A Few Thoughts About the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

9 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

You should watch the last 3 weeks of Bills games.   

Try being honest.  

I watched them. Here are the stats for the games you cited as proof of Allen as a QB:

image.thumb.png.d62d82921d453f283e73e93822710a95.png

Here are the stats for the great Matt Barkley with the same personnel:

image.thumb.png.d13a9c8d93b63b0c21d85bd613a87302.png

I suggest that it's you who might benefit from paying attention to what you have been watching.

14 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I watched them. Here are the stats for the games you cited as proof of Allen as a QB:

image.thumb.png.d62d82921d453f283e73e93822710a95.png

Here are the stats for the great Matt Barkley with the same personnel:

image.thumb.png.d13a9c8d93b63b0c21d85bd613a87302.png

I suggest that it's you who might benefit from paying attention to what you have been watching.

I’m glad you decided to only post the passing stats. And not total yds and tds 

It says a lot about what anyone trying to talk to you is dealing with. Of course we should just discount over 300 yds in the last 3 games just because it was rushing, right? Its better to only look at half the picture and post the stats that prove your crap points. Makes PERFECT sense. 

While we’re at it. It nice you left out the fact that he made all the plays he needed to on what should have been a game winning drive in Miami and then drove his team down to take the lead last week with 2 min left. 

Thank you for this. Let’s just post half his numbers with no context. Speaks volumes.... the only thing that’s crap around here is your posting. Not Allen. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I’m glad you decided to only post the passing stats. And not total yds and tds 

It says a lot about what anyone trying to talk to you is dealing with. 

I never said he can't run. I said he has been an utter failure so far at passing the football. I have an odd view of evaluating a QB because I want him to be able to throw the ball accurately, make quick decisions, and not turn it over.

Take a look at the QBs in Super Bowl history who failed at those three things and won anything. It's not a long list. How many QBs have had successful careers by just gaining yards on the ground? Is there one?

For the hundredth time, he might get better because he is a rookie, but his history in college didn't indicate growth, so I remain pessimistic.

What he might become is unknown. What he has been is terrible by any measurement.

You maintain he has been good in the last 3 weeks. If these are his stats next season you will think he is terrible. Your only valid argument is that we should wait to see how he turns out. To argue he has been good without taking into consideration that he is a rookie is something that even you don't believe. At least one would hope you are grading him on a curve.

13 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I never said he can't run. I said he has been an utter failure so far at passing the football. I have an odd view of evaluating a QB because I want him to be able to throw the ball accurately, make quick decisions, and not turn it over.

Take a look at the QBs in Super Bowl history who failed at those three things and won anything. It's not a long list. How many QBs have had successful careers by just gaining yards on the ground? Is there one?

For the hundredth time, he might get better because he is a rookie, but his history in college didn't indicate growth, so I remain pessimistic.

What he might become is unknown. What he has been is terrible by any measurement.

You maintain he has been good in the last 3 weeks. If these are his stats next season you will think he is terrible. Your only valid argument is that we should wait to see how he turns out. To argue he has been good without taking into consideration that he is a rookie is something that even you don't believe. At least one would hope you are grading him on a curve.

He was solid in the jags game OVERALL. He was GOOD in the Miami game. And he wasn’t good Sunday. He’s got to get better as a passer. I’m generally inclined to think that not running for his life behind a sieve of line would be a good start to that. 

He’s literally been asked to do everything as a rookie on a team with no talent. 

I get it. You won’t acknowledge his overall impact passing AND rushing. Or any other context that has anything to do with the team around him. 

That’s fine. Do your thing. That doesn’t mean it’s not stupid and that people aren’t gonna point that out. 

The guy has accounted for 260 of 340 yds against the jags. 360 of the 415 against the fins and then 310 of the 360 vs the jets. He’s on his own. And running for his life doing it. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 minutes ago, Kemp said:

To say he's a utter failure at passing is stupid and you know it.

