Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Major mistakes of Edmonton Oilers management? One was axing Ralph Krueger, now head coach of the Buffalo Sabres

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/major-mistake-of-edmonton-oilers-management-one-was-axing-ralph-krueger-now-head-coach-of-the-buffalo-sabres/wcm/dcac2700-3bf1-4be9-bf3f-cad15ea812e9

Having the PP QB at the hash marks was actually somewhat of an innovative move at the time. Most PP’s were run from the point. 

Some interesting quotes from his opening press conference. Gives a good idea of what he may be about as the Sabres head coach. Definitely worth a read. 

This sounds a bit like McDermott 

Hes known for getting everyone in the organization on the same page and pulling in the same direction. Krueger is a “culture changer”. 

This is the first I have heard of him, but all that sounds good. I like the defense first part. You get a total team effort on defense going and you will have a solid team. 

Known for his leadership acumen and reputation as a masterful communicator, he is certainly a multi-faceted individual. Not only is he a best-selling author, but he has also served on the World Economic Forum to help advise on leadership practices. On the hockey side, Krueger is known as a supporter of modern analytics and tactical optimization. That, along with his well-documented leadership ability should pair nicely to provide the Sabres with what they’ve been missing behind the bench.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/5/14/18624144/buffalo-sabres-reportedly-closing-in-on-ralph-krueger-friedman-mckenzie

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ralph Krueger on the Instigators -

This is one hell of a  smart guy. At this point when you ask him a question you are not going to get the standard robotic cliché for a response.  My sense is that his players will not continue to make the same mistakes over and over and keep their ice time. I'm hoping that a physically talented player like Risto can improve his ice smarts under his tutelage. I'm really excited about him. 

• Like (+1) 5

I doubt that Don Cherry and he will be getting together too often at the local pub discussing world economics and trade policies. I'm also confident that Krueger doesn't buy his clothes at the same clown haberdashery that Cherry frequents. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I doubt that Don Cherry and he will be getting together too often at the local pub discussing world economics and trade policies. I'm also confident that Krueger doesn't buy his clothes at the same clown haberdashery that Cherry frequents. 

Are we now at the "make completely random comments about Ralph Krueger" portion of the thread?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'd pay money to see them together in a Coach's Corner segment.   

Matter and anti-matter.   It would be a hoot...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Are we now at the "make completely random comments about Ralph Krueger" portion of the thread?

Yes. It's that time where free floating expressions are acceptable although may not be appreciated by all. :)

On 5/13/2019 at 1:59 PM, JohnC said:

The below link is a 9 min. segment on WGR with play by play man for Edmonton. He talks about Ralph Krueger in very positive terms. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-13-oilers-play-play-man-jack-michaels-howard-and-jeremy-ralph-krueger

That's terrific...except Jack Michaels is an idiot who basically lucked into a hockey broadcasting career.

18 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's terrific...except Jack Michaels is an idiot who basically lucked into a hockey broadcasting career.

A person can be an idiot and a fool and yet say something that makes sense. Whether a person lucked into a hockey broadcasting career or his daddy set him up on the job that doesn't mean that his commentary on an issue should be dismissed out of hand.  What is apparent to me is that what he is saying is the same thing that a lot of people in the hockey business are saying about our newly hired coach. If you disagree with something that he said then point out what you disagree with. Dismissing his commentary just because you don't like him or have little regard for him is not a fair way to evaluate what he said.  

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A person can be an idiot and a fool and yet say something that makes sense. Whether a person lucked into a hockey broadcasting career or his daddy set him up on the job that doesn't mean that his commentary on an issue should be dismissed out of hand.  What is apparent to me is that what he is saying is the same thing that a lot of people in the hockey business are saying about our newly hired coach. If you disagree with something that he said then point out what you disagree with. Dismissing his commentary just because you don't like him or have little regard for him is not a fair way to evaluate what he said.  

Given that I actually know the guy,  i know he's just parroting things other people have said in his presence.   The next original thought out of his yap will be the first. 

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Given that I actually know the guy,  i know he's just parroting things other people have said in his presence.   The next original thought out of his yap will be the first. 

If you are in the hockey communication business and hear the same assessment from many people in the business about a person what's so wrong with coming to the same judgment? What you call parroting can also be called reporting. Again, being a jerk doesn't necessarily equate with automatically being wrong on a topic, especially if it is the prevailing view on the topic. 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are in the hockey communication business and hear the same assessment from many people in the business about a person what's so wrong with coming to the same judgment? What you call parroting can also be called reporting. Again, being a jerk doesn't necessarily equate with automatically being wrong on a topic, especially if it is the prevailing view on the topic. 

