Daboll...Playaction, Deep routes, Allen's running all connected...

13 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Well said. Mike Martz ran a mid to deep passing scheme and it worked brilliantly until the Rams lost their star players on the O line. 

Running a mid to deep passing offense is a big reason as to why this team is currently 4-8. At the start of the season Peterman nor Allen could read a pre snap defense very well or set protections properly and when the team got behind in points at the start of the game the OC went pass happy with his mid to deep routes.

The problem here was that the QBs didn't have time in the pocket to make those throws thus the 6 sacks against Baltimore, the 5 sacks against the Chargers. The next game against the Vikings the Bills got the lead, found the run game and never looked back. Still, 3 sacks allowed. Against Green Bay the next week it was a blowout loss as the team got behind in points, went pass happy and allowed 7 sacks. 

The point is you need a balanced offense in one that can run and pass the ball without putting the QB under constant duress. Josh Allen looks like a Can Newton clone only with a worse offensive cast. The Panthers fired their previous OC and hired Norv Turner to get Newton out of that run frame of mind and into a stay in the pocket and pass frame of mind as running QBs usually don't stay healthy in the NFL. 

The 2018 Buffalo Bills are currently 13th in rush yards mostly because the QB has a 6.8 YPC avg with 4 rushing TDs. I only hope Allen survives the season at this point. 

Don't get me started on Mad Mike Martz.  Martz did OK while he had Dick Vermeil reining him in.  when he became HC and ran the whole show, his ego inflated until the dome couldn't hold it.

I disagree with your assessment about the problems at the start of the season but lack time to dig up the evidence.  Let's just put it in that Daboll or Castillo was getting far far too cute with his blocking schemes and our OL simply couldn't execute, and that adding speed to give an effective deep threat has been key but  there were guys open and plays to be made, and I don't think Daboll was going nuts with "mid to deep routes" earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't get me started on Mad Mike Martz.  Martz did OK while he had Dick Vermeil reining him in.  when he became HC and ran the whole show, his ego inflated until the dome couldn't hold it.

I disagree with your assessment about the problems at the start of the season but lack time to dig up the evidence.  Let's just put it in that Daboll or Castillo was getting far far too cute with his blocking schemes and our OL simply couldn't execute, and that adding speed to give an effective deep threat has been key but  there were guys open and plays to be made, and I don't think Daboll was going nuts with "mid to deep routes" earlier in the season.

I didn't say he was going "nuts" calling mid to deep passing routes. However, I did say he went pass happy as he was calling for far more passes vs runs when the team got behind in the score for as little as 3 points. This made things particularly difficult for those inexperienced Bills QBs who really didn't know how to read a defense or set protections. This resulted in quite a lot of pressure and sacks on the QBs with that crappy Bills Oline.

While McCoy led the team in receptions in 2017 he was basically being ignored by Daboll in both the run game and pass game a lot of the time at the start of this season.

Ravens game, McCoy 7 attempts rushing, 3 targets, 1 reception. Once Allen took over for Peterman his first pass was incomplete deep right to Zay Jones. Next pass, incomplete deep right for Charles Clay. Next pass complete short middle Andre Holmes 14 yards. Next pass, incomplete deep left Kelvin Benjamin...and so on. The best offensive weapon option on offense was almost ignored in McCoy with only 8 touches all game. 

Chargers game, McCoy 9 attempts rushing, 4 targets, 4 receptions. 13 touches for a player who should be seeing 20-30 touches a game. 

Packers game, McCoy 5 rushing attempts, 6 targets, 3 receptions. 8 touches again...really?

It wasn't until week 10 this year for McCoy to finally get a 100 yard rushing game. The main reason McCoy has 478 yards rushing with 2 TDs after 11 game starts is because when the team gets the lead (wins) this OC sometimes finds/starts calling for the run game. 

My point being I can see the OC calling for a deep bomb now and again to put the fear of god in the DBs and make them respect the deep pass so the run game would be more viable. The thing is, this OC sees the team get behind in points and doesn't even attempt to run the ball much or utilize the teams offensive star player in LeSean McCoy at all. Shady is also one of the most, if not the most reliable pass receivers on this team. Getting the best player on offense (McCoy)and putting him in space should be the primary focus of this entire offense. 

In order to get that rookie QB some confidence the run game needs to work as well as short to mid passes, screen passes, dump offs to the backs. The run game seems to be an afterthought and only when the team has the lead and wants to play keep away or eat some clock.