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He was solid in the jags game OVERALL. He was GOOD in the Miami game. And he wasn’t good Sunday. He’s got to get better as a passer. I’m generally inclined to think that not running for his life behind a sieve of line would be a good start to that. 

He’s literally been asked to do everything as a rookie on a team with no talent. 

I get it. You won’t acknowledge his overall impact passing AND rushing. Or any other context that has anything to do with the team around him. 

That’s fine. Do your thing. That doesn’t mean it’s not stupid and that people aren’t gonna point that out. 

The guy has accounted for 260 of 340 yds against the jags. 360 of the 415 against the fins and then 310 of the 360 vs the jets. He’s on his own. And running for his life doing it. 

Raise your hand if you thought Allen was brought here to run the ball. No one ever said that before he played a game. He is supposedly a classic drop-back passer.

He runs so often because he takes off out of the pocket way too soon.

He often releases the ball too late.

A 52.4 completion rate is good?

A 62.4 Passer rating is good?

5 TDs and 9 interceptions is good ?

Buffalo's defense is number 1 in the NFL in yards given up and the team's record is 4-9. Sure there are other contributing factors, but every single poster here knows without question that your QB is the number one most important player in winning or losing.

By the way, I've noticed that none of you can account for the fact that a career 3rd-stringer like Barkley in 1 game  performed far better than Allen has in any game. Yeah, it's only one game, but if Allen performed like that some of you would be acclaiming his already being great.

Maybe next game or next season Allen will step up as a competent NFL QB , but not so far.

19 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Raise your hand if you thought Allen was brought here to run the ball. No one ever said that before he played a game. He is supposedly a classic drop-back passer.

He runs so often because he takes off out of the pocket way too soon.

He often releases the ball too late.

A 52.4 completion rate is good?

A 62.4 Passer rating is good?

5 TDs and 9 interceptions is good ?

Buffalo's defense is number 1 in the NFL in yards given up and the team's record is 4-9. Sure there are other contributing factors, but every single poster here knows without question that your QB is the number one most important player in winning or losing.

By the way, I've noticed that none of you can account for the fact that a career 3rd-stringer like Barkley in 1 game  performed far better than Allen has in any game. Yeah, it's only one game, but if Allen performed like that some of you would be acclaiming his already being great.

Maybe next game or next season Allen will step up as a competent NFL QB , but not so far.

300 total yds in back to back games....I get it. you are one of those guys that cares HOW they get it and not that the ball was getting moved in general. I get it.... its just lame.

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

300 total yds in back to back games....I get it. you are one of those guys that cares HOW they get it and not that the ball was getting moved in general. I get it.... its just lame.

Rushing yards over winning, for a QB. Got it.

I like when a QB throws more touchdowns than interceptions and he wins. If that's lame, I'm fine with it. 

14 hours ago, Kemp said:

I never said he can't run. I said he has been an utter failure so far at passing the football.

Troll much?  That's a pretty extreme viewpoint you're expressing there.

What have we seen from Allen as a passer so far?

-some breathtaking, high degree of difficulty, willing to stand-in and take a hit throws

-some catchable throws where big-boy NFL WR and TE make that catch, ours didn't

-some wtf? way off throws where it's not clear whether the ball went nowhere near where he wanted it to, or whether the WR didn't run the route he expected as he expected (at times, the latter has been confirmed)

-some boneheaded throws that resulted in interceptions

-some bad throws, most worrisome when they are the short or midrange throws that are a working NFL QB's bread-and-butter

-too many non-throws, where there were open targets downfield whom either Allen didn't see, or didn't have time to see

I don't really think there are too many people here who would disagree that Allen must progress and improve to be the franchise QB we all hope he becomes.

I also don't think there are many people who have actually watched him play who would say "utter failure at passing the football" is an apt description of what we've seen so far.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kemp said:

Raise your hand if you thought Allen was brought here to run the ball.

