Ralph was only dissenting vote

millbank

NFL owners yesterday offered another endorsement for the Jets' plans to build a West Side stadium, voting to award New York the 2010 Super Bowl. Only one catch: There has to be a stadium for the game to take place.

Yesterday's 31-1 vote, with only Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson dissenting, comes on the heels of a unanimous vote from the league's Super Bowl committee on Tuesday. The owners are in Hawaii for their annual spring meetings.

If the Jets fail to win the rights to the stadium project, the NFL will award the game to another city, although there is no timetable for any decision.

Why would Ralph be the only one not to vote for it?

New York Superbowl

Why would Ralph be the only person to vote against it?

286705[/snapback]

Because the NFL as a whole thinks that this is good for their collective bottom line. Incorrect, I think. It will just give the Jets the best stadium and the best market in the country, furthering the gap between the haves and the have nots.

On the other hand, they will perhaps have more leverage when negotiating their own new stadium deals in the future.

Think about how bad this situation is for the state of NY. The gov'r wants to spend what $300 million on stadium for the Jets, which may or may not land the city the olympics. Aren't there more pressing needs in the state of NY than sending the taxpayers money to a frigging football stadium? This would never happen to the Bills I guarantee. Of course, Buffalo isnt the financial center of the world either. Don't get me wrong, they deserve their own stadium, I just dont think its right for the state to fund a large portion of it. This is something that should be put to a vote in the state.

I'm just glad I dont live there anymore.

i just think it is wrong that no true northern stadium will ever host the Super Bowl as it basically discriminates against the northern states. I think it would great to have the game in the snow. Football is meant to be played in the elements, not indoors like tagliabue wants (where is the middle finger smilie :blink: )

I hope that is what Mr. Wilson was thinking. I hope he realized that the rest of the state would be footing part of this bill and he made this vote with that in mind.

Think about how bad this situation is for the state of NY.  The gov'r wants to spend what $300 million on stadium for the Jets, which may or may not land the city the olympics.  Aren't there more pressing needs in the state of NY than sending the taxpayers money to a frigging football stadium?  This would never happen to the Bills I guarantee.  Of course, Buffalo isnt the financial center of the world either.  Don't get me wrong, they deserve their own stadium, I just dont think its right for the state to fund a large portion of it.  This is something that should be put to a vote in the state.

I'm just glad I dont live there anymore.

286718[/snapback]

I hope that is what Mr. Wilson was thinking. I hope he realized that the rest of the state would be footing part of this bill and he made this vote with that in mind.

I made a similar post earlier about how ralph was looking out for the interests of WNY, which in turn looks out for his interests. Plus it just shows everyone why this man should be in the hall of fame. Dude floated loans to the raiders and pats, formed the AFL, won 6 conference championships, and he's still waiting. I just hope that Ralph's decision to dissent makes some press.

It's obviously the first step in a campaign to get the state to cough up $190 million to put a roof on the Ralph and award Buffalo the 2020 SuperBowl.

What, no secret ballot?

These owner meetings must be like a meeting of the Dons used to be.

"Ahhh, but if my son should have an accident and be hit by a bus or a falling piano before he gets cleared of these false charges - this I will not forgive..."

Ralph has been consistant with regards to Super Bowl locations. He thinks it should ALWAYS be in a warm weather city. The Super Bowl is more than a game it is an event, a two week event with hundreds of parties (outdoor events).

It's Ralph's way of saying FU back to the league and owners in a very small way for how Buffalo has been hosed over the years. Once a long time ago Ralph said FU to the wrong person. Four SB losses later the Bills will never make it past the first round of the playoffs until he sells the team to one of their guys.

Go Bills !

Ralph has been consistant with regards to Super Bowl locations.  He thinks it should ALWAYS be in a warm weather city.  The Super Bowl is more than a game it is an event, a two week event with hundreds of parties (outdoor events).

286776[/snapback]

Sorry, but Ralph is wrong about this. Did he have a bad experience in the SB in Minn.?

Why would someone not want to have a 2-week influx of football fans with cash in hand for their region? Why should only the South and California get this boom?

I'd be all right w/ the Jets building a stadium, if it was done w/ their own fuggin' money. This is for the same reason I wouldn't give IBM free money for their buildings. Yeah, it attracts people to a specific area, but it does not magically create money for the economy, it just diverts it.

Ralph has been consistant with regards to Super Bowl locations. He thinks it should ALWAYS be in a warm weather city. The Super Bowl is more than a game it is an event, a two week event with hundreds of parties (outdoor events).

Business 101 - you've got to market to your audience. If you've been to a SB lately you'd know that the marjority of the audience (super stars, corporate bigwigs etc.)are there to see and be seen.

Weather would be one of their highest priorities.

Business 101 - you've got to market to your audience. If you've been to a SB lately you'd know that the marjority of the audience (super stars, corporate bigwigs etc.)are there to see and be seen.

Weather would be one of their highest priorities.

287012[/snapback]

Like the one in Nawlins a few years ago when it was 20 degrees at the Superdome? And it was 40 in Buffalo?

Possibility of snow in the North, mudslides in California or hurricane aftermath in the South. Is one better than the others? It's time the Super Bowl was delivered back to FOOTBALL FANS than a horde of celebrities looking frantically for the nearest camera so they can continue the circle-jerk that is their business plan.

It's Ralph's way of saying FU back to the league and owners in a very small way for how Buffalo has been hosed over the years.  Once a long time ago Ralph said FU to the wrong person.  Four SB losses later the Bills will never make it past the first round of the playoffs until he sells the team to one of their guys.

286908[/snapback]

what? :lol::doh:

dude, go hang ten and get off the weed...

Sorry, but Ralph is wrong about this. Did he have a bad experience in the SB in Minn.?

Why would someone not want to have a 2-week influx of football fans with cash in hand for their region? Why should only the South and California get this boom?

I'd be all right w/ the Jets building a stadium, if it was done w/ their own fuggin' money. This is for the same reason I wouldn't give IBM free money for their buildings. Yeah, it attracts people to a specific area, but it does not magically create money for the economy, it just diverts it.

286941[/snapback]

UConn..........It's nice that their are folks out there who actually still think the Super Bowl and it's associated events are for us fans. Sorry the parties and most of the game tickets are for Corporate sponsors and the folks who run those companys. And the great majority of those people want to pack warm weather clothes not boots, mufflers and chapstick. Don't get me wrong I would love to see the game in Chicago, Buffalo or even Green Bay, but alas it won't happen.