Does your office have grab bag gifts?

Another Fan

Everytime I get invited to one of those, I get the same thing: a giant jar of pickled eggs.

I love watching whoever gets it have to deal with a 2 foot tall, 12 lb jar filled with purple eggs. There's always a 'fight or flight' moment when they size up the jar and try to decide what to do next. Take it home? Leave it wherever we are? Throw it away?

They always take it with them, but after that its anyones guess. 

On 12/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, Another Fan said:

I have a party this week.  I’m always amazed though how worked up people get over it and or disappointed with the gifts.  To me it’s kinda a pain in the ass more than anything that you have to go through the motions of.  I got some flavored coffee last year but wound up giving it to my cousins wife.  

Yes, the office party is the perfect source for regifted gifts.

We have a pot luck lunch.  It’s fantastic.  About twenty people. Crock pots as far as the eye can see. Cookies, sheet cakes, pies.

Some store bought, most home made. You can sign up to bring things like soda, paper plates, etc. if you don’t want to bring food. 

On 12/19/2018 at 3:15 PM, Gugny said:

My office does Secret Santa every year.  This will be my 4th Christmas there.

First year, I drew a woman with whom I worked very closely.  I watched this woman get Taco Bell or McDonald's literally 5 days/week.  So I got her $10 gift cards to each.  She looked offended when she opened the card.  I got a bottle of Captain Morgan from another direct report.

Second year, I drew one of my supervisors.  I got her booze, which she loved.  A woman in our finance department gave me a handmade Bills fleece blanket.  Awesome.

Third year (last year), I drew my other supervisor.  Alcohol again - but I made a basket with all of the ingredients to make Malibu Bay Breezes (her favorite drink, which I found out from another coworker).  Cost me close to $30 when it was all said and done.  I don't know who got me, but I got this $5 watch that you'd find in a ***** Aldi.  Maybe even one of those gumball machine watches.  That's how pathetic it was.

That's when I said I was done.  And I am.  Never again.  Office can call me a Scrooge, but I don't give one iota of a *****.

Sounded like you found some of that spirit of Xmas joy though, the genuine happiness from seeing someone else happy, change your focus. Read as though you’d found some of that magic,  that’s enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:15 PM, Gugny said:

My office does Secret Santa every year.  This will be my 4th Christmas there.

First year, I drew a woman with whom I worked very closely.  I watched this woman get Taco Bell or McDonald's literally 5 days/week.  So I got her $10 gift cards to each.  She looked offended when she opened the card.  I got a bottle of Captain Morgan from another direct report.

Second year, I drew one of my supervisors.  I got her booze, which she loved.  A woman in our finance department gave me a handmade Bills fleece blanket.  Awesome.

Third year (last year), I drew my other supervisor.  Alcohol again - but I made a basket with all of the ingredients to make Malibu Bay Breezes (her favorite drink, which I found out from another coworker).  Cost me close to $30 when it was all said and done.  I don't know who got me, but I got this $5 watch that you'd find in a ***** Aldi.  Maybe even one of those gumball machine watches.  That's how pathetic it was.

That's when I said I was done.  And I am.  Never again.  Office can call me a Scrooge, but I don't give one iota of a *****.

?

Don't spoil it... I am starting to think Lil Gug picked up his humility and respect through osmosis.

Or... You're landscaper was named Jesus, right? 

Okay, I work in an industrial setting with all guys.  For close to 30 years...  Nada.  We have a female now.  I almost fell to the floor that I recieved a Christmas card in the mail from both bosses.  AND we all got gift bags with chocolate and an LED flashlight.

Should I be scared that the Holiday's have reached my employment?

It's not like we didn't put up a few holiday decorations... Had lunch, etc... Even get baskets and booze from the commercial boats, etc...