., party at Adam Mickiewicz Library (Mickey’s), Dyngus Day parade, Dyngus Day Bash at Central Terminal, and pivo (beer) and wodka everywhere!

https://www.dyngusday.com/

Gals bring your ***** willows; guys bring your squirt guns!

Na Zdrowie!!!! ??

A06FACC8-99AE-46BF-B504-57A024D2D6FA.png

• Like (+1) 2

It's celebrated in South Bend... Even goes back further (1930s) than Buffalo's tradition.

There is debate which is older.  Buffalo is bigger!

https://visitsouthbend.com/events/dyngus-day/

Wow... Read this:

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Sober-Dyngus-Day-to-benefit-sober-womens-living-facility-508837121.html

Who needs a buzzkill! ?

Fr. Czeslaw Krysa (St. Casimir’s) wrote an article about the South Bend celebration. (Try as I might, I can’t find the link.)

Long ago, when was doing some post-grad work at Notre Dame, some students invited him to a big celebration - “Dyngus Day” they called it.  Of course Fr. Krysa knew all about Dyngus Day, but he was puzzled because it was June!

Apparently, they weren’t celebrating on Easter Monday.

Anyway, don’t know when the tradition started in Buffalo.  My dad came here from Krakow in 1950 and he tells me it was no big deal back then.  Some years later it was revived by a guy, Ted Mikol, President/Founder of the Chopin Singing Society.  It was mainly celebrated in the Polish communities around Buffalo until maybe a dozen or more years ago when a couple of guys, Eddie Dobosiewicz and Marty Biniasz, got together and organized the huge celebration and parade that we have today, and made Buffalo ‘The Dyngus Day Capital of the World’.  It was Eddie that went on CNN to take on Anderson Cooper for mocking our tradition.

Anyway, that’s about the extent of what I know about Dyngus Day in Buffalo.

(BTW, that’s Lenny Gomulka and the Chicago Push in that polka video!)

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 2

Channel 4 in Buffalo would interrupt an early round of March Madness to show the parade up to the early 1990s, had to go to a friend’s place who got the Erie feed.

the other Madness conflict was the Final was the same night as the Oscars so a house with one TV and no VCR has a problem

• Like (+1) 1

Sadly, Boston Bills Backers weren't able to host their annual Dyngus party today.

19 hours ago, The Senator said:

Fr. Czeslaw Krysa (St. Casimir’s) wrote an article about the South Bend celebration. (Try as I might, I can’t find the link.)

Long ago, when was doing some post-grad work at Notre Dame, some students invited him to a big celebration - “Dyngus Day” they called it.  Of course Fr. Krysa knew all about Dyngus Day, but he was puzzled because it was June!

Apparently, they weren’t celebrating on Easter Monday.

Anyway, don’t know when the tradition started in Buffalo.  My dad came here from Krakow in 1950 and he tells me it was no big deal back then.  Some years later it was revived by a guy, Ted Mikol, President/Founder of the Chopin Singing Society.  It was mainly celebrated in the Polish communities around Buffalo until maybe a dozen or more years ago when a couple of guys, Eddie Dobosiewicz and Marty Biniasz, got together and organized the huge celebration and parade that we have today, and made Buffalo ‘The Dyngus Day Capital of the World’.  It was Eddie that went on CNN to take on Anderson Cooper for mocking our tradition.

Anyway, that’s about the extent of what I know about Dyngus Day in Buffalo.

(BTW, that’s Lenny Gomulka and the Chicago Push in that polka video!)

Eddie D. is importing Dyngus parties to Cleveland and Pittsburgh as well.

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sadly, Boston Bills Backers weren't able to host their annual Dyngus party today.

Eddie D. is importing Dyngus parties to Cleveland and Pittsburgh as well.

I knew about Cleveland, but Pittsburgh is new to me.

I see ‘Airborne Eddie’ on occasion in my nostalgic wanderings thru Polonia, Mass at Corpus Christi, and - of course - for a Polish Platter at the R&L Lounge.

Lottie loves him!

( It took me forever to find this old video - Lottie and Eddie....)

Edited by The Senator