iPad Question

TSNBDSC

Don't hop on to the Apple train.

You'll get stuck buying nothing but over-priced junk, that looks pretty, after that first present. 

You're talking about a company that tried to sue independent repair shops for copyright infringement.

They literally glue battery and memory cards to their boards so you can't replace it yourself. They intentional wrap the antennae around the case so it breaks if you try to open it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Don't hop on to the Apple train.

You'll get stuck buying nothing but over-priced junk, that looks pretty, after that first present. 

You're talking about a company that tried to sue independent repair shops for copyright infringement.

They literally glue battery and memory cards to their boards so you can't replace it yourself. They intentional wrap the antennae around the case so it breaks if you try to open it.

My Galaxy 6s has a glued in battery.  I can easily change it if I take my time.  My Droid 4 in 2012 had glued in battery.  I do admit, they are ALL getting slick and slicker with screens, bezels, etc... Jusy like automobiles dealing with backyard mechanics.  The idea is to keep you LAZY and coming back in for service!

Here is my take.  LoL...

/start_rant

Apple is a hardware company.  I got three iSheeple in my family. /smh. I can't figure out why my Son switched to an Apple phone... He's an Engineer... PC guy when computing, coding, etc...  I guess he wants to disconnect his mind when on hand held devices... There is an ease of use with Apple, no user control distractions, side shows...

I love Android... I can customize my launcher, control files better, root easier, etc ... Doing things for years with gestures, etc... That iOS is just adding now.

But... Some people need to be led around by the ear, told what to do... It keeps good order.  I can't argue with that.

I am still a good authoritarian leftist.  There is a place for Apple.  Keeps the revenue stream going... Like iTunes going and it opens up more liberty for others to be left alone.

It really is a study in human nature. In a perfect world where EVERYBODY is left to control their user experience the wheels will come off.  Android, Google can try and market me the software, advertising route instead of expensive hardware... But I am trying to beat them as best as possible by being less marketable with my information I give, the ads I bite on.  I said: "trying" to.

Either way.  They will get your $$$$ somehow.  Yet,  we do need a certain amount of people who just lay down their $$$ for convenience... I get frustrated when wife buys a song on iTunes when we already own it on CD or it's bought on Sirius... I can easily encode it to .mp3 from CD, Sirius/XM, etc... Add, tag files, add the cover art.. But is my labor worth $.99 to $1.29... You bet it is!  LoL...

/end_rant

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Apple spent money researching, and producing custom screws that break easily and requires special tools to remove.

Imagine owning a car where the dealership has  the only set of keys to open your hood and gas cap, because they think you're too stupid to pump your own gas or change your oil, then realize there is a large group of consumers out there who think they're better than the rest of us because we want to get our hands dirty doing something so simple ourselves.

30 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Apple spent money researching, and producing custom screws that break easily and requires special tools to remove.

Imagine owning a car where the dealership has  the only set of keys to open your hood and gas cap, because they think you're too stupid to pump your own gas or change your oil, then realize there is a large group of consumers out there who think they're better than the rest of us because we want to get our hands dirty doing something so simple ourselves.

But they don't.  I have the Apple Torx drivers.  I replaced the battery in the 4s.

It's proprietary, but not impossible.  

15 hours ago, TSNBDSC said:

Can you play those facebook bingo games on an iPad ? Thinking about getting one for the wife for Christmas.  She plays them all the time on her PC and LapTop. 

You should be able to, unless it’s strictly a PC game. If there is a mobile version, it’s available in the App Store. There is an endless amount of games in that App Store... 

If you tell me the name of the game, I can look it up and tell you for sure. 

If it’s not s game from the App Store and you play it right on Facebook, You can download the Facebook app for the iPad so I am sure you’d be able to play it. 

I love my ipad. I had an old iPad 2nd generation and am now on my 2nd one (iPad Pro that I picked up last year). I pretty much use it as my main computer these days.

I'm and android/google guy through and through.  My son gave me an iPad he'd received from work, it's a slick little piece of machine.  I still love my google products but the ipad is great. 

To the original post, the amazon fire tablet has nearly identical functionality as ipad and google tablets at a fraction of the price, it has facebook, it has game apps, if the main driving factor is facebook games, go with the fire tablet.  Just my humble opinion

31 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

You should be able to, unless it’s strictly a PC game. If there is a mobile version, it’s available in the App Store. There is an endless amount of games in that App Store... 

