Bengals hire Zac Taylor as HC (Update - can’t find a DC)

YoloinOhio

On 2/4/2019 at 6:10 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Amazing that QB coaches (or less) getting HC jobs...

Crazy.

How so? Head coaches don’t usually call plays so there’s no need for major experience there. If he can command a room, be a leader and motivate his players along with working well with the QB...I don’t understand how that would be a “crazy” signing. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

How so? Head coaches don’t usually call plays so there’s no need for major experience there. If he can command a room, be a leader and motivate his players along with working well with the QB...I don’t understand how that would be a “crazy” signing. 

I believe Taylor said he would call plays. So not only has he never been an OC before. N he is going to be head coach without game planning experience he’s going to do something he’s never done in call plays 

34 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

You're right. Why do teams even have HCs?  All you need is a room commander and motivator!

But seriously, you think a 35 who has, for  most of his career in the NFL been an assistant position coach is going to "command a room" full of men, most of whom have never neard of him before---especially after he replaces one of the longest tenured NFL HCs in history?

That make s no sense.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Speaking of this... I heard yesterday a former NFL player say on radio that he talked to guys who played for Matt LeFleur (the other Dollar Store McVay) and he has none of these traits, nor did he run an impressive offense in Tennessee. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/12/2019 at 9:36 AM, GunnerBill said:

It isn't McVay level qualification but he was also interim OC and called plays when Dan Campbell was interim HC in Miami. 

Yeah, I'm not convinced by any means but it's too early to rule him out too.

Is he that much less qualified than Mike Tomlin was when the Steelers hired him? Tomlin had one year as a pro DC and the defense wasn't good that one year.And while I'm not thrilled by Tomlin, he's had a ton of success.

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Speaking of this... I heard yesterday a former NFL player say on radio that he talked to guys who played for Matt LeFleur (the other Dollar Store McVay) and he has none of these traits, nor did he run an impressive offense in Tennessee. 

I thought his offense in Tenn was distinctly unimpressive. And he will need to lead in Green Bay. If they have brought him in to be Rodgers' patsy that will go south quickly.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not purposely trying to be negative about the hire but I’m more than a little skeptical. McVay was at least an nfl OC before becoming a HC. Taylor was an OC for the UC bearcats for one (bad) year but has otherwise only been a position coach. 2 years ago he was an asst WR coach. I’m not predicting he will not work out but I am saying there isn’t a lot to there to predict that he will. That being said I’m sure the Bengals spent about $3 on this hire so if it doesn’t work out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

As I said before he was OC for 3/4s of a season in Miami too. His career arc is not normally that of a newly hired 1st year HC - it is a big risk.

7 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I believe Taylor said he would call plays. So not only has he never been an OC before. N he is going to be head coach without game planning experience he’s going to do something he’s never done in call plays 

He has called plays before though.  

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're right. Why do teams even have HCs?  All you need is a room commander and motivator!

But seriously, you think a 35 who has, for  most of his career in the NFL been an assistant position coach is going to "command a room" full of men, most of whom have never neard of him before---especially after he replaces one of the longest tenured NFL HCs in history?

That make s no sense.

This is a joke right? Sean McVay, Jeff Fisher...fans seem too quick to hate when it comes to coaches they have never heard of.  

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

He has called plays before though.  

This is a joke right? Sean McVay, Jeff Fisher...fans seem too quick to hate when it comes to coaches they have never heard of.  

Go look at what McVay and Fisher were doing before they we named HC.   Then you can edit the above post.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Go look at what McVay and Fisher were doing before they we named HC.   Then you can edit the above post.

I know his history and it's mostly made up of assistant positions.  He had three years as an OC and Taylor has had a year and change at OC.  Very similar resumes. Why couldn't a guy who has directly worked with QBs in a QB driven league be successful?  We will wait and see but I'd rather see what he can do before blasting it.  Sean McVay is too young to be a good coach...oh wait.

Edited by Buffalo30

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I know his history and it's mostly made up of assistant positions.  He had three years as an OC and Taylor has had a year and change at OC.  Very similar resumes. 

Jeff Fisher DC (and interim HC) with the Oilers, before that DC for the Rams and Eagles.  He coached for a total of 5 different teams in the NFL, 3 as DC before getting the HC job in Houston.  Horrible example for your argument.

McVay's resume is thinner, but he was still an OC for 3 seasons before he got his first HC job.