Allen was brought here to score points. Over the last 3 games we've averaged 21.3 points per game which ranks 20th in the NFL over that time frame. Of course he will need to improve. Right now he's a rookie playing without a single weapon and some of the worst blocking in the league. Yet over the past 3 games we've had 1,110 yards of total offense (which by the way ranks 12th in the NFL over that time frame), and Allen has personally accounted for 84% of those yards. He is far and away the primary reason we're moving the ball and putting up points at all, as a rookie with zero help. Yeah I'm satisfied with 20th in the NFL in scoring in that context.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Troll much?  That's a pretty extreme viewpoint you're expressing there.

What have we seen from Allen as a passer so far?

-some breathtaking, high degree of difficulty, willing to stand-in and take a hit throws

-some catchable throws where big-boy NFL WR and TE make that catch, ours didn't

-some wtf? way off throws where it's not clear whether the ball went nowhere near where he wanted it to, or whether the WR didn't run the route he expected as he expected (at times, the latter has been confirmed)

-some boneheaded throws that resulted in interceptions

-some bad throws, most worrisome when they are the short or midrange throws that are a working NFL QB's bread-and-butter

-too many non-throws, where there were open targets downfield whom either Allen didn't see, or didn't have time to see

I don't really think there are too many people here who would disagree that Allen must progress and improve to be the franchise QB we all hope he becomes.

I also don't think there are many people who have actually watched him play who would say "utter failure at passing the football" is an apt description of what we've seen so far.

Stats don't lie. His stats in college were eerily similar.

Yes, he might get better, but right now he is a bottom 10 starting QB.

Has anyone answered my question about why Barkley produced miles better than Alen has so far?

5 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Has anyone answered my question about why Barkley produced miles better than Alen has so far?

That's laughable.  Stats lie all the time, because they are either used incorrectly or more often interpreted incorrectly.

Here's an answer to your question.  Barkley produced in one game first of all.  And if you know anything about statistics, an N of 1 doesn't give you am leg to stand on.  But why did he do so well against the Jets in that one game?  Because the Jets D laid down, and because Barkley is a veteran QB that has been around the block more than Allen and knows more right now about reading defenses.  So he had a good game.  Not miles better than Allen, but a good game nevertheless.  And history would show that a backup QB like Barkley may have good and bad games; put him in again and he may wet the bed.

Your statement that Allen is an utter failure at passing the ball is even more laughable than your thoughts about stats. You are one of those dopes that hang on completion percentage as some Holy Grail of performance.  Look up some of my posts elsewhere on the fallacy of using that as a sole arbiter of QB play if you want to learn something about stats.   And then go back, watch some of Allen's throws.  He does a fine job throwing the ball downfield, misses some as most especially young QBs do.  But anyone with any sense of objectivity to them will tell you Allen can get the ball downfield pretty well for a rookie.  Unless you have an agenda that doesn't allow you to see what is right in front of you.  Which apparently you do.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:44 PM, HappyDays said:

Allen was brought here to score points. Over the last 3 games we've averaged 21.3 points per game which ranks 20th in the NFL over that time frame. Of course he will need to improve. Right now he's a rookie playing without a single weapon and some of the worst blocking in the league. Yet over the past 3 games we've had 1,110 yards of total offense (which by the way ranks 12th in the NFL over that time frame), and Allen has personally accounted for 84% of those yards. He is far and away the primary reason we're moving the ball and putting up points at all, as a rookie with zero help. Yeah I'm satisfied with 20th in the NFL in scoring in that context.

We are now bragging about passing for a total of 3 TDs in 3 cherry-picked games against poor competition and for being ranked 20th in that timeframe. 

How low can this bar go?

He's a rookie so he gets an incomplete grade, but these results next year will be a disaster to near everyone here.

Hopefully he figures it out. Else it's time to look for yet another QB.

By the way, I think Foster and McKenzie might not turn out to be as bad as portrayed by many here.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:50 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. Because that’s what I said.

You put words in my mouth. I returned the favor.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That's laughable.  Stats lie all the time, because they are either used incorrectly or more often interpreted incorrectly.