If you tell me the name of the game, I can look it up and tell you for sure. 

If it’s not s game from the App Store and you play it right on Facebook, You can download the Facebook app for the iPad so I am sure you’d be able to play it. 

I love my ipad. I had an old iPad 2nd generation and am now on my 2nd one (iPad Pro that I picked up last year). I pretty much use it as my main computer these days.

• Like (+1) 1

My wife has two $50 Fire tablets that she plays her Facebook games on (Candy Crush and Bubble Witch).  As long as the tablet you purchase has a Facebook app, most anything should work fine.

My wife is the worst when it comes to electronics, hates her iPhone wishes it was still a flip phone.  She loves her fire tablet for Facebook and surfing the little she does.  Pros - price and price.  Cons -  not a user friendly OS, smaller (there are larger Fire tablets).  It’s actually a great little product.

It really comes down to what she will use it for.  Facebook mostly?  Other apps? Movies and Music?  Again, for really lite use, a Fire tablet is fine.  More apps, movies and music, I’d get an iPad.  Yes, a little more expensive than android based tablets, but worth the money IMHO.  I’m not an Apple fanboy, just like their IOS better than android and the quality of their products.  My personal opinion.  

On 12/10/2018 at 7:27 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

My Galaxy 6s has a glued in battery.  I can easily change it if I take my time.  My Droid 4 in 2012 had glued in battery.  I do admit, they are ALL getting slick and slicker with screens, bezels, etc... Jusy like automobiles dealing with backyard mechanics.  The idea is to keep you LAZY and coming back in for service!

Here is my take.  LoL...

/start_rant

Apple is a hardware company.  I got three iSheeple in my family. /smh. I can't figure out why my Son switched to an Apple phone... He's an Engineer... PC guy when computing, coding, etc...  I guess he wants to disconnect his mind when on hand held devices... There is an ease of use with Apple, no user control distractions, side shows...

I love Android... I can customize my launcher, control files better, root easier, etc ... Doing things for years with gestures, etc... That iOS is just adding now.

But... Some people need to be led around by the ear, told what to do... It keeps good order.  I can't argue with that.

I am still a good authoritarian leftist.  There is a place for Apple.  Keeps the revenue stream going... Like iTunes going and it opens up more liberty for others to be left alone.

It really is a study in human nature. In a perfect world where EVERYBODY is left to control their user experience the wheels will come off.  Android, Google can try and market me the software, advertising route instead of expensive hardware... But I am trying to beat them as best as possible by being less marketable with my information I give, the ads I bite on.  I said: "trying" to.

Either way.  They will get your $$$$ somehow.  Yet,  we do need a certain amount of people who just lay down their $$$ for convenience... I get frustrated when wife buys a song on iTunes when we already own it on CD or it's bought on Sirius... I can easily encode it to .mp3 from CD, Sirius/XM, etc... Add, tag files, add the cover art.. But is my labor worth $.99 to $1.29... You bet it is!  LoL...

/end_rant

Well, if you have a PeeCee or even a Mac (Heaven FORBID!) you can import all the music you want into your iTunes library and share them on all your devices. Don’t cost nuttin. 

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

Well, if you have a PeeCee or even a Mac (Heaven FORBID!) you can import all the music you want into your iTunes library and share them on all your devices. Don’t cost nuttin. 

Duh.

It's the first download.  We already own the songs on CD that She is buying on iTunes.  Why is she buying it again?  Say, conservatively she downloads 100 songs we already have... Why am I giving an extra 100+ bucks to Apple?

BTW, it is way more than that.  /wallbash

People are lazy. God knows what stupidity She is engaging in.  She did marry Me!  ?? 

Nice thing about this revenue stream, you can find anything you want with out the silly litigation two decades ago when people were sharing files.

Cultural has really been changed by Apple.  Made people lazy sheep, swayed by convenience.

:lol:

But if you think about it, nothing has really changed. Most people would opt for a power lawn mower over an old push style (or a goat). That’s a key to making a fortune these day as always - sell convenience to your customers. They appreciate it. 

9 minutes ago, Nanker said:

:lol:

But if you think about it, nothing has really changed. Most people would opt for a power lawn mower over an old push style (or a goat). That’s a key to making a fortune these day as always - sell convenience to your customers. They appreciate it. 

That's why they are called: iSheeple.  Because they will buy 2 power lawn mowers.

People are incredibly lazy.  That's the key to making a forturne.  Exploit the lemmings.