Taylor was an OC....for 5 games in Miami 4 years ago!  That was as high as he would go in the NFL...until the Bengals decided that was just enough for them.  I'll bet you there are lot of veterans on the Bengals scratching their heads over the GM hiring Jared Goff's QB coach as their.....HC?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Jeff Fisher DC (and interim HC) with the Oilers, before that DC for the Rams and Eagles.  He coached for a total of 5 different teams in the NFL, 3 as DC before getting the HC job in Houston.  Horrible example for your argument.

McVay's resume is thinner, but he was still an OC for 3 seasons before he got his first HC job.

Taylor was an OC....for 5 games in Miami 4 years ago!  That was as high as he would go in the NFL...until the Bengals decided that was just enough for them.  I'll bet you there are lot of veterans on the Bengals scratching their heads over the GM hiring Jared Goff's QB coach as their.....HC?

Jeff Fisher was a long time NFL coach just like Marvin Lewis.  Fisher had multiple seasons with the Rams.  Just because he wasn't with them the entire time doesn't mean he didn't carry his reputation with him.  

As head coaching hires go, they are quite similar.  Young, limited experience and haven't been a HC before at any level.  

Teams are looking for their long-term HC option, why not dip into the younger pool of coaches instead of the retread guys who have failed in the past.  Why not try something new?  If it doesn't work out, it's not like Cincy is expected to make the playoffs and be a contender.  

43 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Jeff Fisher was a long time NFL coach just like Marvin Lewis.  Fisher had multiple seasons with the Rams.  Just because he wasn't with them the entire time doesn't mean he didn't carry his reputation with him.  

As head coaching hires go, they are quite similar.  Young, limited experience and haven't been a HC before at any level.  

Teams are looking for their long-term HC option, why not dip into the younger pool of coaches instead of the retread guys who have failed in the past.  Why not try something new?  If it doesn't work out, it's not like Cincy is expected to make the playoffs and be a contender.  

Fisher and Taylor could not be more dissimilar.

McVay was a successful Coordinator in the NFL before the Rams made him HC.

Taylor wasn't ever hired  or successful as a Coordinator in the NFL.  No team has thought he even ready for that type of job, let alone HC.

I'm not saying it's crazy to hire a young guy as HC.  I'm saying it's crazy to hire a lightweight like Taylor as HC for a team that is struggling.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:43 PM, TheFunPolice said:

It odd but I think the Browns are about to take over that division

...their competitiveness will solely depend on the Snyder clone named Haslam staying out of Dorsey's way........unless he wants to lose Dorsey who would be scooped up in a nanosecond...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve heard similar stuff in from a couple sources. I have no idea about the guy, but I wonder how much the hire has to do with the QB he gets to/has to work with? 

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve heard similar stuff in from a couple sources. I have no idea about the guy, but I wonder how much the hire has to do with the QB he gets to/has to work with? 

I don’t know and there was some A-Aron slander out there this week from some of his former teammates too, stuff like his ego gets in the way and he’s entirely uncoachable. McCarthy would call plays and Rodgers just ignored him. He wants to run the team. He’s like the lebron of the nfl. 

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know and there was some A-Aron slander out there this week from some of his former teammates too, stuff like his ego gets in the way and he’s entirely uncoachable. McCarthy would call plays and Rodgers just ignored him. He wants to run the team. He’s like the lebron of the nfl. 

I heard that before he ignored them, he would roll his eyes! There’s a leader of men for you! 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fisher and Taylor could not be more dissimilar.

McVay was a successful Coordinator in the NFL before the Rams made him HC.

Taylor wasn't ever hired  or successful as a Coordinator in the NFL.  No team has thought he even ready for that type of job, let alone HC.

I'm not saying it's crazy to hire a young guy as HC.  I'm saying it's crazy to hire a lightweight like Taylor as HC for a team that is struggling.

The comparison that seemed to go over your head was Fisher to another long time coach, Marvin Lewis. It was the first line of the reply...

Cincy is a team that is in no mans land with Dalton. I think they know that and will be looking to move on soon, wouldn’t it be nice to have a guy who has worked with QBs for the better part of his career to potentially help a rookie QB? I’m not saying the guy will be good at all but to trash him before he even coaches a game or we know anything about the direction they are taking the team, is just too much of a knee-jerk reaction for me.