Here's an answer to your question.  Barkley produced in one game first of all.  And if you know anything about statistics, an N of 1 doesn't give you am leg to stand on.  But why did he do so well against the Jets in that one game?  Because the Jets D laid down, and because Barkley is a veteran QB that has been around the block more than Allen and knows more right now about reading defenses.  So he had a good game.  Not miles better than Allen, but a good game nevertheless.  And history would show that a backup QB like Barkley may have good and bad games; put him in again and he may wet the bed.

Your statement that Allen is an utter failure at passing the ball is even more laughable than your thoughts about stats. You are one of those dopes that hang on completion percentage as some Holy Grail of performance.  Look up some of my posts elsewhere on the fallacy of using that as a sole arbiter of QB play if you want to learn something about stats.   And then go back, watch some of Allen's throws.  He does a fine job throwing the ball downfield, misses some as most especially young QBs do.  But anyone with any sense of objectivity to them will tell you Allen can get the ball downfield pretty well for a rookie.  Unless you have an agenda that doesn't allow you to see what is right in front of you.  Which apparently you do.

Did I use completion percentage as a sole arbiter?

I pointed out that he is last in the league by a large margin in release time. Poor in TD-INT rate. Throws late to receivers. 

These were the complaints about him in college. Pattern or correctable?

We don't know yet.

If these results change next season, none of this matters. If they don't, he'll probably bust.

That people think he has been decent to good this year is unrealistic. The only question is whether he is a struggling rookie or not good enough.

That's  not even a bad or negative way to view him. He has time to become good. We all hope he does or the franchise is royally screwed.

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

And just like in college he has a crap offensive line, a bunch of rookie receivers, a nonexistent run game and an OC who likes to call a lot of mid to deep passes that require the line to block more then a split second. 5 to 7 step drop backs usually require 3 seconds or more.

Barkley miles better? If you look at this seasons win/loss record you would notice that when the team gets the lead they are actually able to run the ball with success. The defensive pass rush works so much better with a lead. Barkley came out and hit a 47 yard big pass play, deep ball in the first play and in the second McCoy scored on a 28 yard TD run.

The Bills got the lead and never looked back, 41-10 remember? Barkley wasn't magical or anything as he went 16 of 26 for 247 yards, 2 TDs and he was sacked only once. What was magical was the rushing as the Bills went 46 rushes for 212 yards, 2 TDs and Shady had his first 100 yard rushing game of the season. His only 100 yard rushing game. 

The Jets QB was sacked 3x in this game and the Bills defense hit him 8 times. 

Conversely, this last game against the Jets they sacked Allen 3x and hit him 10 times. The Bills defense were not only unable to sack Darnold, they also never hit him all game.

I think this was more of Bills DC only rushing with the front four and not blitzing that rookie QB. Which is quite odd considering that Jordan Poyer got a sack on McCown in the first game. There is also the possibility that the refs weren't calling holds on the Bills pass rushers due to the Jerry Hughes incident in which a ref was suspended for cursing at Hughes.

Josh Allen has a lot to learn no question as he wasn't as polished as Mayfield, Darnold or Rosen and was supposed to sit for a season like Patrick Mahomes.

I just happen to love his desire to win, his arm talent, physical ability to outrun most defenders and am glad the Browns, Jets passed on him. Once he gets a decent line, decent receivers and has an OC who doesn't force him to carry the offense all the time. He could develop into another Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben.

Edited by Nihilarian

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

Did I use completion percentage as a sole arbiter?

I pointed out that he is last in the league by a large margin in release time. Poor in TD-INT rate. Throws late to receivers. 

These were the complaints about him in college. Pattern or correctable?

We don't know yet.

If these results change next season, none of this matters. If they don't, he'll probably bust.

That people think he has been decent to good this year is unrealistic. The only question is whether he is a struggling rookie or not good enough.

That's  not even a bad or negative way to view him. He has time to become good. We all hope he does or the franchise is royally screwed.

