Josh Allen and the head shots

zow2

It's been noticeable since preseason and it happens every week.  He either takes a wicked head shot in the pocket while getting sacked or just running around back there.  Or, he will get his head slammed against the turf after he releases the ball or maybe on an unnecessary roughness play.   This type of playing is just not sustainable.  His brains will be scrambled by year 2.  Not that Darnold is anything to behold but he goes through his progressions quickly and gets the ball out fast.  He's not making himself a target.  

I can't really assess Allen's game going forward until I can tell what kind of passer he will be?  He's definitely showing signs of being a decent passer,,,and if the receivers wouldn't drop some easy receptions he would have better numbers. It's his rookie year and hes trying to make plays, I get it.  But Josh Allen will have to clean this up in 2019 and start throwing the football more and protecting his head and body.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

It's been noticeable since preseason and it happens every week.  He either takes a wicked head shot in the pocket while getting sacked or just running around back there.  Or, he will get his head slammed against the turf after he releases the ball or maybe on an unnecessary roughness play.   This type of playing is just not sustainable.  His brains will be scrambled by year 2.  Not that Darnold is anything to behold but he goes through his progressions quickly and gets the ball out fast.  He's not making himself a target.  

I can't really assess Allen's game going forward until I can tell what kind of passer he will be?  He's definitely showing signs of being a decent passer,,,and if the receivers wouldn't drop some easy receptions he would have better numbers. It's his rookie year and hes trying to make plays, I get it.  But Josh Allen will have to clean this up in 2019 and start throwing the football more and protecting his head and body.

The refs through a fair amount of roughing penalties to discourage that today.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Cam goes through this every year. If you run and expose yourself to taking hits players will try and hit you, and even though it results in some penalties it's worth it for the defense. Right now Allen's in survival mode just trying to prove he belongs, so he's doing/trying anything. I suspect he'll rein it in some with better protection and another guy or two who can get open. He takes way too many shots.  

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

He'll take a lions step forward in his progress next year since priority number one in the off season is to get some interior linemen on this team..not too mention a burner flanker and a solid week in and week out possession flanker. He sure could use a capable TE as well....I feel sorry for him right now since he has very little talent around him..it's almost laughable.

bottom line...he won't be running around next year like he's been doing this year.

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Cam goes through this every year. If you run and expose yourself to taking hits players will try and hit you, and even though it results in some penalties it's worth it for the defense. Right now Allen's in survival mode just trying to prove he belongs, so he's doing/trying anything. I suspect he'll rein it in some with better protection and another guy or two who can get open. He takes way too many shots.  

Thats a solid take. I pretty much agree w you.  I don’t blame him for just letting his natural instincts take over in his rookie season.  He’s trying anything to win.  Next year hopefully the game slows down and he can read and react to coverage faster.  He’s in hero-mode right now and he’s taking a beating for it.  If he gets hit on the brain 5 times in a game and the refs call it twice, that’s a win for the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I think this is because we are fielding one of the worst olines in Buffalo Bills history. He has been getting the ball out on time when he has protection.

7 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

When you are successful running qb the D will take cheap shots on you, see Cam Newton.

It also seems that the refs are less willing to throw the flag when you are a running qb also see Cam Newton.

True but also unfair.