OT: need some advice on fishing

zevo

i'm taking a fishing trip in june with my brothers. i guess we will be fishing bass, perch, blue gill and crappie. My question is to those who are experienced anglers. I really dont know too much about fishing except what i have elarned fishing local pondsand a little at lake chattaqua. what type of pole should i be looking at. I want soemthin thats not to difficult to use but i dont want to use the kmart spincast special. I was looking at baitcasters. Any advicewould be great!!! also what type of bait or lure should i be lookin at. Thanks.

It would help to know where you are going to fish. For starters I would reccomend a medium action rod of 61/2-7' length. One of my favorite poles is the Ugly Stick Intercoastal model made by Shakespeare.

As for reels, I would not reccomend a bait caster unless you are serious angler. The past few years I have been using Shimano Sedona/Sahara 4000. It is a very reliable reel with a nice action.

i am going to some big man made lake in michigan. I was also looking at spinner reels, but they look complicated but seem to be the bets bet. also where is a good place to purchase a rod a nd reel either locally (western ny) or online?

Go ahead and buy that "blue light" special, hell, buy that dusty old rod and reel sitting in the corner at a garage sale and fill the reel with kite string....

The most important thing is: Buy a quality cooler, load it up with beer and ice and enjoy that fishing experience. :lol:

Creatins.

Is that a cretin who takes muscle-building nutritional supplements? :P

And zevo, don't bother with a baitcaster unless you're going ot have plenty of time to practice with it before your trip. They're more accurate than a spinning reel once you get good with them, but until you do get good with them you're going to spend more time untangling seriously annoying birds' nests in your reel than you will fishing; especially if you're on a large lake on a windy day. Baitcasters are best for getting into small spaces and underneath various obstructions (docks, limbs, opponents' boats, etc ;-), and you'll have a lot less fun if you're spending all your time wrestling with one you're not used to.

I'd also like to re-iterate txbillsjunie's most excellent suggestion. Catching fish may be the cherry, but putting your feet up and cracking multiple beers on the boat is the sundae. Make sure you have a good time regardless of how many fish you catch.

Cya

I'd also like to re-iterate txbillsjunie's most excellent suggestion. Catching fish may be the cherry, but putting your feet up and cracking multiple beers on the boat is the sundae. Make sure you have a good time regardless of how many fish you catch.

Cya

291451[/snapback]

Like the man said "You'll likely do more fishin than catchin so pop a few cold ones :P

Mostly because I use dynamite.  Fishing with a pole is for people who don't have access to explosives.  Creatins.

291118[/snapback]

If you have ever seen the movie "Doc Hollywood" the scene where MJF tells the guys not to hook their fugures is great.

"We're not using hooks"

BOOOOOOOMMMMMMM :P

I agree with the above poster that an Ugly Stcik is the way to go but 6.5-7 feet is way too long for panfish and bass. I do ma fly in in upper Ontario every year for walleye, smallmouth and pike and I use a 5-foot ultralite Ugly Stick and also have 5.5 and 6. I mostly rely on the smaller rod. Easy to cast and better yet, great fight on light tackle!

And Shimano makes a great reel, I believe mine is a Spirex 1000, small enough for the ultralite and not too small for the long poles.

Have fun anyway!