I never said anything about the take, only the source.   Settle down.

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

Are you a patent attorney?

Ralph Krueger: I've 52 stitches in my face. Believe me, I can be ruthless

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/16/ralph-krueger-ruthless-southampton-chairman-mauricio-pochettino

Ralph Krueger begins with an admission. And something approaching an apology. "This whole year was supposed to be a year off," the recently appointed Southampton chairman says. "But then I said to my wife: 'Oh, there's just this little thing with Team Canada. And now this.'"

It is Glenda that you have to feel for. "She probably hopes, especially when you get into the 50s, that we're going to slow down," Krueger adds. But this 54-year-old was never going to slow down. After 29 years of marriage, Glenda knows it and, during an afternoon in his company, it is clear that comfort zones and easy options are not a part of his make-up.

The little thing with Canada was the Sochi Winter Olympics, in which Krueger, a Winnipeg-born German national, worked as a scout for the ice hockey team. Krueger being Krueger, he scrutinised virtually everything, including the training sessions of potential opponents. "I love watching hockey games but Ralph's a freak," Ken Hitchcock, the Team Canada associate coach, said. "He watched 25 games in Sochi." Canada won gold.

Ice hockey is Krueger's first sporting passion.

The cross-over into Premier League football has a startling feel to it and yet, according to him, it is not even his sporting pedigree that has made it possible, although it has most surely helped. Krueger's credentials are rooted in him being the founder of a motivational speaking company; a best-selling author and, as of 2011, a core member of the World Economic Forum's council on new models of leadership. "We create platforms where we can communicate to the world leaders," he says, matter of factly.

When the Southampton owner, Katharina Liebherr, assessed the high-profile fallout from her dispute with Nicola Cortese, and the then club chairman's eventual departure from his position in mid-January, she moved to appoint Krueger. He joined after Canada had tasted Olympic glory on 23 February; indeed, he flew to England the next day.

I see people knocking Krueger’s time in the premier league, but me personally, I am amazed by it. 

He had absolutely no experience in the soccer world, yet he stepped right in and ran a team in the biggest, most popular league in the entire world and actually did a really good job at it. And the team was in transition at the time. It’s not like everything was perfect when he took over. The owner was in a squabble with the club’s chairman and things got messy I guess.

It gives me confidence that this Sabres job isn’t going to be too big for him. He’s never met a job that has been... 

This guy has never really failed at anything he’s done. As far as I can tell, he has always left a place better than he found it. 

Who actually broke the Edmonton Oilers Department of Player Personnel and how Ralph Krueger could fix it: 9 Things

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/the-combination-of-ralph-krueger-and-keith-gretzky-would-transform-how-player-personnel-is-handed-in-the-oilers-organization-9-things

A thoughtful man with a gift to be able to inspire people and an ability to extract the best from talent, Krueger not only survived the indignity of being unceremoniously fired by the Edmonton Oilers via Skype in 2013. He moved on and thrived on a much bigger, high-stakes stage.

But now fate has caused the paths of the Edmonton Oilers and Ralph Kruger to once again cross. The club is hunting for someone to overhaul this shipwreck and get her tattered sails righted again. The man is looking to set his next course.

Could they end up on the very same voyage?

6. When Ralph Krueger took over as Head Coach from Tom Renney he removed former Assistant Coach Kelly Buchberger from the bench. Why? Because to Ralph, Buchberger was a constant negative influence. And that did not fit Kruger’s outlook or style at all. But apparently it fit MacTavish’s. Because when Krueger was fired and Dallas Eakins brought in, guess who was right back behind the bench soon after? Yep. Kelly Buchberger. That says something about how MacTavish views skill and how to handle it.

5. People in and outside of the dressing room at this time recall how between Eakins and Buchberger the atmosphere behind the Oilers bench went from sweet to sour. Players with offensive flair often found themselves beneath the heel of the coaching staff and their G.M. The casualties mounted. After his best season to date under Krueger (14-24-38 in 48 GP) Sam Gagner’s game fell off and he was finally dealt. Jordan Eberle’soffensive output plateaued. Young Nail Yakupov enjoyed most of his productive time as an Edmonton Oiler under the tutelage of Krueger but circled the drain with Dallas Eakins & Co. By the time Chiarelli arrived, Nail was damaged goods.

Matches up with what I’ve read elsewhere - that many Oilers p,Ayers had their best performances under Krueger.