Mid to deep passes should not be the main focus in the Bills passing scheme as the current line simply cannot protect long enough to allow 5-7 step drop backs on a regular basis. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Daboll did call plays for the mobile QBs at Alabama as well.  Personally, I am really excited to see what he can do with the next year's roster.  Wondering if Daboll changes the team's perspective on the type of wide receivers we should have.  Benjamin was far too slow to be successful with Allen.  Speed and the ability to separate I think is even more important with a player like Allen who can throw it as fast and as far as he can.  Hope we focus on adding speed to that WR core and also at the tight end position.  I think TE is a big need as well with Daboll.  

Right it is what been calling for all off season. People message or even in person looked at me like an idiot.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What I like about Daboll is he obviously went to McDermott and Beane and said "if you want me to get effective play out of Allen with this talent around him I need some speed". McKenzie and Foster are not great players but they have helped the offense. 

I am relatively optimistic that Daboll will get significant improvement on offense in 2019. 

Its gonna be interesting to see what happens tomorrow....the last slow WR "has been trimmed"

Now everyone on the field is fast.....Deonte Thompson and Ray Ray are different kinds of players then KB

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..so as he works through another career stop as OC, how does he get mentioned in another thread as a potential HC candidate?......where and why for the alleged meteoric rise when his previous OC stops have all be only for one year deals?.....what happened?.........

I don't think he will get a shot as a HC. As for what happened his last NFL OC shots were a long time ago. Maybe they just came to early for him. Or maybe he isn't very good and even with upgraded talent will produce a bottom 3rd offense.... but I think he has done a reasonable job with what he has been given this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Man, so many Bills fans have such low expectations now...

Currently the 2018 Buffalo Bills have 4 wins-8 losses and the offense is 31st in points, 31st in total offensive yards, 26th in passing attempts, 31st in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs.

6th in rushing attempts, 13th in rushing yards, 16th in rushing TDs and the QB Josh Allen is the #2 rusher in 8 out of 11 games with 389 rush yards, 4 rushing TDs. A big reason the team is 16th in rushing yards is because of that QB.

Josh Allen is a freak of nature with that arm of his and his ability to make plays with his legs. His current record is 3-4 and I can only think that with a better line, better receivers and better coaching he would have this team contending for a division title this year

Yes, I said coaching! The run game coordinator/coach in Juan Castillo stinks. In 2016 the Bills were #1 in rushing yards per attempt, last year they dropped to 14th in rushing yards per attempt under Castillo and this season with the very same running back in a super star LeSean McCoy they are 23rd in rushing yards per attempt AND again mostly because of QB Josh Allen. 

Brian Daboll also stinks as the ONLY time guy has seems to call an entire good game is when the team gets the lead and he actually utilizes the run game with McCoy. The best receiver on offense from last season has basically been ignored. It makes me laugh that some fans actually think that Daboll would even be considered for an NFL head coaching job.

The guy has been calling plays all season like he has an experienced veteran QB behind center and not two rookies at the start. His play calling actually worked well with Matt Barkley at QB because the guy is an experienced veteran QB AND the team managed to get the lead. Against the Jets, Barkley threw a 47 yard deep pass to start the game and in the next play McCoy ran for a 28 yard TD run.

McCoy only has 2 rushing TDs all season...he had 6 rushing TDs in 2017, and 13 in 2016. McCoy hasn't lost a step from what I see. It's the current crappy O line and the inability of the OC/run game coordinator to get him in space, get him some holes to run through. 

This years offense stinks badly and the only bright spot for the future is rookie QB Josh Allen. Now, if only he had a Sean McVay clone setting up the offense/calling plays. 

22 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I heard an interesting comment by Steve Tasker.

The longer throws are hurting Josh Allens completion percentage. To many longer 20 yard passes which are harder to complete.

Tom Brady is using far more 5-10 yarders which are easier to complete which drives his percentage up

Yes. This is true. Allen has the highest air yardage pass attempt distance at least he did as of a week or so ago.

Allen may never be a 60 percent passer because he likes to push the ball dowfield, he likes to make the big play not settle for check down. We'll see how this develops/changes over the next year 

I think one thing is for sure, the Bills are not going to be running a west coast style offense with Allen 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right it is what been calling for all off season. People message or even in person looked at me like an idiot.

Need a fast number 1.  Tough to find those though.  Benjamin was the slowest I've seen any receiver run routes.  I'm interested this week to see what these faster youngsters can do for Allen.  These youngsters look like they've mostly been improving since camp.