Was Mark Kelso the Best FS in Bills History?

PUNT750

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

I was at the KC game..sunny day. It was the only game my mother attended in her life..my dad took the entire family (6).P..S.- You have a very good memory!

That's awesome. Your mom saw a great game for the Bills. My memory is good on some things, wish it was better on others. ? I think those plays stick with me as special because I was a kid and the Bills were far and away the most important thing to me. I watched all of the road games and listened to all of the home games on the radio.  Some other "strange" ones that stand out vividly to me were from the 1978 season because that was my family's first in Virginia. I remember the Bills beating the Bengals, 5-0, and that they played Kansas City twice that year which was bizarre since they were not in the same division. Another vivid one for me also involved the Bengals the following season. The Bills routed them and Roland Hooks scored 4 TDs. I was walking around Kings Dominion amusement park with my family on a nice September afternoon dying to know what was going on...crazy what we hold onto sometimes. Thinking back, I don't know how I got by without cellphone updates, the internet, Sunday Ticket, or even just the ability to listen to the games on the radio or read every bit of Bills game info the following day in the newspaper once we left WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

Free safety. - Henry Jones, Tony Greene, Steve Freeman. All better tacklers than Kelso.  

On 1/25/2019 at 3:06 PM, Shaw66 said:

I wondered how deep into the thread I'd have to go to find Saimes.  

Saimes was a true free safety.  Strong got the tight end, free was free.  Saimes had GREAT instincts and was a fabulous tackler. Also a dangerous return man. 

He was probably the greatest the Bills ever had. 

I'd forgotten about Greene.  He and Saimes 1 and 2.   They were different eras.  Saimes was more dominant, league-wide, in his era.  

I think Saimes was a strong safety and I do not recall him returning kicks. 

Butch Byrd, a CB, was a very fine punt returner.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/25/2019 at 6:55 AM, Buffalo ill said:

I liked Kurt Schultz.  He was a thumper.

I have to vote for Kurt since during a game he was playing in at rich stadium me and my brothers were insulting him up and down to find out that his parents were sitting behind us. And then they show the replay of " his worst play" and clearly he was doing it right but the official blew the call. We spent the rest of game apologizing for blasting him to his parents.

• Like (+1) 1