What can I tell you?  You are slavishly devoted to stats that may or may not mean much.    You say he's last in release time. You know why?  Because he has an Oline that cannot protect him on anywhere near a regular basis and thus he scrambles around more trying to make a play.  On the occasions where he gets protection, watch him.  He sets up better in the pocket now than he did earlier in the year, he makes his reads, and has delivered the ball pretty accurately overall.  Yes he misses a few, as do all young QBs.  His TD/Int ratio?  He has to know not to throw the ball back into the middle of the filed when scrambling, that accounts for a couple.  And it would be great if his receivers would actually catch the ball when thrown to them.

You fall into the trap so many fall into.  You look at stats as a be all and end all and don't really think about all the variables that can go into said statistic.  Again, I listed a bunch in another thread, but here's one more to think about.  Who is actually doing the analysis?  Do they know enough about football to make an intelligent assessment.  Do they have an agenda against a player that skews their perspective?

I'll give you an example we saw on this board this week, courtesy of the rober guy who clearly has an anti- Allen agenda.  It involved the dropped pass by Clay over the middle.  He claimed it was a bad throw by Allen, not a problem with Clay.  He started out by erroneously talking about how Clay was running a post and how the ball should have been over his shoulder. He wasn't; he was slanting across the field.  He then erroneously talked about how you knew it was a post because the ball hit him on the 39 and he stumbled on the 44 yard line.  Not even close to being right; the ball hit him on the hands on the 42 and he fell between the 43 and 44 (again, because the pattern was a slant and not a post).  The it was the ball was at his feet, and when several people pointed out the fallacy of that then he claimed it was below the waist.  The reality, as indicated by many, was the ball was right out in front of him, waist high, nice accurate and precise throw, which Clay dropped, and then held his hands to his head as if to say How could I have dropped that ball? 

Now, that is one play.  Imagine if you have guys who don't really know that much about what they're seeing doing that for every play around the league, and you start to get why I am not a huge fan of some of the stats thrown around.

Allen is a work in progress.  He has a lot to learn.  So do all the young QBs.  Allen needs to continue to have the game slow down for him, although one can see that it is starting.  As the game slows down he should make quicker and better decisions with his throws.  He needs to continue working on mechanics, especially on passes that require more touch than velocity.  But based on his 8 games to date, he also brings some skills to the table that seem fairly unique.  His arm will allow for more open routes downfield because he should be able to fit passes into tighter windows with his velocity.  You pooh pooh his running but that is a nice weapon to have, and opens up the field for the passing game.  He has the intangibles one looks for in a QB such as leadership and work ethic.  His teammates believe in him.  Does that all mean he's the QB for the next 15 years?  Too early to tll, but my gut says yes.  Could eb worng of course.  But it won't be because he doesn't give it everything he has to be the guy. 

And it won't be because fans who have an agenda and say he's an utter failure as a thrower.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

We are now bragging about passing for a total of 3 TDs in 3 cherry-picked games against poor competition and for being ranked 20th in that timeframe. 

How low can this bar go?

He's a rookie so he gets an incomplete grade, but these results next year will be a disaster to near everyone here.

Hopefully he figures it out. Else it's time to look for yet another QB.

By the way, I think Foster and McKenzie might not turn out to be as bad as portrayed by many here.

You put words in my mouth. I returned the favor.

What a buffoon on the Internet thinks of me is pretty unimportant.

he's referencing his overall numbers over 3 games and the % of the offense he's accounting for. they happen to be the last 3 games since his injury. you may not understand this but he had time to sit and develop a bit more so the 2nd half the season has been a little more crucial and telling than the first half.....you are obviously hung up on one certain aspect of his game that needs work and cant understand or comprehend anyone bringing up other aspects that are phenomenal or the context in which he's doing it. 

I think its fairly evident what the majority around here thinks of you.

have a nice day.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

he didn't. you have serious issues understanding all aspects of the game and you may want to consider watching something else if you cant grasp anything more than raw passing stats.

Edited by Stank_Nasty